Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the_worm_
Mar 11, 2001

Peanut President posted:

I did not know the IHRA was bought by the USHRA.

It goes way back to when they were a part of Clear Channel, then LiveNation. The Monster Jam folks (Feld Entertainment) changed all the formats. Booked in Top Fuel and Nostalgia Funny Cars, burned the bridges with Pro Mod and alcohol. There was no qualifying, the pro classes became booked match races.
Apparently they're owned by the folks that own Palm Beach International Raceway now, but I don't know how they will come back. It's either the NHRA now, or one of the 1/8th mile Pro mod associations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Dixon fastest in the first Roar session, Hand second quick. Ford's looking a lot better than this time last year.

Factory Aston fastest in GTLM, Dempsey's 911 fastest in GTD, Bruno fastest in PC.

One more afternoon session today, tomorrow has 3 sessions including the night one.

http://scoring.imsa.com/

Cygni fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jan 9, 2015

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Also red bull frozen rush finals are on right now, off road trucks going head to head on a ski slope. :hellyeah:

Redbull.tv

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

24hrs of Dubai is running right now.
http://www.24hseries.com/live/live-broadcast

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

the_worm_ posted:

It goes way back to when they were a part of Clear Channel, then LiveNation. The Monster Jam folks (Feld Entertainment) changed all the formats. Booked in Top Fuel and Nostalgia Funny Cars, burned the bridges with Pro Mod and alcohol. There was no qualifying, the pro classes became booked match races.
Apparently they're owned by the folks that own Palm Beach International Raceway now, but I don't know how they will come back. It's either the NHRA now, or one of the 1/8th mile Pro mod associations.

1/8th mile pro mod is pretty badass at least.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Yeah the IHRA stuff was a joke. I remember when all that went down.

I hope the NHRA doesn't go out of business. I just got into drag racing and now it's going down the tubes (I'm exaggerating of course, but still the news has been really bleak as of late). When I was at my first race last fall I found out about the Sheik's involvement via some wildly racist folks in the stands spouting off about the team. The facebook stuff is also pretty bad.

Speaking of monster truck stuff, I'm pretty excited this weekend as the newest Bigfoot truck is going to make it's debut. I was at the shop two weeks ago for testing and Bigfoot #21 is a beast. The shock angles are really horizontal compared the vertical designs of past trucks and it absorbs everything so much better. The real test is competition though, so we will see how it holds up.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
speaking of Bigfoot, here's an AI crosspost taken from one of those old monster truck vids

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Hand fastest in 2nd Roar session, Shank's Ligier only a tenth back.

The new HPD on the other hand isn't doing so hot. Only a few tenths faster than the Mazda, about 3 seconds off the pace... Just testing and a brand new car and all, but probably not ESM was hoping for.

e: TV schedule for the 24 is out. 4 hour window that a lot of people won't be able to watch cause its on FS2. Also I love that FS1 would rather play lovely infomercials all night than the race. gently caress fox. http://www.imsa.com/articles/fox-network-broadcast-highlights-fox-sports%E2%80%99-coverage-53rd-rolex-24-daytona

Cygni fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 10, 2015

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Bentai posted:

24hrs of Dubai is running right now.
http://www.24hseries.com/live/live-broadcast

#70 car has a handicap pit stall

http://www.24hseries.com/news/24h-series--a-dream-comes-true-for-mission-possible-by-sorg-rennsport

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jan 10, 2015

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
#50 DP went up into the fence and came down on it's roof

"SC365 posted:

Saturday morning’s test session at the Roar Before the Rolex 24 was cut short after a massive airborne accident for the No. 50 Highway to Help Riley-Dinan DP in the Daytona tri-oval.

Byron DeFoor was at the wheel of the Daytona Prototype when eyewitnesses said it suddenly spun backwards, caught air and went into the catch fence.

The car landed upside down on its roof on the racing surface entering Turn 1. DeFoor has been taken to the infield medical center, with a further update to follow.

Xisticide fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 10, 2015

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Same thing happened last year in the same spot IIRC

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

VikingSkull posted:

Same thing happened last year in the same spot IIRC

Yep it was the 90 corvette that did it and almost cleared the fence. Maybe it's time to invest in roof flaps or diffuser flaps that the deltawing has.

e:
http://www.racer.com/imsa/tudor-uni...ruett_Fri19_324

Good run down of things from yesterday and funny to see sandbagging once again. Not shocked with WTR Corvette getting fastest time all weekend this morning. Also good to see Mazda being 20 mph faster than last year.

