Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Waterhaul posted:

Honesty those are the best kind of Kickstarters, especially when you know you're going to get a good product regardless.

Also in case people are wondering I am closing off a lot of old threads which are long overdue a reboot. The usual mantra of anybody can post a thread if they want applies.

Working on the Deadpool one right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I admittedly don't follow Japanese wrestling, but this Prince Devitt guy has become one of my favorite wrestlers ever.

Badass.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

WickedHate posted:

The Venom is :krad: but the others just look a little dorky. The Carnage would look a lot better if it didn't have the bumps.

Would he look better if he showed up in a coffin?

Timeless Appeal posted:

Spawn's design is so wonderfully silly. It just Spider-Man and Batman mixed together and then made totally extreme. It's something a twelve year old would come up with and that's the appeal.

Back in the 90's, Cracked had this great poster that showed how Spawn put his costume together: by mugging other superheroes. He stole Spider-Man's mask, Venom's symbiote, Dr. Strange's cape, Ghost Rider's chains, etc.

Lurdiak posted:

As far as I can tell, Nightwatch wasn't some sort of poke at Spawn, but rather a sincere ripoff. I base this on the fact that the creator of the character was obviously in love with him and jammed him awkwardly into Maximum Carnage to raise his exposure.

There was most definitely a level of self-awareness in there. The Beavis and Butt-head Marvel comic had segments where they'd read pages from comics put together by actual Marvel writers/artists and one such segment had them reading a Nightwatch/Prowler crossover. Beavis was all, "Whoa, check it out! It's that Spoon guy!"

Mister Roboto posted:

Could Spawn beat Goku?

He could certainly beat Kratos, at least.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Superheroes named Grayson just can't catch a break on that front.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Jack Knight Starman and Deadpool too.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

I've seen the Venom symbiote no-sell fire a lot recently and it's starting to get on my nerves. That is all.

One of those was fighting Colossus in Utopia, wasn't it? That really annoyed me.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Hakkesshu posted:

I really loved that portrayal in Ellis' Thunderbolts. Making Venom seem frightening without just turning him into Carnage is super hard, but I feel like Ellis pulled it off in that run. Did anyone ever do something similar with Eddie Brock?

I'd say Len Kaminski's Venom: the Hunger is the closest you'll find. The symbiote feeds on a certain chemical in the host's brain and it's tapped Eddie dry, so it starts to affect the way he sees the world so that everyone's demonic while all the food he eats tastes horrible. After he picks a fight with a biker because he's "probably a criminal", the symbiote forces Eddie to eat the guy's brain. Eddie freaks out halfway through and the symbiote runs off to continue on its own. Because of their connection, Eddie (locked in an asylum) can constantly see it hunting down people and killing them.

Then Eddie gets loose and decides to hunt the symbiote down via prep-time. Problem is, they can each see things through each other's eyes, so there's no element of surprise.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

RevKrule posted:

Just as an FYI, all Marvel's film contracts have a clause in them that if there isn't a movie in development for at least X years from either a) the last released movie or b) the signing of the contract, the rights roll back to Marvel. This is one of the reasons you had a revitalization of non-Disney comic book movies recently and partially why Spider-man was rebooted (and Fantastic Four is being rebooted). Almost the day after Marvel was purchased by Disney, the studios put these movies in development to keep the licenses.

Disney did offer to let Fox (?) keep the Daredevil license if they were willing to give up the rights to Galactus, Surfer and I think the Skrulls but obviously that didn't happen.

It's also the reason we got the first and best Fantastic Four movie back in the 90's.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

notthegoatseguy posted:

Is it even possible to see that movie? I know the cast made media/con appearances but it was never actually released.

Also, is there a list of BSS Twitters somewhere? I'm only following a handful. Do doogs or burtle have one?

The movie's up on YouTube twice, so you can check it out there. Official release? Not so much, though they are releasing a documentary on it soon.

d00gZ is @DavidUzumeri

Don't know about burtle, but everyone should be following @Gavin4L. That guy is the cat's pajamas.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Hey guys comixology's doing a sale on Invinciblhahahaha no but really though, don't buy that lovely comic.

