Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Zachack posted:

Since the topic is UK writers, I just finished Moore's run on Supreme and who was Billy Friday supposed to be? Millar? Ennis? A pastiche of writers that symbolize that era? A couple times it felt like something very specific was being referenced but without having read every comic ever I wouldn't be able to place it.

Also I'll never get over how Liefeld was the starting point for stuff like Supreme or the current runs of Prophet and Glory.

Billy Friday was supposed to be a cross between Jimmy Olsen (on the surface) and Grant Morrison, with all of his pretentious ideas and what Moore sees as sneering contempt for his readers and characters alike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Literally The Worst posted:

But it's got Joe Casey on it, and every Joe Casey book reeks of "hey man isn't this poo poo deep" and wasted potential.

Casey's Wildcats run was one of my all-time favorite runs on any comic.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I'm going to be traveling a little this year. Can anyone recommend good comic shops in Columbus, Ohio and Knoxville, Tennessee? For me, "good" includes large selections of back issues, TPBs (especially discounted ones), and loose action figures, but beggars can't be choosers.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah, I'd have to reread it to really pass judgement, but that and Ultimates really turned the Avengers into something other than continuity flogging with b-listers.

With the exception of Roger Stern's badass "Under Siege" storyline from the mid-'80s, I never gave a poo poo about the Avengers until Bendis' New Avengers. Most of that first series was fun as hell, with lots of street-level superheroics, comic relief, and the team being outmatched, outgunned, and on the run half the time.

Honestly, it reminded me of JLI in all the best ways, and that's why I'll always argue that it was worthwhile (even during the unpopular Secret Invasion and Siege). But after Siege, when Bendis started writing Avengers and New Avengers Vol. 2, it was never the same again.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

redbackground posted:

Hey, I'm in Knoxville--you have 2 options: Comics Exchange on Chapman Highway (lotsa back issues, large selection of trades, and packaged figures, and the workers are nice) and McKay Books on Papermill, a beloved gigantic used book/movie/music warehouse that has a whole wall of discounted trades and cheap cheap cheap back issues, but it depends of course on what people have brought in to get rid of. When are you going to be in the area?

Hey! I should be there for a work conference the first weekend in April. E-mail me at saxman2 at hotmail!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Senor Candle posted:

I don't know where you are traveling from but if you are coming anywhere near Fort Wayne, IN you should stop by. We have DCBS which has just about every trade that's in print discounted at ~35%, Rhyno's store Clemm's Collectibles, and Books Comics & Things which has a pretty decent back catalog.

As much as I totally would, I'll be flying to both places from Florida on separate trips. Thank you very much, though!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Never mind, nothing to see here!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 2, 2014

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Sometimes I forget I can look for things I want on eBay. In the last two weeks, I've bought two comics that have eluded me for years. I've never seen either of them in person, so when they showed up, it was cool that both were odd shapes and sizes compared to standard comics.

Vertical (a 2003 Vertigo one-shot) turned out to be a forgettable '60s period romance written by Steven Seagle, but Mike Allred's art with Laura's coloring is beautiful, as always. You can see it's half the width of a regular comic. The staples at the top, so it was meant to be read the extra-long way, from top to bottom.

Back in the mid-'80s, Marvel published magazine-sized Super Specials that were often adaptations of current films and other non-Marvel pop culture properties. This is Marvel Super Special #33, adapting the Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension, a flawed movie that I love in spite of everything. It just arrived today, so I haven't read it yet. I've always heard the old novelization of the movie goes into all kinds of crazy detail beyond what made it into the final cut, so I'm hoping this does too.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Mar 4, 2014

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Senor Candle posted:

Probably the only colorists I can name off the top of my head, Jordie Bellaire, Matt Hollingsworth, Javier Rodriguez, and Laura Allred. They are all fantastic though.

Add on Laura Martin, who is also one of the best colorists in the industry.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Skwirl posted:

I meant people in general, not you specifically. I agree a period neo-noir (noir has a very loose definition, but almost always refers to movies filmed pre-60s, anything filmed after drawing on that ouvre is neo-noir) golden age Sandman film is a great idea, but no one would watch it, or Warner Brothers would destroy it in the process of making it, and still no one would watch it.

I've always wanted a Sandman Mystery Theatre movie or series, either that or a Vic Sage Question series based mostly on his Justice League Unlimited "creepy conspiracy theorist detective" portrayal, but something that could tie into his background as a crusading journalist as well. I'm a sucker for pulp heroes who fight the good fight in suits and trench coats and fedoras, and Sandman with his World War I-style gas mask or Question with his faceless mask would both have very dramatic looks (and hooks).

