Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

New Year. New Chat Thread. New Posts.

This was the OP of last years thread.

quote:

Last year was the year of Brandon Graham. I think building of off Hawkeye 2013 will be the year of Matt Fraction. Also everybody will realize they should have been buying Glory all along. Pretty Deadly will end up being book of the year.

And I stand by it :colbert:

Things to look forward to in 2014?

Southern Bastards, MiracleMan, seeing Marvel print THE ORIGINAL WRITER, more great Image books, BATMANBATMANBATMAN, A Talking Raccoon!?!,Stray Bullets, Nonplayer!? Orc Stain?? Some more good Kickstarters??? Post some thing's you are looking forward to this year.

Also The Comics Reporter are running a series of all the good things that happened in 2013.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

2014 will be the Second Year of Hawkguy.

2014 is going to be the year Hawkguy gets revamped because either Fraction or Aja won't be able to keep schedule with the workload :getin:

Swillkitsch posted:

I'm thinking of making the Wonder Woman thread since WW fans (ARE YOU EVEN HERE) have the Azzarello run, Superman/Wonder Woman, and Gal Gadot's casting to discuss re: current WW news. Standard discussion thread with reference poo poo from classic past runs for haters or people who can be converted. I actually can't tell if this is just my annual single day of enthusiasm for doing anything in the universe, though.

Yeah sure make a Wonder Woman thread but please don't start arguments over how much body mass Gadot needs to tack on.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Alien Rope Burn posted:

One of the good things is "more comic book professionals will have health insurance finally". :(

One of the other points is people finally starting to talk about the issue of sexual harassment in comics so at least there were a lot of baby steps done last year.

Literally The Worst posted:

Do we have any kind of a release date for Southern Bastards yet?

Not yet but Image Con is next week so I'd presume more details will come out then.

Also with talk of books that'll eventually come out.

Waterhaul fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jan 2, 2014

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

And the wait for Angela's new origin to come from a Galaxy Far Far Away begins :getin:

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Dr. Hurt posted:

This really is the critical moment for Dark Horse, especially since Hellboy/BPRD won't be there forever.

The also don't have their fall back of "Whedon shows" anymore since Marvel took that.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Crowetron posted:

I feel like I've seen arguments about that phrase before, but I know jack poo poo about Black Widow, so I don't know what the controversy is. What's up with the ledger thing?

Natasha has this dumb speech in the Avengers film where she's heroing because she's trying to make up for past mistakes and has killed a lot and has a lot of "red in the ledger". Because of this pretty much any story since the film that has used her as a proper character has had her break down a bit because REDINTHELEDGER as if it's all the character is about. Or that for some reason Natasha has only recently been unable to handle the fact that she's been a spy for the last 30+ years.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

bobkatt013 posted:

She did just have her mind seriously hosed with and she killed a good friend.

Yeah but that always happens to her and it's more the phrase REDINTHELEDGER constantly appearing.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

The Red in the Ledger stuff isn't the kind of editorial mandated thing. There are a lot of Marvel creators who think that the Avengers film is the best characterisation of the character and want to fit more of it into the comics.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Soonmot posted:

Nope, that single issue hit a different annoying teen hero trope on every page. It's fair to say that I'm still annoyed that Dick Ryder is in limbo with this new kid flying about and the Nova Corps no where to be found, but I gave it an honest shot based on the FP thread and goon acclaim.

It's probably not as bad as the Loeb issues (I didn't even give those a shot), but it is still not good.

The Loeb issues were actually really good too and a fun kid in space story without the usual over reliance on "shocking" reveals.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Lurdiak posted:

Reminder that this, of all things, is something Slott chose to revisit as the focus of his Spider-Island event.

Spider Island had a lot of dumb poo poo but I can't totally hate it for removing all the Other and chosen spider nonsense from Peter and transferring it over to Kaine.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

irlZaphod posted:

Did he seriously? Honestly, one thing which started putting me off Slott was when he became the Marvel Continuity Cop. The organic shooters were literally never mentioned, and while I enjoyed the JMS Spider-Totem stuff, it also could have gone entirely unmentioned by other writers.

