Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Volfogg posted:

I'm probably going to dig myself ever so slightly deeper by buying some of the issues in Comixology's Marvel Now sale before it ends tomorrow. Goodbye money. :retrogames:

You know about Marvel Unlimited? Depending on how much you were wanting to pick up, and how much reading you could cram into a month's subscription, and if you don't mind not actually owning the digital comics, it'd probably be a much cheaper prospect.

e: Marvel's reader at least on Android and computer browser is much worse, though.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jan 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The big ears, gloves and gun have to be a reference to the comic's origins, but the concept is pretty lost in every other way he's presented.

e: Yeah. They're re-doing the first story.
http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2014/01/brad-meltzer-remakes-history-in-detective-comics-27/2/

How many covers has this thing got anyway?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jan 2, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I dunno if there's a big list of what's on there. I think all you can really do is look up a series and see if there are the little 'U' icons.
It's pretty broadly comprehensive. Some stuff is definitely not there, usually obscure series' but also the odd isolated issue could be missing while the comics around it are available.
Not sure what eras of Prof X you mean, but I know Uncanny is there from Vol 1. #1 to the current series six months ago (new releases don't appear for several months) so you should be able to find what you want. I'm going through Claremont's run myself.

There's a digital comics thread we should probably move the convo to.

irlZaphod posted:

2014 - The Year Of Soule.

This and fingers all the way crossed for Lemire to do something interesting with his JL book. JLD was dull as dishwater, but I'm fairly certain that book is cursed. Moving a team to Canada with Animal Man points to good things, I bet!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jan 2, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I hope DH does another omnibus sale before this all disappears.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The Marvel NOW! branding is over. Now it's All-New Marvel NOW! In six months they'll start Even More Marvel NOW!
You Thought It Was Over But Oh Lookie We Got You Some More Newer Marvel NOW!

Sundowner posted:

You really think The New 52 thing will be permanent? I figured it would stick around for a few years as promotional and eventually be phased out.

Are we talking branding or continuity? I bet those three words will be phased out next year.

Marvel NOW! and The New 52! badges serve the same purpose to be pointed at when someone is asking about getting into comics and not wanting to read years and years of stuff.
Once these volumes get into 30ish issue runs, that'll start to get meaningless and I'm guessing it's then they'll be gone (at least from DC. Marvel are going volume reset crazy right now. We might never see high issue numbers again from them.)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 4, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The series will probably be spinning heavily out of Infinity, so I'd recommend reading all of Hickman's MARVEL NOW!! Avengers stuff to start, which is a pile of great comics.
The crossover event was even pretty good, and those things are never good.

e:

Sundowner posted:

Are there enough trades out yet to get me caught up?

It looks like the latest Avengers, New Avengers and Infinity trades are all out by mid-feb.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jan 5, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Here are some series with recent new arcs/jumping-on points:

Green Arrow #17 as above.
Swamp Thing #19 is a new, excellent run by Charles Soule. Doesn't heavily rely on previous issues.
Batman #21+ is a year long origin arc that is very good and absolutely jump-on-able (e: I'd include #0 if you can find it. Sorta sets it up.)
Action Comics from #25 is a new author and a great change. Starts on a Batman Zero Year tie-in, but it's very stand-alone and good. Just young Supes rescuing folks from a storm in Gotham.
The Green Lantern books got all new creators at issue 21. Red Lanterns is especially good, same writer as Swamp Thing.
Justice League 3000 and Harley Quinn are brand new and are really fun so far.

Animal Man and Wonder Woman are my favorite series but you can't really start those anywhere but #1.

e: Oops. Added a few things and edited after you quoted me, quick guy.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jan 6, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Sundowner posted:

One thing I like about Hawkeye is that it reads really well digitally because there isn't a tremendous amount of detail hidden away on my smaller Nexus 7 screen. Any other books that work well digitally worth picking up? I've been thinking of reading Saga and The Manhattan Projects digitally as well. I love physical books but I literally get no use out of my Nexus 7 other than to read digital books.

How about the stuff built for tablets like Batman 66?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Sundowner posted:

Ehhhh I tried the free issue and didn't like it. I don't like the interactive/automated stuff.

Also unrelated but I just now found out that there are a few books between Batman Vol 3 and Zero Year. Have those issues been collected elsewhere or will they be? I'm trying to catch up on Batman as best I can so my current stack (all Zero Year stuff) doesn't sit for ages unread.

I dunno what they're planning to do with 18-20. I'm guessing they won't be in a trade by themselves, or in the Zero Year collection, cause they're pretty irrelevant to that.
Maybe there'll be a Damian fallout trade that 18'll slot into. No idea.

