Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
My (finished) basement just flooded, gonna cost us a ton.

Thankfully we have ynab and a budget for emergencies, so nothing needs to change finance wise, just get this paid and keep refilling that bucket!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

But now in my CC Payment category, it is asking me to cover the -$20 by moving some kind of money to it -- this is part I don't get. I should not have to move any money to cover this, the money went from Savings to the CC so it should balance out, right? I don't see why I would need to pull money from my checking to "pay" for a movement of money that is already covered.

Maybe you can post some screenshots because what you are describing does not happen normally, I even tried to replicate it with a new budget without success.

I created a new budget, created a visa with -100 opening balance and savings with 1000 opening balance. Put in a txn for $20 against the visa (so balance is -120) then paid 20 to the visa from the savings account. Budget now shows visa as owing 0.00 payment with a -100 balance.

Edit: note that if you are paying more of your balance than you spend in a given month you should also assign money to the cc budget category to account for debt paydown but that's not what you're describing and ynab doesn't force you to do this.

edit 2: alternatively, watch this and make sure you're creating accounts, recording purchases, and recording payments the same way: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZlAj1utJFI

Cold on a Cob fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 21, 2024

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

I go to the +20 transaction on my CC Credit, and file it under the CC Payment category. This then correctly identifies the -20 on the savings account as the "Sending money to the CC" part of the transaction, which is good. But now in my CC Payment category, it is asking me to cover the -$20 by moving some kind of money to it -- this is part I don't get.

Ok so maybe this is where it’s going wrong. To record a payment, you tap on Budget, tap on credit card payment category, then you tap on “record payment”. It will bring up a new transaction with everything prefilled it’s the easiest way. You shouldn’t be doing anything like “going to the +20 transaction in the CC category and changing the category.” All that is handled for you.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

OK, here's an example, on a new budget I created (but some settings and such from my original budget moved over, so I'm blacking that all out).

In this budget, I have created a $20 CC transaction for "Hobbies", and paid it off via a checking transfer to the CC. Here's what those actions look like:

CC: The $20 hobby payment and the transaction from Checking to the CC to pay it off:

Checking: The $20 payment to the CC

Now here's my budget... both the CC Payment and Hobbies categories ask me to move $20 into each.

If I just click on those two categories and add 20 to each, my 'Ready To Assign' goes down by 40 I believe, which is not what I want. I get moving 20 into Hobbies, to represent that I spent 20 on hobbies. I also sorta understand the CC Payment category, in that it is asking me to pay off my CC by a certain date, and any transaction on the CC, left unpaid, builds extra debt, and therefore needs to be covered to keep everything on track. But things just don't add up right.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
You’ve blocked out the amount values that matter so it’s not really clear what’s happening.

and paid it off via a checking transfer to the CC.
Just to be clear when you say this, you actually paid $20 to the credit card company? Like you went into your cc app and did a payment transfer for $20?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
Add another $20 to your hobbies budget. You are spending more money than you have allocated to your budget. It's a weird design that they do but it's on purpose.

edit: to try to explain further - when you overspend a category YNAB shows it as red. However, since you did the spending on your CC the overspend shows up there and not in the category. It's annoying but it's because ynab automatically reallocates your budget spend to the cc "budget" to reflect you are spending money you don't have on your cc. If you had two credit cards, the red negative would show up on the one that has the last txn that pushes you over your budget.

edit 2: yet another reason why just using a chequing account called "visa" just makes more sense to many people. I get the ynab way but it's not intuitive at all and I don't blame people for opting to do it with a non-cc account. It would be nice if YNAB at least tracked interest and projected payoff dates for large balances with payment plans to justify the weirdness but they literally tell you to "just ballpark the interest based on prior months" :rolleyes:

Cold on a Cob fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 22, 2024

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I think I see what you mean -- by covering the 20 in the hobbies category, the -20 in the CC Payment category went away as well. I thought for sure I've seen it where covering the non-CC category still left the CC category in the negative, but maybe in those cases I didn't enter something in correctly?

Boris Galerkin posted:

Just to be clear when you say this, you actually paid $20 to the credit card company? Like you went into your cc app and did a payment transfer for $20?

To answer this, essentially yes. I used my CC to buy something, then went into my banking app to move 20 form checking to CC. Then once those transactions appear in YNAB, I attempt to properly categorize them to get them budgeted.

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011

Cold on a Cob posted:

It would be nice if YNAB at least tracked interest and projected payoff dates for large balances with payment plans to justify the weirdness but they literally tell you to "just ballpark the interest based on prior months" :rolleyes:

Even weirder because they track all of that with mortgage and auto loan accounts. But they don't bother doing that with credit cards. Maybe because of the timing on when charges hit the account can throw off the interest amounts?