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Morrison and Frank Miller wrote a few too. And to be fair, McFarlane's art with that early computer coloring was really pretty for the time. The book looked better than almost anything else... at that time.

But when I used to try to sell and trade action figures on different message boards back in the early 2000s, all the lowlife nutcases and rude jerks were from the Spawn/McFarlane Toys and wrestling figure forums.

EDIT: This reminds me that my local comic and toy store (which is essentially a museum of action figures from the '80s to the present) now stocks the old McFarlane Angela figure with all their Marvel Legends and the old Playmates WildC.A.T.s figures with their Mattel DCUC and DC Direct/DC Collectibles figures.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Mar 30, 2014

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
After following the reviews and hype for the last year, I finally got to read Copra #1, and it didn't disappoint at all. I was a huge fan of Ostrander's Suicide Squad, which helped.

I was planning to buy the three-issue Compendium editions until they sold out, but now I'll definitely jump on a collected edition with the first twelve issues. Fiffe hasn't announced anything definite about it, but that's a can't-miss. Hopefully he can get it sold on Amazon so more people have a chance to get it.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Literally The Worst posted:

Buying something for less than its worth, processing it for credit for credit for yourself, pocketing a couple choice things to sell for even MORE than you paid for it, and then posting about it on the internet to sound like an awesome dude with cool stories does, yeah.

The response to the guy being a dick is to tell him to piss off, not to return fire by being a dick back.

He wasn't a dick, just a competent comic shop guy and smart collector.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

redbackground posted:

I did too! :D

The sticker came right off with no residue or sign it was ever there.

Nice score! It's ridiculous how much the value of that comic had plummeted by the late '90s and how much it has skyrocketed even past its early '90s peak nowadays.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I had a bunch of store credit to use up at one particular shop across town, so I was there when they opened at 10 AM, and they were letting people take four FCBD books. I got the two I wanted the most, Transformers vs. G.I. Joe (Scioli's art is insane, especially his layouts) and Hip-Hop Family Tree, plus Guardians of the Galaxy and Atomic Robo.

They had a table with all the kid-friendly and most of the better-known FCBD issues out, but you had to ask for the less mainstream titles (Hip-Hop Family Tree and Atomic Robo) because they didn't have nearly as many copies.

I also used my store credit to get the Saga Volume 3 and Catwoman: Under Pressure TPBs for free, and I was out of there in under ten minutes. Under Pressure collects the last year of Ed Brubaker's run, which was never collected in the older print run of Catwoman TPBs. (The four earlier, shorter TPBs I already had are now published as longer Volumes 1 and 2, so this one is the new Volume 3.)

Three hours later, I learned via Twitter that Jim Lee was driving around Orlando, dropping in on comic shops, and showed up at the one I had visited this morning. I don't think I even own anything for him to sign anymore, but if I could travel back in time 20 years, I would have lost my poo poo to randomly run into Jim Lee at a comic shop (or more likely, lose my poo poo for narrowly missing him).

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

zoux posted:

Kind of surprised Bone wasn't anywhere on that list, I thought everyone loved Bone.

Also, how much of Fatale is available in trade, I liked the first one that I read as part of that humble bundle.

There are four Fatale TPBs out now, with a fifth and final volume due out in the fall.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Mr. Maltose posted:

Mister X is pretty great, and there was a sequel/tie-in/companion story (This would make more sense if you've actually read Mister X.) called Electopolis which features a pretty good robot detective story.

There's also Terminal City which I've yet to track down. They're all about three flawed cities in the same universe.

Terminal City is AWESOME. It was originally published by Vertigo as a nine-issue miniseries (later collected in a TPB) followed by a five-issue miniseries called Terminal City: Aerial Graffiti (never collected). More recently, Dark Horse got the rights from creator Dean Motter and published a slightly undersized Compleat Terminal City TPB with all fourteen issues. It's really fantastic retro-futurism with quite a bit of humor and some great Michael Lark artwork.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

enigmahfc posted:

Booster Gold did get one of those black and white Showcase deals, which was the whole run from the original series. I know some people hate black and white, but I have no regrets about buying that.

And a Showcase of Len Wein's '80s Blue Beetle series is finally scheduled. I had all the issues, so I bound them into a custom hardcover years ago, but at least DC is throwing people a small bone here.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Was Taters posted:

Seth Meyers :3:

Bill Hader, too. They co-wrote The Amazing Spider-Man: The Short Halloween one-shot, and Hader also wrote the introduction for one of Ed Brubaker's Incognito TPBs.

