Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Wait why are the Dakar organizers evil shitlords?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

keevo posted:

When it was in Africa, there were complaints because it disrupted the locals and killed livestock, plus the whole rich Westerners having a race in the third world angle, which I think is kinda bullshit but whatever.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

George Zimmer posted:

When it was in Africa, there were complaints because it disrupted the locals and killed livestock

Pretty sure it also disrupted the livestock and killed the locals

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It killed the participants too, tbf.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Also the locals killed participants.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

In all seriousness, the Dakar needs to go back to Africa one of these years. Alternating between Africa and South America would be pretty dope.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
I want a rally raid in Siberia. The Gulag Grand Prix.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

George Zimmer posted:

I want a rally raid in Siberia. The Gulag Grand Prix.

And it MUST be in winter

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I'm holding out for a race across TRANSCON 1, myself.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Hey guys look a new scoring system for the Dakar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2x7gHxQYYE

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

keevo posted:

In addition to the other stuff, they openly and incompetently play favorites with the rules, routes, and stage closures to the factory teams (especially if they are French) and the star riders/drivers (especially if they are French).

There are also cases to be made about the environmental destruction and promising economic benefits to poor villages and instead running them down with jeeps, but I choose to ignore that so I can enjoy the race.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

RIP Oil Sheik Drag Racing

http://www.nhra.com/story/story.aspx?F_y=2015&F_m=1&F_d=5&CustomURL=al-anabi-2015-plans&AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

ooof, man, the top tiers of the NHRA are in trouble

I know personally Hot Rod Drag Week is much more compelling to me than that poo poo is

the_worm_
Mar 11, 2001
Not just Allen Johnson's race team, but a ton of Pro Mod teams took the Sheik's money. The racism showing up on the Facebook drag racing news sites blows my mind (but then again, it is social media)
It would be nice to see some of the AJR guys show up on Force's team.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
My favorite part of the NHRA is that they made no attempt to slow the cars down after Kalitta's death, they just chopped the tracks and called it a day. A few years later and they're running higher trap speeds with an extra 320 feet of runoff.

There's a physics lesson just waiting to be learned in there, somewhere.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Breaking speed/track records is such a huge part of NHRA's appeal that I can get why they weren't inclined to significantly slow the cars. For me, the big takeaway from the Kalitta accident was "Why the hell was there a big crane at the end of the pit", not "why was a drag car going so fast".

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
That crane was incidental, hitting the wall before it was what killed him. He was gonna get hosed up regardless, because he hit the trap at over 250mph after his chutes failed. That was gonna be a ride no matter what.

This goes back into what I've said about tracks in other series. Sanctioning bodies and track operators don't want to spend the hundreds of millions of dollars to ensure a safe environment for participants and spectators, so they slow the cars. In the NHRA's case, what you said is absolutely correct, setting top speed and low E.T. records are absolutely crucial to the sport. They really can't slow the cars down, and tracks like Englishtown can't be extended for more runoff. So if they don't want to sink the money (that they don't have anyway) into safer tracks, they are just kicking the tragedy can down the road a year or two.

We crack on Indy and USAC a ton but the NHRA is the organization in real trouble. They have issues from top to bottom, it's hilarious.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Solution: Get rid of the dw12 prototypes Top Fuel and just run god's beloved roadsters gt pro stock.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

How to fix drag racing: One lane, start lines at either end. First one to turn away loses.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

WindyMan posted:

How to fix drag racing: One lane, start lines at either end. First one to turn away loses.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

How to fix drag racing: John Force, with whatever car he decides to build, on a two-mile-long runway. Start at one end, traps at the one mile mark.

Then lace his after-race drink with cocaine.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Word on twitter is that someone at Dakar has died.

EDIT:
Confirmed: http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2015/us/stage-3/special-release.html

George Zimmer fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 7, 2015

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

VikingSkull posted:

We crack on Indy and USAC a ton but the NHRA is the organization in real trouble. They have issues from top to bottom, it's hilarious.

I said this in the Indycar thread a few years back and got shot down pretty quick, but it's true.

Which makes me sad, because the NHRA was my gateway drug into racing as a kid.

hunnert car pileup fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 7, 2015

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

George Zimmer posted:

EDIT:

it begins

Fauxhawk Express posted:

I said this in the Indycar thread a few years back and got shot down pretty quick, but it's true.

nah, it's true, the NHRA above Pro Stock is loving broken... and after Larry Larson ripped a 6.16 in a steel, street legal S-10 at Drag Week, Pro Stock is close to irrelevant, too

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Protip: If you do go to an NHRA national event, people will leave the stands en masse to hit the concessions/pits once the pro stocks come to the line.

Those people are assholes. Don't be like them. Pro stock owns.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

George Zimmer posted:

EDIT:

Sounds like a medical issue, as opposed to a fall or something. Dakar aint kind. Shame, at 39. :(

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

Cygni posted:

Sounds like a medical issue, as opposed to a fall or something. Dakar aint kind. Shame, at 39. :(

IIRC the exact same scenario played out last year.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Protip: If you do go to an NHRA national event, people will leave the stands en masse to hit the concessions/pits once the pro stocks come to the line.

Those people are assholes. Don't be like them. Pro stock owns.

Pro Stock is especially cool if you sit at the traps, because when you see how close the finishes are it'll blow your mind.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

A decade from now IHRA is gonna be the main drag racing series in the US.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Possibly Chicken posted:

A decade from now IHRA is gonna be the main drag racing series in the US.

That's like saying in a decade ASA will be the main stock car series.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Yeah, IHRA is its own hilarious thing. It's ARCA to the NHRA's NASCAR.

IHRA has Pro Mod, though, and Pro Mod owns

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Dempsey is running their 911 in Brumo's colors for the 24 and I like it.

the_worm_
Mar 11, 2001
IHRA got destroyed when they were bought out by the Monster Jam folks (they were already in decline though)

The guys running NHRA are it's own worst enemy.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

the_worm_ posted:

IHRA got destroyed when they were bought out by the Monster Jam folks (they were already in decline though)

The guys running NHRA are it's own worst enemy.

I did not know the IHRA was bought by the USHRA.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Oh yeah, the best time of the year. New car time.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I love me some proper touring cars.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Priaulx to WSR is awesome news

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Formula E in Argentina this weekend. I came across an old U.S. all-electric series from the late 90s/early 00s called Formula Lightning that was a spec chassis series for college engineering students. I don't remember this at all, but it was on ESPN and raced support to IndyCar here and there. And they had battery-swap pit stops!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6qjJWFRrlI

Pretty neat. IRP, Mid-Ohio, Cleveland. The bit from Cleveland starts at 3:00 and builds up to the start of the race and turn 1. You should know how that turns out.

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

CactusWeasle posted:

Priaulx to WSR is awesome news

Where's that leave Turkington? This'll be twice he's won the championship and been left without a drive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Ebay pulling out already screwed him.

None of WSR's 3 2014 drivers have signed and there's 1 car left assuming they can run only 3.

Nick Foster's said he's retiring, I imagine because of his age and the fact he'd suddenly need to bring a lot more money than Contour had been putting in up till now. Shame, he was always my favourite of the "Gentleman" drivers.

So Rob and Colin are battling over one car. It appeared Colin had more of his own money last year than Rob but is either bringing enough to run a car?

If anyone didn't know, Sam Tordoff is moving over from MG to take car 2 at WSR but we've not seen the livery yet. JCT600 is his personal sponsor.

• Locked thread