#18 is about Harper Row trying out being a hero while Batman is on a crime busting rampage in the wake of what happened to Robin in Batman Incorporated. Robin is barely in Snyder's Batman and you won't even see the event spurring his rage, so if you haven't been reading Grant Morrison's books you can safely skip it, though you might be interested in Harper by then.

#19-20 is a pretty inconsequential Clayface story.

They aren't bad, but you could certainly just jump to 21.

edit: Yeah. They're skipping them for the next trade.
http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Vol-Zero-Year-Secret-City/dp/1401245080

ee: That #19 cover, though.
:(

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jan 7, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Sundowner posted:

So there are some things in Morrison's New 52 version of Batman Inc. that relate? I do plan on reading those books.

Only the fact that Robin died. Tomasi's Batman and Robin is way more tied to the event since it's focus is on their relationship.

The books are more or less just opportunities for a bunch of creative teams to tell their Batman stories and are rarely beholden to each other beyond big status quo shifts. Whereas Death of The Family had related side issues involving Joker you could ignore, most other comic groups will require you to go from book to book in an event, so I appreciate the separateness of the titles (especially since they're not all great.)

Morrison's Batman should really be read as a whole from his Batman run, Batman and Robin, Return of Bruce Wayne and both volumes of Batman Incorporated. It's a fuckin' lot, but boy, it's good.
Again, it barely relates to Snyder's work, so if you're gonna, don't feel like you need to tackle it right away. Maybe there'll be a big ol' omnibus this year.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jan 7, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Wow. Vertigo can't be too happy about a Snyder creator owned going to Image.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Or is it Sputnik posted:

For a non-US person

The Golliwogg doll is a ubiquitous British thing. Everyone's mum or gran almost definitely had a lil smiling black caricature to hug.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 12, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Every month I buy 24 DC comics, 14 Marvel, 4 Image, 2 Vertigo, 1 Valiant and 1 Oni too many comics.

e: Actually, I probably spend more on videogames, the same on movies and a bit less on music, and get about equal enjoyment, so I'm not too concerned about how much I indulge in this hobby.

Some all-encompassing Comixology Unlimited subscription thing would be nice though.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jan 26, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Madkal posted:

(looking at you Daredevil)

The new #1 is still Waid and ongoing isn't it?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Soonmot posted:

How the hell are you still at 24 DC books? Are you including Vertigo?

Nope. The Wake and Truillium are the two Verts.

Action Comics
All-Star Western
Animal Man
Batman
Batman & Robin
Batwoman
Constantine
Earth 2
Forever Evil
Green Arrow
Green Lantern
Green Lantern New Guardians
Harley Quinn
Justice League
Justice League 3k
JLD
JLA
Pandora
Phantom Stranger
Red Lanterns
Supergirl
Superman Wonder Woman
Swamp Thing
Wonder Woman

I think Constantine and Pandora are the only legit bad comics which I'll probably drop after the Dark crossover.
Forever Evil is bad on it's own but I'm enjoying JL side stories, so it's really just for keeping up. JLA is bland, but Lemire's about to take it, so it wouldn't stay dropped.
I think everything else is very decent. SORRY!!
e: Oh yeah. 'Green Lantern' is really dull, but I enjoy the new status quo from Jordan and Soule's book, so that's sort of just tagging along too.

Rhyno posted:

God drat do you read some bad comics.

SORRY!!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jan 26, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Dan Didio posted:

Who's starring in Green Lantern right now? Baz?

Good ol' Hal.
I really liked when the comic was focusing on Baz and I hope he gets a place now that JLA is over and he ain't gonna be in Lemire's team.
All of the new GL writers have been ignoring him. It stinks.

He's got a gun and a squirrel buddy. Who doesn't want to write that comic?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

e:nm

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 28, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Tried Manhattan Projects, The Wake or Trillium?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I really liked Hector Hammond in the movie. That was about it.
If it just got him out space cop-ing on weird worlds like in the first animated movie, I think it would've gone over a lot better.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Hey. Congrats to everyone on their dumb expensive movies!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Can we make a move in this place against warrioring for companies, similar to the rule Games has? Although, I guess a lot of people would suddenly have nothing to post about.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Mar 11, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yeah. If you aren't giving all your cash to David Lapham today, you're living wrong.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Snider's American Vampire, which starts it's 'second cycle' today.
Jeff (Animal Man, Green Arrow) Lemire's Trillium.
Charles (Swamp Thing, She-Hulk) Soule's Letter 44.
Jonathan (Avengers) Hickman's Manhattan Projects and East of West.

Ghostlight posted:

when it cuts to him in the Avenger's lounge and he's just standing there quipping it just seems wrong somehow.

