Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I'm looking forward to Charles Soule writing all the big two books.

2014 - The Year Of Soule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Sundowner posted:

You really think The New 52 thing will be permanent? I figured it would stick around for a few years as promotional and eventually be phased out.

Edit: I quite literally meant the New 52 logo and the general idea of it being "The New 52" and not just regular comics. (I know they are just regular comics but from a marketing and branding view point)
I'm surprised the New 52 branding is still there, Marvel tends to have branding/banners on their book for maybe 5-6 months. I think, though, "The New 52" will be forever what this DC continuity will be referred as, even though it's not really "new" (and there aren't 52 books anymore), in much the same way people referred to pre-Crisis and post-Crisis etc.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Black Widow looks decent but if she even loving mentions the phrase "RED IN MY LEDGER", I'm dropping the poo poo out of it

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I didn't mind the organic webshooters but god drat that story which introduced them loving sucked.

Jenkins did great work on Spider-Man then he seemed to just suddenly forget how to write (and had Ramos as an artist, which didn't help).

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Dan Didio posted:

What was it, the Other?
No, it was an Avengers: Disassembled tie-in in Spectacular Spider-Man. It was remarkably similar to The Other though, it involved an insect-y villain called The Queen who incapacitates Peter, he ends up in a cocoon and when he emerges he has some new powers. Captain America showed up for 5 minutes too.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Waterhaul posted:

Spider Island had a lot of dumb poo poo but I can't totally hate it for removing all the Other and chosen spider nonsense from Peter and transferring it over to Kaine.
Did he seriously? Honestly, one thing which started putting me off Slott was when he became the Marvel Continuity Cop. The organic shooters were literally never mentioned, and while I enjoyed the JMS Spider-Totem stuff, it also could have gone entirely unmentioned by other writers.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Sundowner posted:

Thanks. I'll probably just read them digitally and then pick up back issues if I ever see them. So there are some things in Morrison's New 52 version of Batman Inc. that relate? I do plan on reading those books.

This is something that's still weird to me with comic books, Snyder's Batman run is taking continuity bits from Batman Inc. and yet the two books are so wildly different in scope and tone it just seems weird to make believe that they're the same Batman or that those events are somewhat concurrent. I know I shouldn't be questioning continuity in comics because that's just the way it is but it's still an odd concept to me at times like this.
Just think of it all as reasonably concurrent, the continuity gets sorted out later on. DC kinda let Morrison finish off what he'd done, even though it didn't really fit with the rest of the New 52 in some ways. It all gets pretty neatly wrapped up anyway.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Choco1980 posted:

Whoa whoa whoa. You're omitting an awful lot of details of why this was dumb, and I've only read a synopsis from a cracked article some time back.
I haven't read the story since it was published 10 years ago or whatever, so I couldn't remember most of the details. All I could remember was that the whole thing was really, really bad.

I didn't mind the Ezekiel/Morlun storyline, it was quiet good really. It just got bad when it was revisited with The Other.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Enid Blyton had Golliwog characters in the Noddy children's books

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Yeah, there's a bunch of "lost" Doctor Who episodes because of it, although I think they were in storage in some BBC vault, and were partially decayed/destroyed by a fire or something.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

The Dagda posted:

Wasn't sure what the best thread for this was, so here goes: I'm reading backissues of Daredevil on Marvel Unlimited, and I'm at Daredevil #118 during the Brubaker run, which came out in 2009. I noticed that after #119, the next available issue is #500. This is just a renumbering, right? Are there any other issues in there that Unlimited is missing that I need to grab elsewhere?
Yeah it just renumbered, but I think you're going to be wanting to stop soon when Brubaker's run ends.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I picked up Goldfish during a holiday sale, and it helped reminded me of why Bendis was a big deal once. It's really groundbreaking and thoughtfully done, and... well... when was the last time he did something you'd call "groundbreaking?" Ultimate Spider-Man, maybe? It's just kind of a bummer to think of all the promise a writer showed early on and look at their output now, all too often.
As much as I criticise it, what he did with Avengers was pretty amazing. It's not groundbreaking in the sense that it wasn't anything particularly new, but it was really fresh (for a time, at least), and really generated interest in what was an incredibly flagging series for years (I suppose arguably the Busiek/Perez run did the same thing, although to be honest I flipped through the first issue of that a while ago and it didn't really grab me).

e: Sorry, this point has already been made.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Mister Roboto posted:

So I've been thinking lately. Since SA's sort of declining (mods are all leaving, half the forums are a mess, etc.), are there any other decent comicbook discussion sites? Most of the ones out there are pretty low traffic, and SA has some good posters, especially here. I don't read much else but BSS and a few games threads these days, but the comicbook discussion is slightly above the average internet.