On a serious note, is Superior Carnage any good? Bearing in mind that I'm almost a Gavok-level fanboy for '90s symbiote poo poo.

It's not bad. The first four issues are awesome, but the last issue is a huge letdown in a lot of ways.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Rhyno posted:

It was a Doombot with an optical lubricant leak.

I'm going with cosplaying Deadpool myself.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Rhyno posted:

How's it feel to be pure evil?

Then I guess I rule Apokalips.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

redbackground posted:

It also ruined the end of Morrison's bat-epic. :rant:

The end of Morrison's Batman run is probably the best microcosm of everything wrong with the New 52.

Morrison started writing Batman in the mid-00's after years upon years of Batman being insufferable and overly dark. Every comic was dedicated to making GBS threads on Batman and Batman in return making GBS threads on everyone else. Even DC realized that Batman was "broken" and after Infinite Crisis, they would fix him. Morrison started writing a take on him that was about building trust and optimism while doing away with the negative aspects of the character. When Bruce seemingly died, Dick Grayson and Damian Wayne became the new Batman and Robin, declaring a triumphant, "BATMAN AND ROBIN WILL NEVER DIE!" Even when Bruce came back and started up Batman Inc, he let Dick remain the Batman of Gotham.

Then the reboot happened. At first glance, the Batman continuity was untouched. But not really. Morrison played a lot with Batman's existence, deciding that every single Batman story "happened" in Batman's ten+ years of fighting crime. Everything from the goofball stories where Joker had a clown helicopter to the gritty 90's crap. It all happened. Then it was condensed into five years and it didn't really work. More importantly, key characters vanished from the story because "they didn't exist anymore." The last two Batgirls could not be mentioned at all, even though they were supporting characters. They just stopped showing up with no explanation. Dick Grayson stopped being Batman because reboot. Even the Outsiders, a team who had a book right before New 52 and were part of Batman's plot, were only allowed to be shown as long as they never said their names.

New 52 also made the other Batman books all gross and dark, like the whole thing with Joker cutting his face off and then taping it back on for reasons and then driving a wedge through the Batfamily shortly before Damian's death. Things were starting to get as bad as when Morrison was brought in. Morrison ended his Batman run with an issue where a couple characters told off Batman for being a lovely hero who will never change and never make a difference. He'll just be hanging out in Gotham forever, fighting the same bad guys while innocent people die around him. "BATMAN AND ROBIN WILL NEVER DIE!" suddenly goes from a proud battle cry to Morrison's depressed resignation.

Anyway, the more I think about it, the more I feel that Marvel NOW is the ultimate bitchslap to DC's New 52. No matter the complaints, the thing about the New 52 was that it felt necessary at the time. DC was in dire straits, not just in terms of sales, but content. Superman was a laughing stock, Wonder Woman was lame, Justice League was groan-worthy, every single thing related to Green Arrow and the Teen Titans was toxic, etc. On paper, the reboot sounded like the best idea.

Then Marvel NOW showed how unnecessary it was. New 52 brought us a lot of good books, yes, but was the reboot part of it truly needed? Animal Man, Wonder Woman, Swamp Thing, etc. didn't need it. The only good books that needed the reboot to exist were Action Comics and maybe Flash (and that could have been just fine with a little rewriting). A series of relaunches was a great idea, but wiping a fuzzy half of the slate clean only caused more problems.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Senor Candle posted:

Gavok's posts are basically the raving of a lunatic.

That's the sweetest compliment. Thank you.

irlZaphod posted:

Yeah, this. I'm pretty sure Gavok loves Avengers/New Avengers too.

Absolutely. Hickman's Marvel stuff is mostly phenomenal across the board. Especially that story he wrote about Shang Chi and Deadpool taking part in Wacky Races from a few years ago.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Sarchasm posted:

I've read his Deadpool comics, he deserved it.

