Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
Have I harped all over about how much I love Private Eye because it's made to be read on a big fatty computer monitor? NOTHING, not even a single webcomic, has made me feel quite so good about a 27" monitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Squidster posted:

Isn't Invincible already a misery parade of eyeball shrapnel? I'm sure this next gritty onslaught of violence will totally be shocking and invigorating.

Invincible was one of the first books I picked up in trade form when I got all gung ho about comics 5-6 years ago. I binged through a ton of it then went... 'ugh, I can't stand one more intestine or eyeball or compound fracture, I just can't.' And that was it.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Lurdiak posted:

I strongly advise against looking into the storage practices of basically anything you might consider valuable television or film history. Or video games, for that matter.

Or like, NASA video of moon landings.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Lurdiak posted:

All I know about whatever's going on is that GBS went from a place where people yell at each other over news items, praise Macklemore and finance hot dog carts to a place that's funny as hell and that bad posters are afraid to touch. I had no idea there was a downside to this.

Praising Macklemore right here, jerk!

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRiX5Mh2YCo&t=101s

Thanks guys, I appreciate that. And really, of I would throw a fit everytime things don't go my way I'd become an hermit since a long time ago, and I'm also stubborn as gently caress :v:

I assure you throwing a fit every time doesn't hurt your ability to fit in on BSS, not one bit :v:

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Sanschel posted:

He did a one-shot with Chris Claremont called X-Women, about the titular X-Women having some weird adventure (Rogue inherited a yacht or some nonsense). Not much in the way of plot or story, it was clearly just Claremont setting up Manara for cheesecake panels, and all the women having the exact same face with different hair and skin tones got distracting.

X-Women on X-Jetskis!

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
I just watch twitter.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Sundowner posted:

So the moral of the story today is that my Spawn books are really only worth $1... right??

You should be so lucky.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
Even at a $4 cover price, if I was exceeding the standard deduction with donated comics I would seriously rethink my comics buying :v:

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
I liked his work on Nightwing back in the day.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Metal Loaf posted:

It's the gold chain that does it.

But it matches his teeth!

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Madkal posted:

Anyone here going to ECCC this year?

Yes.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Lurdiak posted:

Which one of you guys did this to me? :(

Yeah, that misplaced apostrophe is a tragedy.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Sarchasm posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and bet that you telling us why you want to know about Batman's figure skating ability is more interesting than any answer you're going to get on the topic.

Also, for what it's worth (and because I appreciate that you've put this image in my head), I vote no. No, Batman can't figure skate. Nightwing, possibly.

I would bet that this would be a Robin job if it came up, and Bats would be his mean manager.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

CzarChasm posted:

Thanks, but I really don't need assistance pissing away more of my cash. (Seriously, I just checked ebay and was disappointed with how few cards I saw there.)

You want about 100 of the 90s Marvel cards? Opened and all but. Free?

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Sundowner posted:

I want to read more creator owned works. Are there any stellar ongoing or new series starting up and are there any must-read books I should catch up on? I think I'm going to catch up on Snyder's The Wake. I guess what I really mean is creator owned works from the likes of DC and Marvel writers because chances are if it's a legit indie writer then I'll be more inclined to look in to their book regardless, whereas I guess DC/Marvel folk do creator owned stuff a lot less frequently so I don't know what to look out for.

A lot of people really love Brubaker's creator owned stuff, Sleeper and Criminal and Fatale. Greg Rucka did a book called White Out I'd recommend about a woman cop at the North Pole investigating a murder.

Marvel's Kieron Gillen did probably my favorite indie books, Phonogram, about phonomancers (modern magicians in England who manipulate people via music).

I assume you're already aware of Buziek's Astro City?

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Sundowner posted:

Any recommendations for any good post-apocalyptic or rebuilt society type stories? I've been writing my own thing lately but I'm kind of running flat on inspiration and now I'm just in the mood to read some good post-apocalypse stories that really sell the setting and the different kinds of people or factions that form.

Read the first book of Cholly and Flytrap and I really liked that so I'm definitely going to pick up more of that.

You might like Revolver, by Matt Kindt.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Waterhaul posted:

And God said unto Noah gather two of every kind of pouch and wear them at once.

Gahaha.

Is that a wolf or a cat or a wombat and someone take that poor tiger to a dentist.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
Young Justice was a really fun, good show with the usual number of flaws. It turns out fans love catchphrases, by the way. They're what solid shirt sales empires are built on.

My biggest problem with the show was the ballooning cast. Clearly it heard the people grumbling that the show wasn't JLU WHY ISN'T IT loving JLU and tried to give it to them, which wasn't good for me, but ah well. I prefer a show with a small tight core, even if it gets bogged down in the occasional Red Tornado episode.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
Coffee is a lie. Synesthesia in a cup. Smells like cake, tastes like dirty rear end.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

qntm posted:

Arrest Batman? How?

Guy is in the police station all the time!