For the longest time, Seth Meyers' Twitter avatar was a sketch of Blue Beetle by Kevin Maguire, so he must have been a JLI fan back in the day, explaining a lot.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Did anyone else notice that the speech Matthew McConaughey gives at the end of true detective is almost totally lifted from the transporter accident issue of Top Ten?

I noticed! I fell in love with the show and thought his final monologue was incredible, but I knew that line was coming, and I knew it was cribbed from Alan Moore.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
We have two comic shops in Orlando that have bought up the spaces next door to them and turned them into event rooms. They both regularly host book clubs, art classes and contests, creator signings, concerts, stand-up and improv comedy, burlesque performances, and even weddings. One of them tends to be the more family-friendly store with a museum-like collection of new and vintage action figures, and the other one is actually decreasing the size of the comic shop in order to increase the size of their event room, which functions as a bar.

A close friend has the dream of founding his own comic/toy/all-purpose geek store but combining it with his other love, Scotch, as a high-end bar or liquor store specializing in Scotches and other whiskeys. I know the Isotope Lounge in San Francisco is a classy comic shop/bar, but I'm not sure how big the crossover market would be.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Binge-watching both seasons of Arrow in the last few weeks inspired me to reread the one Suicide Squad TPB that DC ever released. It was really ahead of its time, and has aged extremely well.

I liken it to JLI, which debuted at the same time (and even crossed over with Suicide Squad in their 13th issues), in that Giffen/DeMatteis and Ostrander took a bunch of characters that for the most part, nobody had ever cared about, and really developed their characters, gave them unique voices, and played those personalities against each other very well. Nothing else from mainstream DC or Marvel at that time felt like a TV show with modern dialogue and an ensemble cast of flawed, interesting characters, but those books did.

It made me decide to track down a complete run of Suicide Squad issues to get custom-bound into hardcovers, and I already have a lead. I think if I bind them, I'll add in the Blackest Night: Suicide Squad #67, Secret Six #13 (a Deadshot origin co-written by Ostrander), and the more recent eight-issue SS miniseries by Ostrander. That could either be three fat volumes or four more reasonably-sized ones.

Was "The Janus Directive" any good? I've never read it, but for the sake of completeness, would it be worth tracking down the Checkmate, Firestorm, and Captain Atom issues that cross over?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Yes, you want the whole Janus crossover. Don't forget to find the Deadshot mini series as well.

Those are the only issues I actually have!

Wondering if I should include Gage's more recent Deadshot miniseries at the end as well. I liked it a lot, minus his awful costume.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Madkal posted:

FYI Ostrander did do a recent Suicide Squad min that has been collected called From the Ashes which is pretty solid too.
As for collecting stuff, I am considering downgrading the mess in my room and have a bunch of single Suicide Squad issues. I can give you an inventory if you want (and if I can find them) and they are yours.

That's what I meant by the recent 8-issue miniseries. I used to own it in TPB, but must have traded it.

And thank you for the generous offer! I may or may not have a line on a complete run already, but I'd be really interested to know what you have.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

redbackground posted:

Sup, Lou.

As someone who has done exactly this, you want the entire Janus Directive, but the last Captain Atom issue only is relevant for one page, and then goes off into an unrelated Black Manta story. Here is my complete breakdown, including specifics to the end of Janus, where it gets a bit weird.

I would not bother with Gage's Deadshot mini, but the Ostrander one is a must.

If you include #76, you'll need Secret Six #17 & 18, too.

I'm in the middle of reading Vol. 2 right now, and man, it really does hold up incredibly well.

That was incredible of you to share that list. Thank you so much, as always! I read the whole SS series way back in the day before I foolishly sold it, but I've never read "Janus Directive" or many of those other tie-ins.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Have they explained why Falcon is taking over as Captain America in the comics? I have no problem with it, personally -- Sam makes a lot more sense as Cap's successor than Bucky Barnes ever did, after being Steve's best friend and loyal second banana for decades.

Plus, he was a big hit in the Cap 2 film, and I think that's the main reason: everyone is starting to worry about Chris Evans wanting to hang up the costume after making Cap 3 and Avengers 3, and having Sam/Anthony Mackie in line to take over the mantle makes good business sense all around.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I swear I have some early Birds of Prey issues by Greg Land (very early in the run, when Chuck Dixon was writing it), and they look decent. Definitely not the tracing he is infamous for now. What happened along the way, just pressure to meet deadlines that led to complacency? At one point, he was a perfectly decent (if unexciting) artist for a mid-tier book like that.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Just a heads-up that I'm selling comics and TPBs in a new thread in SA-Mart, along with some DVDs, books, retro-style shirts, a Nintendo 64, and more:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3658495

I just added on my complete, custom-bound hardcover volume of Howard Chaykin's Vertigo series American Century.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Ghostlight posted:

I thought Freedom Beast was pretty cool in Animal Man, though I get the impression he got pretty heavily hosed with by later stories.

