Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

If you really want to start at the beginning of stuff I'd suggest tracking down the start of the recent volumes of Avengers and New Avengers instead of starting at Avengers World. Those series both are starts of all new story arcs that are being continued in Avengers World.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

Get Green Arrow starting from 17.

Yeah, GA 17 was basically a soft reboot on the book and a good jumping on point for the series.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ghostlight posted:

Organic sucks because the location doesn't make any sense and it disconnects Peter's intelligence from his superhero persona :colbert:

Mechanical webshooters are stupid because Peter's "spider" abilities then boil down to able to climb walls. Spiders aren't exactly known for their strength or danger sense.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

StumblyWumbly posted:

When did Spider-Man have organic web shooters? Was that during JMS?

Yeah, he got them during the Avengers Dissasembled event and then kept them through OMD.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

CzarChasm posted:

The whole thing was an absolute mess, but yeah that was a big one. I do wonder if the Vincent Price episodes are in or out. Last I heard it was an "absolutely not" from his estate. Be kind of a shame if we don't get Egghead.

Why? Its not like its the worst thing he's ever done.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The funny thing about that Sergio Aragones picture is that he looks like a Sergio Aragones character.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

The Green Lantern movie should have just been Sinestro mocking Hal, as Hal fucks everything up and Sinestro has to fix it.

The Green Lantern movie really should have just kept Hal on Earth for the entire time just dealing with the Hector Hammond stuff. Then, at the very end have him go to Oa as the stinger/sequel hook. As is the Oa stuff just feels completely disconnected to everything else in the movie, its just a digression about the adventures of Ryan Reynolds disembodied head.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sundowner posted:

Any recommendations for any good post-apocalyptic or rebuilt society type stories? I've been writing my own thing lately but I'm kind of running flat on inspiration and now I'm just in the mood to read some good post-apocalypse stories that really sell the setting and the different kinds of people or factions that form.

Read the first book of Cholly and Flytrap and I really liked that so I'm definitely going to pick up more of that.

East of West is a pretty out there apocalyptic story.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

For those who haven't been reading it (and why not?) East of West is alternate history that segues into a story about the end of the world. Basically everything is the same up until the Civil War where the Lakota unite the Native tribes and add another front to the war. This keeps the war going for another 20 years when a comet hits the western US. This ends the war and marks the creation of the Seven Nations.

The book mostly follows the horseman Death as he wages a bloody revenge against The Chosen, leaders of the Seven Nations who all follow The Message and the other three horsemen who are trying to bring about the end times.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Those ears are kind of ridiculous.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think that in my entire life I've read like one issue of Spawn.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm pretty sure the Superman stuff was on purpose and not just because he was too powerful. It was supposed to be because of the events of his series finale he was still kind of messed up emotionally and not fighting at his best. At least, that was what I remember being the explanation at the time.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, From Hell the movie is basically only has anything to do with the comic in that it has like one line from the comic and the identity of the Ripper (which is not something Moore came up with on his own.)

The book is less about Jack the Ripper and more about how there's a secret shape to history that you can only see by taking a long enough step back.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I was reading old issues of Rom: The Spaceknight and in the issue where Galactus is attacking Galador for some reason Rom calls Galactus a rapist.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sundowner posted:

I haven't read any manga yet but I know how it's read, and maybe I'm thinking about this the wrong way but are you guys talking about literally just flipping the pages like a mirror image or do you mean rearranging all of the panels to read like a western comic? Even that seems to me like it might gently caress with things. Can someone give me an example of this and how it doesn't inherently screw with the intended viewing "pattern" for the art, or however you want to call it.

Its been done both ways.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Madkal posted:

"I may not remember why I created She-Hulk but I can definitely say that I did not create her to be a slut for Hulk to gently caress with so some pervy kids could jack off to her in their mom's basement when they couldn't find their dad's playboy stash"- Stan Lee

Reminds me of this quote from Dave Cockram about the development of Ms Marvel's black one piece costume

quote:

Finally I did the one with the lightning bolt and sash, and I took it to Stan who said, ‘That’s what you should have done from the start! That’s what I like: Shiny leather and tits & rear end!”

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wasn't Iron Man in the 90s just gimmick after gimmick?