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

It's synched for years now. Some banks take longer to import than others. My wife used to have a CC that would only import once a month and that sucked rear end.

Awesome that's great.

Will it automatically classify the purchases into their respective budgets? Like if I set a budget of $100 for groceries, do I have to go through regularly and tag every single purchase from a grocery store or can I configure it from the first import to detect and classify purchases from Store X to always be groceries?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Oysters Autobio posted:

Awesome that's great.

Will it automatically classify the purchases into their respective budgets? Like if I set a budget of $100 for groceries, do I have to go through regularly and tag every single purchase from a grocery store or can I configure it from the first import to detect and classify purchases from Store X to always be groceries?

I think when you set it manually once, it'll tag subsequent purchases from the same merchant as the same category.

Of course, Amazon transactions come through as "Amazon*F45766987F65FSF6DFSD" and "Amazon*SA9DF867SA90DF78SA90F7SA907GFASGAS07F087AF" so sometimes that confuses it.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Of course, Amazon transactions come through as "Amazon*F45766987F65FSF6DFSD" and "Amazon*SA9DF867SA90DF78SA90F7SA907GFASGAS07F087AF" so sometimes that confuses it.

In this case you can do a custom "contains" rule for AMZN, Amazon, etc.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Anyone higher?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
Mine is generally between 30 and 60 because after I have next month's budget fully funded the rest goes out of budget accounts into tracked accounts eg savings. It's still liquid and I can still transfer it back to chequing instantly if I need to.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Age of Money is the dumbest metric. It’s averages the “age” of money spent in your last 10 cash transactions or something stupid like that. If you pay everything on a card then your age of money makes no sense because the $420 you’ve charged on your card isn’t considered spent until you pay the bill.

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011
Unless you have the card set up as a cash account!

Age of money is still a bad metric, imo, and you should use the YNAB toolkit to get the old metric.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I wanna say that if you stopped adding more income and just spent from the account, then your age of money would also keep going up uP UP to the moon until you run out of money and then it goes to 0 days. This is because it checks the age against the last time you deposited cash. Or something stupid like that. So if the last time you deposited money was a year ago then your age of money is 1 year congrats. Even if that deposit was $1 and your total account balance is $1.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Theoretically, Age of Money is supposed to be the oldest deposit left over in all your accounts, after summing up all existing payments against said deposits, starting with the oldest going up to the newest. If it actually works that way, who the gently caress knows or cares. But if you care about such kind of metrics, use the YNAB Toolkit and its Days of Buffering metric instead, which weighs your average spending against what you have at hand. Which makes more sense.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
it's amazing how much better toolkit makes ynab and also lol every time there is an error/forced refresh in nynab they always make a point of blaming toolkit

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

What’s the YNAB4 equivalent of this Age of Money thing? I’m not trying to be all :smug: but am curious

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I think it's being a month(s) ahead. I thought they used to make a huge deal of that but I'm not really seeing much on their site about it now besides this: https://www.ynab.com/blog/the-one-month-buffer-down-dirty

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Just rename it to “days of positive cash flow” or something.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Harminoff posted:

Anyone higher?

:smug:

But I honestly have no idea what it even means or how it's calculated so it's a pointless metric. The real "metric" we use is how long we could survive if we both lost our income tomorrow, which we calculate in a spreadsheet every now and then.

e:

Combat Pretzel posted:

YNAB Toolkit and its Days of Buffering metric instead, which weighs your average spending against what you have at hand. Which makes more sense.

That sounds better, but not the "real" answer to what we want to know. Which is, given we both get fired/injured/whatever how long can we last given a specific sub-set of categories. For example, we don't need our personal discretionary funds to be as big as they are if we aren't earning and there are countless "optional" categories we would zero out. That's why we prefer to calculate it ourselves.

Xik fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Feb 13, 2024

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Xik posted:

:smug:

But I honestly have no idea what it even means or how it's calculated so it's a pointless metric.

I think it's just 'number of days you've maintained a positive balance.'

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The real metric of note is how cool your net worth graph looks

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
Is You Need A Budget still the best tool for getting personal budgeting up and running? I'm a little ashamed of this but my personal finance budgeting has always been very rudimentary, I am currently debt-free but I am also saving way less than I should be too.