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Sundowner posted:

I just found out about this book: http://www.dccomics.com/comics/robin-rises-omega-2014/robin-rises-omega-1

Is this going to be a comeback for Damian or do you think they're going to create a whole new Robin?

Damian.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

You're killin' me. :laugh:

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Waterhaul posted:

Awww cheer up little buddy, you'll grow up to be Nightwing some day.

Why you gotta troll me, Waterhaul?

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

WATERHAUL YOU SON OF A BITCH

(I should make that thing my new userpic)

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
My shop limits you to two free comics as well, which is ok by me. They don't make you buy anything to get them, though.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

CharlestheHammer posted:

I guess I am the only one who hates it and thinks it looks dumb.

Makes him look fat.

It looks like poo poo, but ZS is so far up Frank Miller's rear end it was bound to look like that.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Madkal posted:

What other celebrities are huge comic book fans?

Seth Meyers :3:

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Waterhaul posted:

A lot of the "real scoops he gets" as Edge & Christian highlighted just comes from breaking embargos and stuff like that and playing them off as breaking news or being one ahead of others. He also has a habit of constantly name searching and scouring message boards like this, taking posts out of context and re-purposing them as "anonymous sources". I wouldn't call him the closest thing to an actual journalist when the likes of Tom Spurgeon exist who actually report on issues and don't make judgements or posts without facts.

He actually did good reporting a few years back on creator's rights issues, but that was some pretty unusual performance.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
To steer it away from the icky, whenever Gambit comes up it's pretty funny. People talk about Dick Grayson being there for the gays and the ladies, but Gambit not only appeals to the ladies he INFURIATES a lot of guys. Especially comics writers.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
Grant Morrison is overrated.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Archyduke posted:

It's the year 2014, "rape jokes aren't cool" should in no way be a controversial or contrarian position. Jokes about sexual violence are a lovely way to get a laugh and Ennis has a history of leaning on them heavily, and that's absolutely a valid critique of his work, and something that you need to grapple with when talking about Ennis. He's written some good things, ok, but we shouldn't sweep the grossness-- a lot of which is foregrounded in The Boys-- under the rug, or give it a pass.

Yeah. I don't want to call Ennis old, because I don't think he is, but I think that like a lot of comedians he's juuuuuuust behind the curve of where social mores are ending up. And if he keeps only the fans who cling to 'no rape jokes are AWESOME' then he'd be upset, himself, to have that kind of following. I'm sure he's catching up as fast as he can. Ideally.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
I liked what I've read of Hitman, although I haven't finished it. Mostly liked it.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Waterhaul posted:

Identity Crisis is one of those amazing stories that no matter how terrible you think you remember it there is always something more horrible waiting under the surface.

It's so good.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

WickedHate posted:

Everyone talks about bad states and never mentions Arkansas. I can only assume this is because it's so bad, if you don't live here, it retroactively erases itself from your memory.

I have an awful ex-boyfriend there, ergo, it does not exist.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Identity Crisis was a good comic and a terrible comic, because it depends entirely upon your definition of 'good.'

Like, it's impossible to argue that Identity Crisis did not fulfill its remit; it was a Big Event by an Actual Novelist who had a longtime love of comics (I remember reading one of Meltzer's novels and being tickled that three supporting characters were named Ollie, Dinah, and Roy; it's the kind of thing that's meaningless to most but is a nice bonus for savvy readers). It got people talking about DC at a time when there wasn't much to talk about at DC. It looked pretty, it sold like hotcakes, and it brought interest from a bunch of places that hadn't had interest before - not to mention the fact that, as lovely as the ending turned out to be, it still kept enough people guessing to get them to keep buying the book. By those lights, it was a success - to DC, it was a good comic.

That said, the mystery was resolved in the cheapest, laziest way imaginable; it was full of scenes that looked great and yet fell apart the moment you stopped to actually think about them; it involved several 'heroes' acting despicably and set the tone for some of the laziest grimdark comics we've ever seen in the post-Chromium Cover age, while the few bits of decent plot material that could have been mined from it were inevitably ignored. It was lovely. It was just plain lovely hackwork.

It was a good gimmick, but that doesn't mean it was a good comic... unless you're not really invested in the medium or you work for DC. It was a classic example of the kind of short-term thinking that has plagued DC for decades - make the books sell now, who cares if it fucks us six years down the road?

To put it another way... Identity Crisis was kind of like Barry Bonds' winning the season Home Run record in baseball. It was interesting to look at and to a casual fan it was very compelling, but to most actual baseball fans - who get that there's more to the game than hitting home runs, which is one reason his team didn't make it to the postseason that year despite having inarguably the best hitter in the majors on their roster - it's not the be-all, end-all.

Making statements about the kind of person who likes a particular comic is probably not that smart. Because I'm as invested as you'll ever be, and I don't work for DC.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
My favorite Spectre is still him going to ask heaven about gays.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

zoux posted:

Well she had the original clown suit and then ???

America's not ready for a gay Batman.

They don't speak for all of us! :swoon:

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
Batman's Shameless Sexuality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

zoux posted: