Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Waterhaul posted:

Inkstuds is doing a Kickstarter to raise money to go on a tour with their podcast.

It's practically funded now anyway but they are doing some exclusive Brandon Graham and friends sketch book and has some signed Prophet books by all the creators working on it so should be worth jumping on before things sell out. Graham's Walrus book was really, really great.

Am I the only one that thinks it would be kind of hilarious for this thing to get so absurdly overfunded and have it just be people throwing money at two people who create really interesting and well-loved comics/comics-related things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Waterhaul posted:

Honesty those are the best kind of Kickstarters, especially when you know you're going to get a good product regardless.

Also in case people are wondering I am closing off a lot of old threads which are long overdue a reboot. The usual mantra of anybody can post a thread if they want applies.

Man, I am going to be the only one with that hoodie, aren't I?

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Mister Roboto posted:

How do people feel about the rumor The Matrix franchise is getting a reboot?

Is it called The Invisibles?

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

irlZaphod posted:

Dave McCaig is pretty great too. I loved him colouring Yu's New Avengers.

Oh, and Nathan Fairbairn. His colours on Burnham's Batman Inc were great, and if anything highlights how much a colourist can bring to a comic book, it's Scott Pilgrim - the original art was good, but it just really pops with Fairbairn's colours.

Was going to be pretty disappointed if I got to the end and didn't see someone praising Fairbairn. Guy did colors on Batman Inc, Swamp Thing, and Scott Pilgrim at the same time with all of them having very distinct palettes that would make you think they had different folks coloring them all. Easily one of the comics folks who deserves some more attention.

Other than Fairbairn, I've found a lot of my favorite colors come from artists who handle their own coloring, with Brandon Graham, Ron Wimberly, and James Stokoe getting the top spots for me.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Len posted:

I would love to see something like this for The Unwritten.

I've wanted to for years but I don't really have the background in literature/the ambition to gain the background in literature that would be necessary to annotate it properly. The Unwritten would probably best be served by a series of essays examining different ideas that span the length, too, though annotations would certainly be handy.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Spawn's design is so wonderfully silly. It just Spider-Man and Batman mixed together and then made totally extreme. It's something a twelve year old would come up with and that's the appeal.

Or, you know, Venom. With living costume and all.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Rhyno posted:

I had a dude buy a textbook from me on Amazon. He claimed they were full of highlighted chapters and demanded a refund without sending the merch back. Amazon old me I had to accept the return and when the book arrived it was an older version of the book I'd sold, something like 8 years older. The ISBN wasn't even the same. It took a while but I got the money back as well as a huge apology so they waived my seller fees for a week. Amazon treats the sellers quite well for the most part. Meanwhile I get harassed by that dude and Ebay does fuckall.

I take it you've learned your lesson, then? This is what you get for trying to unload issues of Spawn out into the world. They are your burden.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Waterhaul posted:

90% of the time the general comic consensus is the complete opposite of BSS.

And that's why we like it here.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
Not sure how many people are reading Superman Off the Chain or whatever it's called, but Snyder let it slip at C2E2 that Jim Lee is falling behind (shocker). It's still on schedule for publication, but he's a few weeks behind where they want to be. Who wants to take bets on whether this becomes the new ASBAR and never gets finished?

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Rhyno posted:

It's only running 9 issues, he can probably eek out those last 3 this year.

Ah, yeah, then that should be fine. I can't remember the last DC proper book I read, but I'll be damned if Snyder's enthusiasm for what he's doing didn't at least make me glad that he loves what he's doing over there.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

zoux posted:

It's nerds of all stripes I'm afraid. I'd be interested to see how many of these rape threateners consider themselves "nice guys".

Speaking of bad places to be a woman, does any superhero have a higher girlfriend bodycount than Matt Murdoch?

Kyle Rayner? I'm not counting, just guessing here.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Rhyno posted:

Specifically Lucifer.

I wish he was allowed to finish Crossing Midnight. That poo poo got canceled when numbers were expected to be higher and I get the feeling he may have gotten the full run if he'd just done it in an environment when the comics market was kinda shittier (like now). Maybe not, but I can dream.

Either way, go read Mike Carey. Only a few of his books have fallen flat for me (and if you dig his Hellblazer, consider the Felix Castor novels too). The Unwritten and Lucifer are top-notch stuff. I feel like his X-men stuff petered out eventually, but Supernovas was rad (and is conveniently available in a giant hardcover). And his Ultimate FF stuff was easily some of my favorite, especially the Psycho-man arc with Pasquel Ferry.