Maybe it's a good idea if the best of BSS is backed up and a replacement forum or something is considered.

I was considering setting up a comicbook site; I've been working on annotating some of my favorite series (mainly Udon's Street Fighter) and I was thinking why not go all the way and make a full on comicbook discussion site?

Note: not interested in drama or exploring why or why not people agree or disagree over the forums' state. I'm just asking for opinions on alternatives just in case.
Fun-fact: There used to be what was essentially an off-site SA Comics forum before BSS existed!

e: Yes, MLF on sketchyorigins. There are a few posters in BSS, or in other parts of SA, who used to post there/run it.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Feb 1, 2014

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Deadpool posted:

Yeah that was the site that 20Two and I started along with a number of other goons.
It was actually how I found SA.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Deadpool posted:

We had a Bill Jemas Appreciation Forum, which if I remember correctly was basically our version of the Gas Chamber. How could you not sign up on a site like that?
Haha I'd forgotten that!

I think Puck archived the entire board somewhere.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Don't Dan Didio and Grant Morrison both care about the Metal Men?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Good thing he can sell his 20 year run of Spawn to make bail

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

Because they're the epitome of what's wrong with superhero comics at the big two. They're badly written, imposed top down editorially, and created solely with the intention of being as disruptive as possible.
Well actually, for the most part, the Marvel events have been fairly creator driven, which really gives them less of an excuse for why they weren't well executed. Civil War was suggested by Millar and Bendis at a creative retreat, Secret Invasion and Siege were all just part of Bendis' mega-arc on Avengers. As mentioned several times, while the scope of Fear Itself was pretty editorially-driven, it was originally just a collaboration between Brubaker and Fraction. Maybe there is a push by editorial to have a bit Summer crossover, but Infinity really showed how to do one right.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I know it's just tacky at this point, and I normally wouldn't make fun of Liefeld, but he posted this recently as stuff he's working on (he's genuinely doing some GI Joe stuff so the middle one is fair enough).

The other two though... :ughh:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Are Cyclops and Cable supposed to be in them?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Yeah, people like Land. His art looks good on the surface. It's only if you actually look a bit deeper, you'll see it's incredibly dead and lifeless, and that he's obviously loving tracing it.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

WickedHate posted:

drat it. I just looked at April solicits and apparently the Son of Satan is going to be in Avengers Undercover and I really want to read it now solely for that fact.

In happier news apparently Moon Knight is ditching the tuxedo. I like the design of the outfit on the cover of issue two a lot.
I don't think it's being ditched, I was asking Shalvey about the book on Wednesday and he said there were new costumes in the first few issues. I guess it is story-related. I don't see the white suit being ditched though.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

All the first few issues are done-in-ones, there is an overarching story running through but it probably won't read any better collected like a standard 6 issue arc would or whatever.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I wouldn't say so necessarily, but I think him doing a Moon Knight book will probably help sales. Having Shalvey and Bellaire doesn't hurt, either.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I think those last two are headshot and head and torso sketches

e: Actually no it's not. They're both some sort of inked art.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Mar 7, 2014

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I've never read Hitman but for ages Jordie Bellaire thought that I was John McCrea.

That's my Hitman story.

e: I'd imagine any tv/film adaptation of it would be complicated because of the completely unrelated video game series which has already been adapted as a film. I guess they could just do what they did with Avengers here and call it "DC's Hitman Hassembles" or something.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

There are quite a few because you regularly see a bit of tablet-chat between artists on Twitter.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Dave McCaig is pretty great too. I loved him colouring Yu's New Avengers.