It was part continuity cop and part bringing Kaine to a point where he could spin off to his own series. It boiled down to the Other being a prophecy/magic/whatever that totem stuff was of Peter Parker accepting to be a more violent, spider being that would kill when needs be. Peter would never be that but Kaine would.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

One more step to Fraction or Aja coming off the book :getin:

Also first proper comic book day of the year and not only that but it's also the day of a new volume of Prison Pit

Johnny Ryan but out a very typically Johhny Ryan preview video where he just flicks through the entire book if you want to see what happens in it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVOK38gat68

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

I never said I wanted it to happen but it's obviously the way it's going to happen with Marvel's shipping schedule.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Image Expo is today so i'd say Phonogram has gotta get a date out.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

If you're keeping up with the Image Expo you can see Image basically murder the competition in real time.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

RevKrule posted:

Bitch Planet is a day one purchase almost on name alone, the concept and creative is just icing on the cake.

And it's not even the tip of what was announced.

New Gillen/McKelvie book.
Morrison/Burnham
Fraction bringing Casanova back to Image.
SNYDER/JOCK
Graham/Rios and a murder row of artists.
BITCH.PLANET.
Remender/Tocchini
More Brubaker and Phillips.

And a poo poo load more

This is a gonna be a good year for comics.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Vertigo has neither Karen Berger or Marc Doyle. It's beyond dead.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Well yeah but that's not hard. I guess it could be worse, Vertigo could be Icon.

Also it's crazy to note that on top of all of that Image stuff is the likes of the return of Stray Bullets, end of Prophet and all the good books they're still publishing.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Madkal posted:

Vertigo is going through a mini-resurgance with Trillium, Unwritten coming back this year, Hinterland getting some good reviews etc. However, If Carey and Lemire jumped ship then poo poo might be hitting the fan.

Trillium and Unwritten are coming to an end and Lemire has already announced that his next book won't be with Vertigo.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Literally The Worst posted:

Prophet's "ending" in that Prophet Earth War is taking its place. It's still Prophet.

Ultra Pros.

Prophet Earth War is just a mini to wrap up everything. The book's still ending.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Yeah I was thinking the same. There's definitely warrant to an Image thread, especially with the number of books announced that seem exactly the kind of books BSS reads. Plus there's that Image documentary to come out shortly.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Yeah a little bit of discussion came out after the Expo yesterday but it's hilarious how Image is once again the place where big names just take their off brand DC/Marvel/Vertigo products and just do the same thing.

I wish Kitson went off to do something else cos he's much better than Willingham.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

I really do hope that it's his last interview and people just stop asking him dumb poo poo.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

d00gZ posted:

The thing is, this time nobody asked him about Morrison or anything. O Mealoid asked him basically "why all the rape?" and Moore went "WELL LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT GRANT MORRISON"

Oh yeah I know but I always expect an :argh: Morrison rant from Moore. It's how you know it's a real Moore interview.

Mr. Glum posted:

Have they stated why? I'm just curious if this has to do with Icon itself, or because he's doing less Marvel work, or...what?

I think it's just that Image seems to offer a better deal with exposure. I don't think any of the people who've made the jump from Icon or Vertigo have bad mouthed the deal they had, just that at the moment Image is a better prospect.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Dan Didio posted:

What are Icon and Vertigo's licensing rights situations like? I imagine it's all creator-owned? I know Image assures the creators they distribute for that they're free to license and option their series as they see fit.

I know for Icon the basic deal is that the creator gets all the rights but are on their own when it comes to promoting. Like Brubaker has had no problem shopping Criminal around and neither did Millar through developing Kick rear end or deciding to publish it through his own Clint Magazine.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Halloween Jack posted:

You know, the really disappointing thing about Neonomicon is not the rape, it's that a distinguished author who should have known better wrote a Lovecraftian mythos story that's guilty of almost cliche endemic to the genre. I read a lot of Lovecraft mythos anthologies, and when I read Neonomicon it was as if Moore was marking off a bingo card representing the kinds of story I'm sick of reading.

Well from a few interviews I've read that was Moore's point with Neonomicon. He was hired to do Lovecraft stories so he pretty much shoved every Lovecraft cliche and plot point into the one book.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Well it's a bit better than having the stories include constant racist tirades of people with non white savage blood.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Hakkesshu posted:

Maybe it's from something I haven't read, but I don't remember any rape in Lovecraft's stories, unless you're talking about allegorical rape. Racism, sure, but not any kind of sexual assault. I always felt like Lovecraft (deliberately) shied away from that sort of thing in favour of the existential.