Waterhaul posted:

Oh Stan Lee of course that was the reason. Of course it wasn't because Marvel just ended up creating characters like Spider-Woman and She Hulk to prevent DC or any other company from having a character with a similar name to a popular established character :allears:

I thought She Hulk was to create the character before the TV show did.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zoux posted:

Hmm what did Iron Man look like in the '90's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9g2f8f-ct4
:stonk:

The gently caress is going on with that Mandarin?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zoux posted:

It's every bit as childish and superficial as you might think.

Nooooooooo!!!!!

He grows up into this guy:

No, that's cyborg Sean Hannity. The other character, Reagan McGee was born on 9/11.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rhyno posted:

The Powers show that is never happening?

Coming out this December on the Playstation Network. So only on PS3/PS4. Although they said if you have PS+ you get the series for free.

Didn't announce any cast or anything like that though.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It was kind of hard to tell from the stage show since all they showed was art from the comic and some concept art.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IIRC the F4 almost wore masks in their first appearance and there is art showing them that way but they decided against it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Chip Zdarsky continues to be pretty funny.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Goatmask posted:

Matt Fraction and Chip Zdarsky sure do seem to be enjoying themselves with Sex Criminals.

Chip Zdarsky continues to be a weird guy. Does he do any actual writing because he's pretty funny.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Senor Candle posted:

Is this for real this time? I guess so. NA Annual was great.

It was pretty insane.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This gif isn't as fun as the original one made from that lovely cam copy.

My 2 cents in regards to Ennis is that I enjoyed Preacher when I originally read it but as I read more of his stuff I came to realize that he's a one trick pony and a lot of his work is kind of same-y.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I just finished reading Mike Carey's new novel the other day. Oddly enough I didn't actually realize it was written by him until I was reading a bit of news about the book afterwards, mostly because he writes under the pseudo-pseudonym "M.R. Carey." The novel, The Girl With All the Gifts, takes place 20 years after a cordycep pandemic has changed most of the world into violent flesh eating zombies called "Hungries." The setting might not be the most original but he does some interesting things with it, especially the titular main character's trek across a ruined England.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Its kind of weird that he hides his name like that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

redbackground posted:

I meant specifically the cordycep stuff. I was just asking if the zombies/beasts were similarly portrayed or different in key ways since they both use that angle. Simply jonesing for more info, geez.

They aren't actually anything like the Last of Us zombies. When there isn't any "prey" around they almost always just stand still waiting for some kind of stimulus. Also a big difference is that (semi spoiler)after the 20 years the zombies start to spore, "dying" and turning into giant stationary mushroom creatures.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Chinaman7000 posted:

I don't remember bitching until the end reveal. It got me back into comics cause it was gritty and realistic!

Well, there was also the pants on its head stupid Deathstroke fight.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

SALT CURES HAM posted:

So I played through both of the games based on The Darkness lately. Both games are loving fantastic, even if they're... not really much alike aside from both being shootmans games. I decided to check out the comic to see if it was as good.

It starts out promising, but basically as soon as Garth Ennis leaves it goes straight to poo poo. :smith: I've heard rumblings that it gets a lot better after the games came out and it basically retconned all the dumb 90s bullshit to line up more with them, but I don't know if I honestly care enough to read that far.

Hopefully you read The Darkness/Batman because for some reason a major plot point happens in it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think the original design is kind of plain.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aren't toy sales and such in a pretty bad slump?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think the cover is mostly okay except for that butt.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Skwirl posted:

What's this from?

An insane webcomic called Dreaming of Utopia. Mostly known because it casts Furries as a persecuted race/religion. The guy doesn't like Something Awful because we made fun of him.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I like Fraction and I liked his Iron Man run, except for the part of the story where he absolves Tony of his actions in Civil War by erasing his brain and his backup just happened to be from before it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speaking of ROM, I just read issue 49 earlier today and that was pretty hosed up. Literally every single member of the supporting cast is killed off and replaced by Dire Wraiths.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Watching The Incredibles years later and there's kind of an Ayn Rand-esque subtext of "normal" people holding their betters back.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Apparently I need to read some New Frontier. Was that a single comic or a line of comics, I think I'm confusing it with New Universal.

New Frontier was a miniseries by Darwyn Cooke. Basically it retells the change over from Golden Age to Silver Age for DC characters. Hal Jordan is a major character but interestingly enough, he doesn't become Green Lantern until almost the very end of the story.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Sep 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zoux posted:

So do you like Secret Wars?

An interesting thing about Secret Wars is that the Rom comic used the idea that most of the heroes and villains were off planet for it's "Total War" arc.

• Locked thread