Isn't that cute?

BUT IT'S WRONG!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

But he spelled his name correc-- oh, wait.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Waterhaul posted:

Awww cheer up little buddy, you'll grow up to be Nightwing some day.

But not Batman. He sits down too much.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Madkal posted:

I was watching Road to Perdition the other day and I knew that it was based on comic. I have never read the comic but it got me wondering how good the comics that movies are based actually are. I am talking about comics like Road to Perdition, Ghost World, History of Violence, Men in Black, the Mask etc. Basically any movie based on a comic that isn't done by the big 2.

I highly suggest the Mask comics. Not only do they hold up, but they also work as a fascinating companion piece to how the movie and even cartoon series turned out. Like imagine the movie with a hard R rating due to violence because hitting someone with a mallet would cause horrible, bloody damage to your average human being. Instead of glorifying the Mask's powers as being this awesome thing, it's really shown as being a terrible, life-destroying vice. Sure, you're invincible when you wear it, but it makes you overly impulsive with no concept of repercussions. You'll pay for it the next day like the world's worst hangover and within a week, your life will be in shambles. Rick Remender's Venom run borrows a lot from it.

It's also interesting because the hero of the movie/cartoon is a complete scumbag in the comic who doesn't last especially long in the initial story. Meanwhile, the closest thing the comics have to a heroic protagonist is a comic relief side-antagonist in the movie/cartoon.

The crossovers with Batman and Lobo are also pretty fun. Pretty sure the Batman one is the last story in Mask continuity and that was about 15 years ago.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Rhyno posted:

Yo, I need a list of pretty easy Marvel film trivia questions. My employee who was supposed to do trivia (and was bringing her own materials) has bailed on us for FCBD. The Google results are all behind the scenes stuff, I just need a quick list of easy questions. Anything already compiled that I can just swipe to use tomorrow?

How was Harry Osborn's pie?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Literally The Worst posted:

I was explaining Cap being mindwiped in Hickman's New Avengers today at work and I had a bunch of people whose response was "Huh. Sounds like Identity Crisis" and I had to explain that no this wasn't a handwave etc etc

About the third or fourth time I slipped and went "The difference is, this is good."

The difference is that instead of becoming a paranoid, passive-aggressive rear end in a top hat, Captain America cut through the bullshit and punched Tony Stark right in his stupid loving face.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

bairfanx posted:

That gif is so good.

It's actually doog os.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I didn't really understand the manga argument anyway. I mean, reading right-to-left? That's not nearly as bad as it was dealing with Russian comic books back in the 80's.

In Soviet Russia, comics read you.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

My favorite story about that is how Shaq claimed to have grown up reading Steel comics when hyping the movie. You know, the guy whose movie came out about two years after being introduced.

Even though it's not comics, the best "legitimately psyched to play a role" situation is Christopher Lambert as Raiden in Mortal Kombat. That dude was so jazzed about it and you can tell he had fun playing the character.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Literally The Worst posted:

gently caress you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxzX3tyHHMg

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Sanschel posted:

Noting beats Reed beating Magneto with a wooden gun.

Magneto going to the gas station for directions is pretty high up there at least.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Apparently, considering he left without getting the directions and found the place just fine.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Senor Candle posted:

Just fill up FF with characters nobody else can use.

The Even Newer Fantastic Four! With Conan the Barbarian! Rom: Spaceknight! NFL Superpro! Charcoal from Thunderbolts!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

zoux posted:

Isn't there a gender swapping character now? Besides Apex I guess.

I remember they brought in a really obscure one in the early Joe Kelly days of Deadpool. I can't even tell you what his/her name is and I'm the goddamn Deadpool expert.

Invincible has Monster Girl who actually impregnated a woman in her Hulk form.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Koalas March posted:

Holy poo poo. You told a sexual assault victim to blow you.

Ennis is a shitbag and terrible writer but you have him beat.