BMB5150 fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jan 10, 2015

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Formula E is racing on FS2, streams are online if you google a bit. Reminder to only watch if you dont have dogs/significant others in the room cause the noise they make is loving horrid.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Just caught the last two laps of that race. Hilarious and awesome and hilariously awesome.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
The entertainment value from Formula E is so impressive you'd almost be forgiven for thinking they are real race cars

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

CactusWeasle posted:

The entertainment value from Formula E is so impressive you'd almost be forgiven for thinking they are real race cars

The racing is electrifying isn't it

ed- holy poo poo, that was a fantastic race

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V51gFdiH9yo

WindyMan fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 11, 2015

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
Looks like the right rear went, same as last years I think.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
So I reupped my iRacing sub last night, promptly jumped in an open fixed Cup race at Talladega and was involved in a massive wreck where I flipped end over end about six times.

Such a great game.

e- gently caress, the iRacing discussion happened in the Indy thread, not this one. Oh well. Topical considering the above post I guess.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

WindyMan posted:

Just caught the last two laps of that race. Hilarious and awesome and hilariously awesome.

I was just like :wtc: the entire time from the safety car period where everyone was "how do I wavearound" to the last insane 5 laps. Hilarious.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

This week I'm going to slowly create the new thread and updating some stuff and so forth. Want to add a series, rundown of a series, etc... just give a shout. Also let Misc. Auto Racing 2015 thread naming commence.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Misc. Auto Racing 2015: At least our criminals are non-violent

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Kilonum posted:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Kilonum posted:

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Kilonum posted:

Nailed it, boom

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Coming soon to GTLM:

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Chili Bowl starts tomorrow night. Best racing event of the year, every year.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Cygni posted:

Coming soon to GTLM:

Is that ford's new ride? I'd be fine with that. :getin:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
3.5TT Ecoboost, too, sliding nicely under the WEC and IMSA regs that boosted cars must displace no greater than 4.0L

Surely a coincidence, that.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Cygni posted:

Coming soon to GTLM:

that every single new american sports car is just retreads of older designs really shows how completely creatively bankrupt american automobile design is

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
that only has enough design cues to market it as a GT (frunk vents lol) and is completely different otherwise, and the prior GT and current one are way different than the GT40

what are you even talking about

e- I mean, I guess they could vary it some like Porsche does with the 911, huh

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

VikingSkull posted:

that only has enough design cues to market it as a GT (frunk vents lol) and is completely different otherwise, and the prior GT and current one are way different than the GT40

what are you even talking about

e- I mean, I guess they could vary it some like Porsche does with the 911, huh

it's less derivative than your standard :effort: american sports car i suppose, but it's still relying on design cues from when america knew how the gently caress to design cool things.

also porsche is the only car company i dislike more than the big 3 american car companies so that's like the worst possible example you could have used. porsche and their diehard 'we want the exact same lovely car with the same dumb configuration over and over' fanbase can both go dive under a tractor.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Cubey posted:

it's less derivative than your standard :effort: american sports car i suppose, but it's still relying on design cues from when america knew how the gently caress to design cool things.

also porsche is the only car company i dislike more than the big 3 american car companies so that's like the worst possible example you could have used. porsche and their diehard 'we want the exact same lovely car with the same dumb configuration over and over' fanbase can both go dive under a tractor.

You're literally bitching about them taking design cues from a sexy car, to design another sexy car.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

orange juche posted:

You're literally bitching about them taking design cues from a sexy car, to design another sexy car.

if the only way you can make a sexy car is to rip off an older sexy car, you need to hire better designers.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Cubey posted:

if the only way you can make a sexy car is to rip off an older sexy car, you need to hire better designers.

'I wish they would make their car perform worse and sell less so that it looks weird'.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Cygni posted:

'I wish they would make their car perform worse and sell less so that it looks weird'.

i wasn't aware that ripping off your old cars was necessary for your new one to perform well. thanks for letting me know~

also my point is less about this car in particular and more about american car design in general over the last 10+ years.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jan 13, 2015

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
That car sucks rear end because it has a blue oval on the front of it imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Alain Post posted:

That car sucks rear end because it has a blue oval on the front of it imo

This.

I'd like the car a lot more if Edsel Ford II and Jamie Allison weren't remotely involved in it.

(and it's for the exact reason every one else is guessing)

I do love the old school Ford GT's though.

• Locked thread