Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think the lack of gravity-based superpowers in comic books is because there just aren't any good names for someone with gravity powers. Graviton? C'mon.

He fucks up the Avengers in the pilot of EMH and his wikipedia page powers reads like he could be the Avengers equivalent of Magneto but most people have never heard of him.

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Feb 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also if your name is too close to your superpower Nick Fury might just punch you in the throat for being a dumbass.

Does anyone control strong/weak nuclear force?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This is a question, but I feel like it's going to cause more discussion than the Q&A thread is specifically for, but why do people seem to hate the major Marvel crossovers so much? I'm doing this huge read of all the post-2004 stuff, so I've read Civil War, Dark Reign/Siege, Secret Invasion and I'm coming up on Fear Itself. I've seen a lot of people talk a lot of poo poo about these events, but when I read the central series to these events, it wasn't so bad. Now, I did find it a bit tedious to read, for example, the Dark Reign tie-in stuff every time I got to that point in the various books I was reading. So was it just that it took over every book for few months and people got tired of the story lines, or was it that the story lines were bad? I'm pretty new to comics and I didn't ever read a comic book until I was an adult, so I probably have some different sensibilities than people who grew up reading comic books through the 80's and 90's. Like, I read every X-book from ReLoad to AvX and while several people recommended to me that I should skip certain runs, none of it stuck out as particularly awful. There were some runs that were better than others, but nothing stood out to me as unreadable. It may be down to the fact that I'm reading them all at once on MU, so I'm not spending $3 bucks an issue and I don't have a whole month to dwell on a bad issue or even a few bad issues.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I did think it was funny that they threw out the Registration Act post-Siege because Steve Rogers said so.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Hey, Civil War gave us learning that Cap doesn't have a MySpace account or watch NASCAR. If that's not important, I don't know what is.

Me neither! Just one of the many ways I am exactly like Cap.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Radioactive Cyclops :eng101:

Also in reading so many modern comics I have developed a deep dislike of Land. I'm assuming he keeps getting work because he meets deadlines.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

Land has fans much like the terrible artists of the 90's had fans: people who look at the "cool" picture (which really isn't but that's its own thing) and don't really understand the concept of sequential art.

All his women's faces are identical, they are always standing in model poses, and every one is guffawing all the time. Before I started I knew about his rep, and still I tried to keep an open mind, but nope, every time he jumped on a book I was reading he almost ruined it.

What's his rep around the industry?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

He was tracing even then. Scott McDaniel blew up over it some years back because half of Land's action poses were lifted from McDaniel's old issues.

See this is why I asked about his industry rep. Land swipes a lot, and I figured that other artists wouldn't just be cool with it.

This tumblr has a lot of examples of his swipes.

http://gently caress-no-greg-land.tumblr.com

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Size of the drawing. Tabloid is a size of print and I'm assuming the Spanish is a cognate.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

About how long does it take you, the generic you, to read a regular weekly comic book?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

I feel like I can read the Walking Dead in <5 minutes since there is really nothing there. However, an Allred takes longer since I will be looking at the art. A Moore will take longer since I will be looking at the words and art. A Claremont will take even longer since he has so many loving words, and most are unneeded

Yeah, it takes me longer to read a Bachalo book because I'm trying to figure out what the gently caress is going on. And shorter to read a Land book because I'm trying to look at the art for the absolute minimum time.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This Cable time travel poo poo is out of hand:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

And take two of everything that walketh on four feet and....er better make that legs.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ah, so it turns out Bishop caused the Great Flood!

Zachack posted:

Noah-prize?

:golfclap:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Benito Cereno posted:

Oh man, you are talking like a bunch of dudes who have not seen Liefeld's Bible character redesigns from a few years ago.

Samson's wearing that Shatterstar head thingy.

Is there a name for that half cowl that characters like 90's Jean Grey and Gambit wear? Is there some real life analogue?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Hell, Ronin's original identity was a secret for awhile, too.

Twice wasn't it? First Echo then Clint? I remember wondering who it was both times.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

RDJ's birthday is today. So he had a bunch of kids over to watch Cap 2.

That would be pretty fun...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Whoa Strong Female Protagonist is real good.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Some people have all the luck...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That kid's name...Greg Land :monocle:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

no-sell fire

What does this mean?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I see. Is Venom a good guy or a bad guy right now?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The last Venom related thing I read was when the former Scorpion was him in Dark Avengers.

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Apr 17, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'd really like to sit in on one of these arbitrations where actual professional lawyers have to argue before a judge about hyper techincal grognards comic book lore poo poo.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Marvel was days from being sliced up and sold in lots when they made the first film deal.

How much more profitable is Marvel now than it was at its lowest point? And also, if you know, at its previous highest point?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cool you just reminded me that Facebook spent 3x more for a chat app than Disney did for loving Marvel Comics.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Vincent posted:

I started re-watching Justice League from the beginning on Netflix. It's still good, but I forgot how much Superman and J'onn got punked on it.
I'm also thinking about buying my first action figure ever (Brother Warth) and putting it next to my Ganesha statue.