It's there but it gets brushed off a lot. Like you have cases of The Dunwich Horror where a daughter is married off/forced to give birth to demon spawn things and The Shadow over Innsmouth where a town is taken over by a cult and those that aren't killed are forced to join the cult and "marry" fish creatures to create hybrids.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Squidster posted:

Oh god, Gotham is Smallville. http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/01/13/batman-prequel-series-gotham/

Why couldn't it have been Gotham Central? CSI procedurals have always made a buttload of money.

There was a lot of talk about it in the Comics TV thread but a show would have to try ridiculously hard to be as bad as Smallville.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Madkal posted:

Here's a strange question. Which comicbook character has been shat upon by the universe most (figuratively speaking). There was talk in the worst runs thread about Skin who died rather acrimoniously, had his name misspelled on his tombstone and had Jubilee proclaim that she wanted to sleep with him while he was still alive. I found this all funny in an absurd way, but it also got me thinking who has the worst life in comicbooks. One filled with suffering and failure with very few bright spots.

As far as Marvel is concerned Daredevil has had a string of everyone him knowing getting murdered or driven insane. Ignoring the Norman O Face retcon Gwen Stacy's life and family are forever poo poo upon by knowing Spider-Man, you can include Madelyne Pryor pre-clone retcon too in that section.

It was brought up a short while back in one of the general threads but Michael Pointer/Omega/The Collective has had a pretty terrible existence. Becomes a mutant, absorbs the Collective and murders thousands against his will and is eventually put into an induced coma by the X-Men for pity.

Waterhaul fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 14, 2014

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Yeah even with using Marvel Unlimited I wouldn't recommend reading Shadowland. Such an awful book.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Well it was less the dullness and more let's try and drastically change the status quo with the main character being possessed while simultaneously trying to drag Elektra: Assassin down with it.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

TwoPair posted:

They'd probably react in a much bigger way, because even though Joker suffers the same sort of issues Bullseye and many other supervillains do, (i.e. insane body count, should be dead, inexplicably aren't due to hero's no-kill code and apparent total lack of death penalty in Big Two universes), Joker has one big thing working in his favor: murder's not his only thing. I know it's like the only thing he does nowadays, but that's just due to poor writers who can't figure out how to write a good story where Batman chortles at the Joker's boner crimes without a triple-digit body count. Bullseye, by comparison, is just a murderer. He works as an assassin, whether for Kingpin or Norman Osborn or for his own shits and giggles, and he murders people by the dozen with a poo poo-eating grin on his face. And he's not even crazy, either.

Wait how the hell is Bullseye not crazy? Also it's not really fair to say that Joker is all boner crimes since he's existed from the Golden Age when every bad guy did stuff like that.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

fatherboxx posted:

A goddamn murderers row of coolest dudes in business.

And Joe Casey.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

redbackground posted:

I've heard of two of them! :v:

One of them better be at least Farel Dalrymple!

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

redbackground posted:

That's not even a real name.

No, Casey and Mahfood.

You need to get some Dalrymple in your life, or at least his issues of Prophet.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

There has been no point in time when Chuck Austen has been good.

I mean given the frequency of books that comes out that there has to be over 1000 better X books than his.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

April 30th. 2014 is going to be such a drat good year for Image.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

d00gZ posted:

I'm buying like 2-3 times more Image than DC these days, it's amazing.

Depending on how the next wave of Marvel Now books I may end up reading more Image than Marvel which is something I didn't think I'd ever say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Madkal posted:

My DC intake has declined due to cancellations. My Marvel intake is about to decline due to runs ending too (looking at you Daredevil). My image intake has increased though thanks to comixology.

DD isn't getting cancelled really. It's just going digital only for a month before getting a new number one because marketing reasons.

Teenage Fansub posted:

I think Constantine and Pandora are the only legit bad comics which I'll probably drop after the Dark crossover.
Forever Evil is bad on it's own but I'm enjoying JL side stories, so it's really just for keeping up. JLA is bland, but Lemire's about to take it, so it wouldn't stay dropped.
I think everything else is very decent. SORRY!!
e: Oh yeah. 'Green Lantern' is really dull, but I enjoy the new status quo from Jordan and Soule's book, so that's sort of just tagging along too.

SORRY!!

Even in the face of whining posters. Never compromise.

• Locked thread