Oh, and Nathan Fairbairn. His colours on Burnham's Batman Inc were great, and if anything highlights how much a colourist can bring to a comic book, it's Scott Pilgrim - the original art was good, but it just really pops with Fairbairn's colours.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 9, 2014

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Actually I just looked up Dave McCaig's Wikipedia page and saw his picture and now I don't like him anymore.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Agents of SHIELD might not be so bad if the characters weren't utterly dull and/or annoying.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

you say kernel, i say colonel

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

The first series or two of Red Dwarf aren't great, but 3-6 are fantastic.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

From the Spider-Man thread:

Edge & Christian posted:

It looks due for a cancelation/relaunch, given the fate of all of the other Marvel books that sold under 30,000 in December (January sales figures are out but Superior Foes didn't have an issue that shipped in January)
code:
Nova 11				$3.99	Marvel	27,982 
Cable And X-Force 17		$3.99	Marvel	27,712	(canceled/relaunched with new team)
Fantastic Four 15		$2.99	Marvel	27,610	(canceled/relaunched with new team)
Uncanny X-Force	15		$3.99	Marvel	27,567	(canceled/relaunched with new team)
Savage Wolverine 13		$3.99	Marvel	27,490	
Superior Spider-Man Team Up 7	$3.99	Marvel	25,514	(canceled)
Thunderbolts 19			$2.99	Marvel	24,959	
Superior Spider-Man Team Up 8	$3.99	Marvel	24,296	(canceled)
Avengers Assemble 22.INH	$3.99	Marvel	24,168	(canceled)
Secret Avengers 12		$3.99	Marvel	23,863	(canceled/relaunched with new team)
Secret Avengers 13		$3.99	Marvel	23,172	(canceled/relaunched with new team)
Young Avengers 13		$2.99	Marvel	23,019	(canceled/ended as planned?)
Young Avengers 14		$2.99	Marvel	22,692	(canceled/ended as planned?)
FF 15				$2.99	Marvel	22,034	(canceled)
Scarlet Spider 25		$3.99	Marvel	21,627	(canceled/relaunched as New Warriors)
Superior Foes of Spider-Man 6	$2.99	Marvel	21,367
Superior Foes of Spider-Man 7	$2.99	Marvel	20,858
Avengers Ai 7.INH		$2.99	Marvel	19,879	(canceled)
A Plus X 15			$3.99	Marvel	18,648	(canceled)
X-Men Legacy 21			$2.99	Marvel	18,574	(canceled)
Fearless Defenders 12		$3.99	Marvel	14,252	(canceled)

It's loving criminal that X-Men Legacy's sales dipped below 20k before it finished. It was one of the best books on the shelves for the entire run.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Sundowner posted:

I want to read more creator owned works. Are there any stellar ongoing or new series starting up and are there any must-read books I should catch up on? I think I'm going to catch up on Snyder's The Wake. I guess what I really mean is creator owned works from the likes of DC and Marvel writers because chances are if it's a legit indie writer then I'll be more inclined to look in to their book regardless, whereas I guess DC/Marvel folk do creator owned stuff a lot less frequently so I don't know what to look out for.
Brian K. Vaughan has done several. Y: The Last Man is kind of divisive, Ex Machina was pretty good (about a former superhero who becomes Mayor of New York), and he is currently doing Saga which is a wildly popular sci-fi series.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Yeah, I stopped reading everything somewhere around Heroic Age. Waid's Daredevil got me back on board, the combination of that and a good new store opening. Like any hobby, you can easily get burned out. It can be good to take a break until something new catches your eye and pulls you back in.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Dude just wanted to read some Spawn.
He's obviously unhinged.

I don't understand how someone could be so obsessed with Spawn if they weren't reading it since the 90s. :psyduck:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

theflyingorc posted:

What's the worst possible mistake we can make to cause maximum anger?
Call Kieron Gillen "Mrs. McKelvie".

Or vice-versa, if McKelvie would ever bother showing up to a con. :argh:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Round two of Ebay fun, maybe somebody even more crazy will bid this time? 15 new auctions!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/rcwhitey/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=
Is that a dollar for everything or a dollar per comic?

Also if I buy the Bishop stuff can you just send me Bishop: The Last X-Man #16 and throw the rest in the bin?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I think it was just the fact that Iron Man, as a character, wasn't much of a sell at the time compared to, say, Spider-Man. It was thought of as something which comic book fans would go to see, but the general public wouldn't bother with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Spawn guy wasn't done.

So how do I report an Ebay user for harassment?
Dude, he just bought 50 Spawn comics which he is presumably going to read. He's going to suffer enough. :smith:

• Locked thread