And you're a terrible reader.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

zoux posted:

Every person, man, woman or Hulk that Dillon draws has the same ugly rear end sneer face. Dillion draws the ugliest people ever, and I'm saying this in a world where Frank Quitely exists.

I raise you Howard Chaykin.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Skwirl posted:

Truth be told, for a place with 50 states, it's a shocking minority of them that are worth a drat in the USA.

Lady Hawkeye knows what's up.

(Preemptive "gently caress y'all!" for the aftermath of this post)

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Timeless Appeal posted:

At the same time, it's illegal to pump your own gas, and what the gently caress is that?

I always met that criticism with a shrug because, gently caress, I don't want to pump my own gas.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Rhyno posted:

Wasn't it Australian?

Haha! An Australian Wolverine. Imagine such a thing. That idea wouldn't be worth jack, man.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Yeah, the storyline started up as really, really dark. It's the plot of the last two-parter from the Superman cartoon, only without Superman remembering who he is while also getting totally sweet zigzag heat vision. It's all dire, yet interesting, but once the heroes start to fight back, there's a great contrast because outside of Batman (Thomas Wayne, though with a far better backstory than Flashpoint), the heroes are just more optimistic and bright than what we're used to in New 52.

That and Val-Zod is a likeable character and was established as such before meekly removing his sweatshirt to reveal he's been wearing the House of El emblem on his chest all this time. Someone should post the page where Jimmy Olsen bitches out Batman for being an rear end in a top hat about Val being a pacifist because it's awesome.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Random Stranger posted:

Which is what makes him so entertaining to read. "You get turned to glass and then knocked over. You melt into a pile of goo. You get eaten by a giant duck."

Add exclamation points and you get Oprah as the Spectre.

CzarChasm posted:

Didn't he kill and resurrect some gang banger like 6 times in a row before God came done and told him to knock that poo poo off?

Yeah. A loved one got murdered and he decided to take it out on the next guy he punished by killing him and resurrecting him over and over while yelling, "NOT ENOUGH!" Then some demons were like, "Haha, okay, bro! Fun is fun, but he's ours now." He was going to invade Hell just to get the soul back and punish him some more, but a giant sword from Heaven blocked his way.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Skwirl posted:

What was the answer?

There are gays in Heaven because even if you consider homosexuality a sin (which the comic did a good job of not actually answering), there are still plenty of people who have sinned in Heaven.

Dacap posted:

He has the mask too

WASSSSS A MANNNNN!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

If I was BSS mod, I would constantly be scowling and I would always be wearing a helmet that covers most of my face. You would never, ever see pictures of me without the helmet on unless I'm being portrayed by a mumbling Italian.

Soonmot posted:

And that is why it will be a year of gym time before I do cosplay.

This is actually me right now. Sort of. Several months ago, I got a great idea for NYCC cosplay and I decided to get in good shape for it. Then I got really busy with stuff, so now I'm trying to make up for lost time. It's a costume of someone who is fat regardless, but considering I'm going to be bare-chested in public, I'd rather reduce my gut as much as possible.

Gatts posted:

This is actually Wrestlehut. BSS is cool.

I miss vinceflex.jpg :(

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Rhyno posted:

You can do it man. I'm down 25lbs just from changing my diet.

Congrats! I've been doing DDP Yoga daily, which has been a great help and I can't recommend it enough.

goldenoreos posted:

I would be interested in seeing what BSS would be like if D_T was in charge of it for at least a week.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Hollismason posted:

Well Injustice still continues to be the only DC comic I read right now, someone needs to make that drat thread.

I love Injustice its so good, video game is garbage but the book is good.

I thought the What If/Elseworlds thread was the designated Injustice discussion area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

sleepingbuddha posted:

And I thought four Batman tattoos was bad.

I have two Superman tattoos myself (Bizarro logo on my left shoulder and later Superman logo on the right just to balance it out). I meant to get more, but people keep saying that getting a hammer and sickle permanently sketched onto my skin is a bad, bad idea and if I can't get that one, then what's the point of continuing?

• Locked thread