S1 of Justice League sucks pretty hard imo, but s2 on into JLU loving more than makes up for it.

How is Young Justice?

Also does everyone have A vs X, I thought it was pretty ok :shrug: (I just finished it yesterday).

zoux fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 22, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So is that Watcher thing going to be a huge derailing company wide crossover as well?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oracle posted:

Young Justice was everything the Teen Titans should be and so of course it got cancelled. Watch the whole first season and marvel at the competency of the storytelling and characterization. Sob that S2 isn't up on Netflix yet.

It's a 2 season show right? Did it end abruptly on a massive cliffhanger or did they get a good conclusion?

Why are all the new DCAU shows only 2 seasons?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

Kid-targeted shows usually only run for a handful of seasons. Notable exceptions being Rugrats and Spongebob (which shall run forevermore until the end of time).
BTAS ran forever.

E: hm it actually didn't I guess I just watched it forever. 85 eps though.

zoux fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 22, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

drat these kids loving up shows for children that I, a grown rear end man, like to watch!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It doesn't end on a cliffhanger per se, but ends on a massive dangler instead. The third season would have been the overall climax of the series' plot.

I'll give it a shot. I'm having my wisdom teeth out on Monday and I'll need some low stakes TV to kill time.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My roommate was hating on Doop the other day, I almost went upside his head.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Is he a member of the league of nazi bowlers?

Nah he's Dr Doom, who Doop once made cry.

And 9/11, 9/11 once made Dr Doom cry.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What! Janet Van Dyne didn't actually die during the Skrull invasion! I'm literally gobsmacked!

So is stuff like that planned out at the time of "death" or do they just have a list of characters that writers are allowed to bring back whenever oh, and there is no one not on that list?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sundowner posted:

Also can someone sum up the difference between the Ultimates and their other-Universe counterparts and/or why the Ultimates were created other than adding another line of the same books? Are any of the other Ultimates series worth reading as someone who's not a huge fan of Marvel heroes?

I believe the Ultimates were created for a number of reasons, one was being a more easily accessible jumping on point to new readers. That's what it was for me, I started reading comics well into my 20's and the idea of just picking up whatever this week's Spiderman or X-men book with no context or knowledge of what's going on and what is happening was too daunting and kept me mostly on the fringes reading acclaimed minis or other limited runs. So, being able to pick up a comic where there wasn't a 40 year backstory like USM or UFF was what got me into reading actual superhero books.

Also I think it was a way to update the characters so they didn't have weird timelines where they were in their late 20's but had been around since the '60s. Peter Parker is the Bugle's webmaster instead of a freelance photog. They also kind of deal with real world politics in a more realistic way. And Freddie Prinze Jr.

As far as good Ultimate books, I was a big fan of Ultimates vol 1 and 2. USM is great from day one imo, and I liked the take on FF where they were much younger and Reed is kind of nuts pretty well. Stay away from Ultimate Iron Man.

zoux fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Apr 24, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Daredevil, Alias.

I have the controversial opinion of actually liking Bendis so if you just want to read his stuff he wrote Avengers for like ten years starting in '04.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sundowner posted:

What do you mean? I'm not really familiar with Bendis the guy or the writer. v:v:v

I think a lot of people think he's over exposed. He was involved in like every big crossover book since the mid 2000's, he wrote Avengers and New Avengers and USM for years and years and years, now he's writing the two main X-men books. He has a definite style and when you are reading the same style over and over and over again, it can be grating for some people.

My main criticism I guess, and remember I am a Bendis fan, is that he has trouble distingushing voices some times. Around Siege and Fear Itself two of his books had this same gimmick where somebody was interviewing all the Avengers talking about what was going on after the fact, and then the main story of the book would take place in a flashback. So you might have two pages with 12 panels each, and in each panel you have a different Avenger commenting on the action or theme of the plot, but there's really no distinguishing voice. Hawkeye talks like Tony talks like Cap talks like Ms. Marvel and so on.

bobkatt013 posted:

Seriously never read Age of Utron.
I've heard this so often that I have actually steered clear of it, but what is so bad about AoU?

Also, as a non-DC reader, I'd be interested in a write up of why exactly new-52 is so bad. I know nothing about new-52 except that people seem to hate the poo poo out of it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

That reminds me how is the new Secret Avengers?

I just started all the Marvel Now!!!!! stuff so I'll let you know in a couple of days. So far Nick Fury's black all of a sudden and Quake is referred to as Director Johnson????

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Daisy Johnson is 18 years old right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nice write up.

So, how does that work with the Earth Green Lanterns if they aren't affected by the reboot? Do they show back up to Earth and maybe mention that everything is completely different from how they remember it last time they were here?

• Locked thread