As to what else he's up to, he had a pretty disappointing book at Boom (I think). I read the first issue for free and felt like I had somehow wasted money.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Waterhaul posted:

This is disgustingly amazing. His super power is regurgitating pie forever.

That gif is so good.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

prefect posted:

They read from right-to-left over there, don't they? Flipping comics around seems like it would be a sensible thing for them to do.

Oh god, is this happening again?

Rhyno posted:

Can we please not do this again?

What I get for not reading further before responding in fear.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

CapnAndy posted:

That's from The Onion and Ryan Reynolds is actually a huge comic book geek who basically kept talking himself as perfect for any comic book movie, he didn't care, he just wanted to be a goddamn superhero, please can he be a superhero now. Unless I'm :thejoke:ing myself.

I remember him repeatedly saying he wanted to play the Flash, desperately so, but that he was told that there was nothing with the character in the works when he was offered the GL role. Although we've got a TV series coming up, I remember hearing they greenlit a script for a Flash film shortly after casting him as Hal.

I've been a fan of Green Lantern for about 15 years or so now, and I had to turn that thing off at about the halfway point. Reynolds' personality would've meshed with a Wally West Flash so drat well :smith:

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

zoux posted:

Nic Cage, to his great detriment.

Robin Williams is still a big fan, right?

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Waterhaul posted:

Avengers thread. It's just the end point of Hickman's run.

Part of me hopes Marvel Editorial was all "Jon, we need you to speed this up about eight months, your Avengers run is going a bit longer than we'd like" and his response was literally an eight month jump in time cutting out whatever buildup he was going to do in that time and just leaving it unexplained.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Was Taters posted:

He actually did good reporting a few years back on creator's rights issues, but that was some pretty unusual performance.

Even a blind squirrel.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
Do we still have a buy/sell thread anywhere? I skimmed SA mart and didn't see one...

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Rhyno posted:

Is the idea that you can hang out at a comic book/game shop for hours on end a widespread thing? I mean, I like most of my regulars but these two dudes have been here bothering me about YuGiOh for 6 loving hours. We don't even have open gaming today, they've just been standing at the counter talking about this poo poo since 2pm. (8:20 when I post).

Marc Maron has a bit about this in a WTF podcast a while back, relating to record stores. There is a social aspect of the whole thing, but they seem in pretty stark violation of the social contract too. The only shop I would routinely hang out in at all is the one I worked at, and even then it would depend on who's working. I would also hang out there before and after I worked there because I had friends on the clock, but if you're nothing more than their YGO dealer, I'm baffled.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Soonmot posted:

So, I went looking at other comic book forums while we were down and, holy poo poo, they really do all suck!

YEP

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

zoux posted:

Post your secret comic book thing you know you should be ashamed of.

I don't really like Allred's art.

I have zero shame every time I tell someone that Sandman is not revolutionary and you could make the case that Watchmen and DKR have done more harm than good to the medium thanks to all of the idiots who took the wrong lesson from them. I get these looks like "how dare you speak ill of these works of art," but even Moore had issues with Watchmen, DKR was beautiful to look at but that felt leagues better than its storytelling, and Sandman was kind of revolutionary 20 years ago. Now it's just good comics (which, hey, nothing wrong about that, but it's not some end-all be-all).

I think the closest thing to a comic book shame I could think of is that I thought Kirby's art was just god awful until maybe a few years back. It all depends on what you want in comics, but for so long his style was very much not what I wanted.

Oh, and gently caress Maus.

Action Tortoise posted:

I don't like McKelvie's faces. They all do that grimace with the side of the lip curled up.

All three of them?

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

WickedHate posted:

What's wrong with it?

Honestly, there's nothing wrong with Maus, but it falls into the same bucket as Sandman for me as things that are good that people think are loving brilliant in 2014. It has been talked and hyped to death, and I find it really interesting just how many people are going to point to it as a great artistic response to WW2 and the atrocities there when, you know, Kirby was doing it with what I would argue are more interesting metaphors than "Nazis are cats."

It reminds me of the story of the prominent authors who served in WW2 and what they came out of it writing about. People will talk a lot of poo poo about Catcher in the Rye, but the fact is that Salinger was one of the first soldiers to see some of the worst atrocities of that war. Rather than come back and write about the war, he wrote about a world that chews up and spits out innocence.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Skwirl posted:

If Sandman was revolutionary 20 years ago, but it's now "just good comics" that just proves how revolutionary it was, it's been so fully assimilated into modern comics that you can't tell why people thought it was so special in the first place.

I will say that I'd much rather reread Lucifer, and that the "done in one" stories are the best parts of Sandman (those and the arc that Lucifer spun out of).