My only national hero from the big two had the amazing superpower to SEE THROUGH TIME until he got hit in the face and entered a permanent coma.

Tuatara, right?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Kanga Rat Murder Society may not have many characters, but we have an awesome name on a map.

Pyro (X-Men), Captain Boomerang (Flash), a handful of Batman Inc characters and Slade Wilson / Deathstroke (Arrow) are the only ones I can think of immediately.

Also Manifold from Hickman's Secret Warriors and Avengers, and Gateway -- both teleporters.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

hi liter posted:

Hey folks, hope everyone is having a nice end to their weekend. Anyways, I found something pretty cool at my local weekly flea market that I thought I would share

http://imgur.com/a/9hNdi

Got the two of them for 5 bucks. These aren't worth anything substantial based on the 1 website I looked at, but as far as novice collection goes, I'm feeling pretty happy with myself.

Both series are very close to my heart, so congrats!

I'm probably the biggest Blue Beetle fan in BSS, so I got that entire 24-issue run bound (with Secret Origins #2 placed before BB #1). Some of it is pretty mid-'80s generic and mediocre, but Paris Cullins was really an underrated and underappreciated artist. I always wished he had done more work.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Sep 28, 2014

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

redbackground posted:

It's the only good thing Howard Chaykin has ever done.

Chaykin's best work was the first 12 issues of American Flagg!. He was a master of his craft then, and his artwork and especially the layouts were so creative and exciting and cutting-edge, they're awe-inspiring to look at even now. It's sad to see how his art has deteriorated as he aged.

But I've always loved that Suicide Squad #1 cover too, and often wished he had contributed some interior art. Deadshot and Rick Flagg were very Chaykin-style heroes.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I got this really nice sketch from Chaykin when I met him at MegaCon in '05 or '06:

Interesting guy to talk to, as well.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Was Taters posted:

Did I miss something? Is his name Gordan on the show? I missed an in-joke, right?

Or you're all trolling me, again. :sterv:

It's pronounced Gor-DON.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Nevvy Z posted:

This is a weird question, but is it common for different print runs of TPBs to look drastically different quality wise?

I just picked up the first TPB of Global Frequency after having had the second for ac ouple months, and it's way less glossy and just generally duller looking and I want to set it on fire and go find one that matches.
There are sometimes quality differences between certain print runs, as well as the general obnoxious issue of TPBs from the same series not matching at all. The latter is a pet peeve of mine, since I'm a little crazy about volumes of the same series matching on my shelf.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Madkal posted:

Ask me about my three different covers sandman trade paperback.

What about it? You're not making fun of me, are you? I've posted before about how desperate I am to end up with a matching set of Sandman TPBs, and I only need to swap out my volumes 6 and 10 for matching ones at this point.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I look for those at every comic shop I go to with no luck yet.

Hey! I really appreciate it, but please don't go to any trouble on my account.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I'm back from three different comic shops, where my wife accompanied me to fully take advantage of American Express' Small Business Saturday offer. For each transaction of $10 or more, we could get a $10 statement credit for each of our AmEx cards, up to three times per card. So with her help, we did this deal six times, and one store even had a 25% off sale going on today. I ended up with Fatale Vol. 5, the Moon Knight TPB by Ellis, and 18 back issues from my binding project want list. After we receive our separate $30 statement credits, we probably spent $20 out of pocket for all that.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Nov 30, 2014

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Hey Rhyno, I'm just catching up on a few days of BSS and TVIV posts, and you have my condolences, man. What a sad life, heaping nightmare after nightmare on that poor guy. I'm so sorry for your loss. It sounds like you were (and are) a good friend, so please try not to torture yourself too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

bairfanx posted:

I honestly can't see another way they could do that and have them explain away why there weren't metahumans before the accident? And Captain Cold and Reverse Flash are off the hook on that. As is... did we get a preview of Firebug or someone like that at the end of the Cold episode? And they borrowed the Clock King from Arrow while loaning out a traditional non-powered Flash villain for Ollie to fight. We also know we'll be getting the Trickster in the spring.

I think we're going to see a shift away from the "omg, the kryptonite made them super" trend that basically defined Smallville for seasons... until the magic came in.

Heat Wave, one of Flash's longest-standing Rogues, appeared with Captain Cold at the end there. We've also met Weather Wizard's brother in the pilot, Multiplex was a Firestorm villain, and The Mist was a Starman villain.

• Locked thread