Sounds like any appearance he made in Bendis Avengers comics.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Mar 19, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

His knowledge about Marvel properties stops somewhere before 1968?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

SMP posted:

Anyone read the new Silver Surfer yet? I really like him as a character and am a fan of Mike Allred, but I hear nothing but bad things about Dan Slott.

It's all set up, so not much to go on, but it was beautiful and I didn't cringe at anything.
There a really nice part where Surfer is being toured around this cosmic resort filled with impossible attractions at the top of a double page spread while his future companion is showing tourists around her quiet little fishing village guest house at the bottom. I liked it.
Laura Allred is the star of this comic.

Mr. Maltose posted:

Do you like Doctor Who?

He only meets the girl on the last page.
I didn't read the point one (or today's infinite comic yet.) Are people just assuming what the comic will be?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 26, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yeah. You should absolutely send that story to Marvel. If you get the kids to draw pictures of her, you're fuckin' in!
It'd probably help out the person at Marvel who has a real time justifying the book to the higher-ups.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 29, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

He got final cut in the end didn't he?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Apr 2, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Sundowner posted:

So Detective #30 was amazing, right?

I haven't gotten to it yet, but that's good to hear. I got turned off their Flash for some reason.
There's the Batman thread, FYI. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3611589

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

To be honest I just find it crazy that for a series with building hype that it's not available digitally.

With all the options available, it's conscious choice to not make them mass market items (E: the individual issues at least.) The fact it's being sold on on Etsy along with hand made jewelry tells you something.

It's not the most ridiculous demonstration of limiting availability that I can think of. A few years ago I saw a really great art movie at a film festival, looked up where I could get a copy on DVD, and...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cremaster_Cycle#Availability

quote:

The full series was released in a limited series of 20 sets of DVDs, sold each for at least $100,000, in custom packaging – as fine art, rather than mass-market movies.[10] In 2007 one disc (Cremaster 2) sold for $571,000.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 5, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The last series before Rick Remender left was great. I'd fully recommend it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

BigRed0427 posted:

Also, is Castaway in dimension z any good?

So good. The series has been really middling since, but that first arc was great.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Sundowner posted:

if I believe what I hear from others, he's turned around a good number of books lately.

Red Lanterns. Swamp Thing. She-Hulk. Read em. (e: I guess Lanterns was the only huge turn around there. Was Thunderbolts terrible before him?)

I haven't read the annual, but I've warmed up on the new Batwoman. I think the last couple have been a lot stronger than the first few.

e: That art example looks better than the regular series art to me. I love Bullock's face in the foreground.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 08:14 on May 2, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I think in the story running in Thor right now he was using some Galactus sized machine to draw energy out of the earth's surface.

I used to imagine he'd just sort of vacuum planet bits into his mouth.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 06:24 on May 5, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

This wasn't great of him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPhlWKi9uKQ

Who knows why DC fired him, but I would've done it for posting that.

e: Scott Snyder, Mark Waid and others in a drunken batarang throwing contest.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/05/05/when-scott-snyder-got-batarangs-and-why-mark-waid-does-not-write-batman/

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:03 on May 6, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It was pretty lame of him to act all coy afterwards.
I guess he had just used Scott Snyder signing as his store's FCBD attraction.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 11, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Metal Loaf posted:

what would be your most-wanted DC omniboo?

All I want for christmas is me Doom Patrol omni and it's coming :)

I bet Grant Morrison has had more recent Omnibuses and Absolutes that anyone.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:50 on May 12, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

TwoPair posted:

Is there a place somebody has compiled all the tweets of said silly argument? I would very much like to read any creator trash-talkin' Futures End.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/05/06/mark-waid-vs-dan-jurgens-over-the-new-52est-title/

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

For the sewn on body part part, he is Frankenstein. Being half run by Azzarello and Lemire, two extremely good writers (e: and Giffen who's right now doing another dark comedy future book), I took the #0 as very purposefully making the most stupid ridiculous Terminator future they could think of. How is the Frankenstein scene anything but comedy?
I'm not sure if the series is even gonna go back there again.

e: The OMACed Batmen of All Nations lead the charge into the Batcave at the end. It's undeniable complete silliness.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 15:21 on May 12, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

zoux posted:

Oh the Braniac that Batman invented. Or something, like I said I don't read DC.

Kirby's OMAC, Rucka's Infinite Crisis OMAC miniseries (incl Countdown to IC one-shot), and Paul Pope's Solo story are all good stuff.
The N52 OMAC series was dumb short lived fun too.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

That wouldn't even work. You clearly need the whole vocal system for her power!

:goonsay:

He could have it all shoved in there.

• Locked thread