I'm reading the original Lee/Kirby FF and it's a lot harder going than when I read through the Lee/Ditko Spider-man.

Yes, which makes Sandman relevant in a historical context, and you'll never hear me telling anyone that Sandman is bad, but it's far from the holy grail it's made out to be and its lack of cohesion is one of the biggest sore thumbs that sticks out decades later.

Timeless Appeal posted:

While a lot of Kirby's work is rooted in his hatred of Nazis, I think that much of the work that came out of it transcending a direct allegory to Nazi Germany and started discussing large issues which the Nazis were mere symptoms of. Anti-life and Darkseid's desire to achieve it are probably the most concise description of what evil actually is: The hatred of freedom, will, and thought outside of your own head.

I definitely agree that you can draw a line from Nazis to this

But the work lived beyond the author whereas Maus is trying to depict the specific experience of World War II and the persecution of Jews.

Thank you for putting that into better words. Kirby attempted to take from his experiences and tell something timeless, which to me is far more interesting, you know?

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

StumblyWumbly posted:

Calling this out as the shittiest opinion in the poo poo opinion thread. Maus was half WWII persecution, half how that rattled down through the rest that generation and into the next.

Yessssss.

Tell me I win something.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

CharlestheHammer posted:

That is not that impressive, ASM2 was a loving mess of a movie.

It's like Sony is playing some kind of horrible game, asking how they can so badly gently caress up and make boring Spider-man movies with a cast that fits the roles almost terrifyingly well.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Lurdiak posted:

Lots of rappers are huge nerds and sneak tons of comic book and video game references into their work, but try and tell that to your average kotaku-reading dipstick.

Man, I was losing it when The Adventures of Bobby Ray came out and I found a handful of lyrics sites telling me I was imagining B.o.B. name dropping Scott Summers in "Past My Shades." I assume they are all fixed now.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Starsnostars posted:

In the Kick-rear end movie the characters all hang out at a comic shop/coffee shop hybrid and I always thought that was a good idea, has anyone ever seen a real life shop like that?

Comics/Music/Coffee has been the go-to thought between a couple of friends and I for a successful shop that would actually last. The only downside we found to this is that you would have a tough time having a shop of an affordable size that had much in the way of backstock.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

moot the hopple posted:

I tried getting into his Felix Castor series but genre fiction isn't really my bag. I'm also afraid that I wouldn't enjoy his prose as much as his comics, as was the case with Greg Rucka. I know Rucka was a legit novelist before getting into comics but I found the Queen and Country books disappointing after the comics.

Speaking of Mike Carey, I've been checking out his lesser known Vertigo books Faker and My Faith in Frankie. They aren't as groundbreaking and exciting as Lucifer or The Unwritten, but they're pretty short and serviceable reading.

Have you checked out Crossing Midnight? It's probably my favorite of his lesser known stuff.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Senor Candle posted:

Something is going to happen that makes Steve age really fast so he'll be an old man.

Have they done this before? That actually sounds like a neat plot point.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Yeah, it's pretty great. You can draw a straight line through the Scott Pilgrims volumes to this in terms of O'Malley's growth as a storyteller. This book starts with the emotional honesty that it took six books of Scott Pilgrim for him to really to get to.

While I won't discount BLOM's improvement as a cartoonist since Scott Pilgrim Vol 1, as it's something apparent from volume to volume, emotional honesty was basically the journey of Scott Pilgrim from Vol 1-6 and I really question whether it has anything to do with the growth of the storyteller.

After I finished Seconds, it felt like the guy who wrote Lost at Sea came back from a 10-year artist's retreat, interested in using those skills to tell an emotional story that would resonate with someone who was a decade or two older than the cast of Lost at Sea. It's basically the best thing I think BLOM could've hoped for, as it distances himself from Scott Pilgrim just enough to keep him from being "The Scott Pilgrim Guy," assuming the next book doesn't flop.

Lurdiak posted:

I repeatedly did, but that was mostly an art issue where if someone changed their hair they looked like a completely different character.

The re-colored Scott Pilgrim volumes help this immensely for me, as things like hair color made it so much easier to distinguish between some characters at just a glance. Doesn't help a lot if they change their hairstyle, but it was something.

bairfanx fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jul 21, 2014

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Waterhaul posted:

Cameron Stewarts career is on a weird king of resurgence lately. After doing his own stuff and a handful of covers and Morrison books is now revamping Batgirl and working with Chuck Palahniuk on Fight Club 2.

Don't forget that he also did the Suicide Girls comic. He's never really gone away, but I'm glad he's getting some more work. I assume in the interim he probably did some design work to pay the bills, as his style would fit it pretty well.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Don't want to bring down the thread for comic con so I'll ask here.

Is the con more than just one big advert? From my perception that's what it is.

I was hoping maybe somebody here who's been could tell me if there's more to it.

Oh man, you've discovered the deep dark secret of comic conventions.

Cons can be great fun, depending how you go about them, but yeah, by and large they're a big advertisement that preaches to the choir. SDCC actually has some really great panels too, things that run from your typical "Marvel is announcing their next big universe shattering event" to "these academics are talking about cyberpunk and manga" and everything in between. SDCC and ECCC, from what I can tell, tend to have the best when it comes to panels, as they can get a bunch of creators in one room and, with the right host, get some great conversation going about comics.

Cons are giant advertisements mashed up with a shanty town nerd mall.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Facepalm Ranger posted:

I've worked a few cons in the uk and those were less advertisementy and more focus on lots of little sellers/indies guys with signings from bigger names which was cool. Purely comics no TV or film and it felt pretty chill and fun.

Maybe its just age (I'm 23 :wtc:) or cynicism but paying to go to a giant advert just isn't my bag. I'm also no longer as hyped for comics I guess as the extent of my conversations of things usually amounts to "yeah it was pretty good" or "yeah it was bad". Years of working in a comic shop I guess?

Anyway thanks man, was always curious if there was more to it than what I thought.

It is kind of more than what you thought though, too. A con is what you make of it, and the thing is, the bulk of a convention is all about the merch and the materialism, so if you're not super social and willing to talk and befriend folks, it can be a really depressing and isolating experience once you realize this. These days, I try to force myself to actually be social and get on with creators and industry folk I get along with when I go to one of the more commercial cons.

But the most fun I ever have at a con is when they are the indie/small press cons. CAKE was wonderful. I'm going to SPX for the first time this fall and I'm beyond excited. I've heard that TCAF is basically the same kind of thing and that ECCC tends to blur the lines between commercial con and comic con.

I've been following a fair number of people on twitter talking about SDCC, and I think it's telling that the coverage I'm enjoying the most has been David Brothers' #SelfiegoComicCon and having friends who are tossing their books at fans/creators and getting a positive response.

Basically, mash up my response with RevKrule's, and then make the con you go to what you want it to be.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Endless Mike posted:

Yo, give me a holler around that time. It's in my hood.

Harass me on Twitter about it sometime and I'll be more likely to remember. I'm sure I'll be tweeting about it as it comes up. I'll be coming in on the 11th and leaving on the 15th, so I should have plenty of time.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

RandallODim posted:

It will never stop upsetting me that those issues are missing from the Marvel Essentials of the series, both for the completionist in me and because I want to read ROM so loving badly.

The shop I worked at had, at one time, two solid bricks of ROM comics that included the full run, tie-ins/crossovers and all. One of them became the equivalent of the fruit cake that keeps getting regifted every Christmas, never opened and just passed from employee to employee as a gag gift.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Rhyno posted:

At our local con some dealer had a brick of 1-75+ Annuals with a $250 price tag on it. Dude was out of his mind.

Checked the inventory file on Dropbox, no Roms sadly. Might toss the cash at the missing issues though.

I want to say that the asking price for a set was about $100, solely because the first had been there for so long. Taking it home came with the caveat that, like a cursed trampoline, returns were not an option.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Skwirl posted:

In addition to Hickman having worked on FF a while ago, Fraction dropped FF to concentrate on Inhumanity, a property that's similar to the X-Men, but whose tv and film rights are wholly owned by Marvel/Disney (and then dropped that to concentrate on his own stuff probably because he makes more money off his creator owned stuff, and can sell the rights, though I doubt we'll be seeing a tv show called "Sex Criminals" any time soon).

Official story from Fraction on Inhumanity was that they were going back and forth about how to approach the series and he kept butting heads with editorial over what they wanted and what he was trying to give them. The rampant success of Sex Criminals and the fact that he's working with Michael loving Chabon on the next Casanova book, though, probably made it pretty easy for him to walk away from Marvel now that he's (presumably) turned in all the scripts on Hawkeye.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

StumblyWumbly posted:

Neal Adams is coming to my comic shop. I'm going to some Green Lantern/Green Arrow for him to sign, any other recommendations? I want to encourage my shop to get more creators in, they had Greg Pak in a while ago and nobody showed up. I would have liked to meet him, but I just forgot.

Hope you're bringing your cash. Maybe he does comic shop signings differently, but I think he was getting $20 for a signature at C2E2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Rhyno posted:

BSS is such an angry place these days.

I miss the hardhat spider-man days of old.

• Locked thread