Part of the issue is that I haven't been tracking my spending closely enough, so I figured that doing some kind of historical retrospective at how I've been spending over the past few months might help make some of the lowest-hanging fruits for improvement obvious, but it seems like YNAB is more forward-looking than backward? And maybe the backward look isn't a best practice, I'm not sure. Happy to hear advice, because the help of some kind of planning program seems easier than trying to do it myself in a spreadsheet and more responsible than continuing to wing it.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

YNAB got me out of debt and is now just a general tracking utility. I’d say if you start to use it you’d get a much better idea of where your money is going and be able to adjust from there. You can just start and treat it like you’re in debt and have out of control spending and see how it takes. Even small things like spending $100 less a month on eating out are manageable goals that’ll rack up considerably.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Ynab is for proscriptively deciding how you will spend each dollar - it's like the envelope system. The idea is that you have a number of envelopes with a certain amount of money in each of them each month. If the envelope is empty (you've already spent your hookers and blow money), you aren't allowed to purchase a thing (more blow or hookers) until you get more money or move it from a different envelope.

The problem with backwards looking budgeting is that by the time you see it in your "budget", the money is already spent, whether or not you could afford it

You should use ynab and commit to tracking all your spending. It's good.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Happiness Commando posted:

Ynab is for proscriptively deciding how you will spend each dollar - it's like the envelope system. The idea is that you have a number of envelopes with a certain amount of money in each of them each month. If the envelope is empty (you've already spent your hookers and blow money), you aren't allowed to purchase a thing (more blow or hookers) until you get more money or move it from a different envelope.

The problem with backwards looking budgeting is that by the time you see it in your "budget", the money is already spent, whether or not you could afford it

I just don't know how much exactly I should plan to be in my "groceries" or my "hookers and blow" envelopes yet. "Rent" and "utilities" are comparatively easy. But I guess maybe just do a month and see how it shakes out and adjust from there?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Yup pretty much. I’d watch the videos and such they are pretty good

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

gohuskies posted:

I just don't know how much exactly I should plan to be in my "groceries" or my "hookers and blow" envelopes yet. "Rent" and "utilities" are comparatively easy. But I guess maybe just do a month and see how it shakes out and adjust from there?

Yeah estimate and track, refine, repeat. It's a skill you'll learn over time and as time passes ynab can start offering up estimates as well. Fixed expenses are easier to estimate at the outset, so you can start with those and then estimate the variable ones.

If you put everything through a credit or debit card you can probably download old transaction exports from your bank and do some rough estimating that way as well to come up with starting numbers.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Happiness Commando posted:

You can’t really make a blanket statement like this. Lots of people manage to have a healthy budget and live within their means without needing to track every single dollar. YNAB was great for me earlier in my life, but nowadays I get much much much far less value out of it.

I’ve been playing around with lunch money lately. I upload a csv, classify it once, and the next csvs just work.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!

gohuskies posted:

If you're anything like me, you will always need way more for groceries than you think. Always.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

gohuskies posted:

Once you get a few months in you can just use the built in averages to fund it. Nothing is set in stone though, you can ALWAYS move stuff from envelope to envelope.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Boris Galerkin posted:

You can’t really make a blanket statement like this. Lots of people manage to have a healthy budget and live within their means without needing to track every single dollar. YNAB was great for me earlier in my life, but nowadays I get much much much far less value out of it.

I’ve been playing around with lunch money lately. I upload a csv, classify it once, and the next csvs just work.
In the ynab thread I most definitely can make blanket statements like 'you should track your spending' and 'ynab is good' if op is saying they don't track their spending and are wondering if ynab is good.

I'm not really sure what you think the platonic ideal response to this question is

quote:

I'm a little ashamed of this but my personal finance budgeting has always been very rudimentary, I am currently debt-free but I am also saving way less than I should be too.
(snip
Part of the issue is that I haven't been tracking my spending closely enough
(snip)
Happy to hear advice, because the help of some kind of planning program seems easier

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Do I *need* to track every single dollar in YNAB to keep my financial health? No.

Do I get immense pleasure from continuing to do so? Absofuckinglutely.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Omne posted:

Do I *need* to track every single dollar in YNAB to keep my financial health? No.

Do I get immense pleasure from continuing to do so? Absofuckinglutely.

ya same, it's my little weekend ritual with a cup of coffee :)

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

THIS GUY HAS A POOPY BOOM BOOM

HE NOT WARSHING HE HOLES LOL
Helped my partner get started on a budget. Realized they had a subscription to Planet Fitness bleeding money every month because they require you to go to the one you signed up at to cancel or write a loving snail mail letter. Should be illegal. Anyhow, we did that and celebrated by blasting “Save Dat Money” by Lil Dicky.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Holy gently caress, you can finally import Apple Card, Apple Cash, and Apple Savings accounts into YNAB. You have to set it up in the iOS app though, as I don't see it on the web app.

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

THIS GUY HAS A POOPY BOOM BOOM

HE NOT WARSHING HE HOLES LOL

Holy gently caress, you can finally import Apple Card, Apple Cash, and Apple Savings accounts into YNAB. You have to set it up in the iOS app though, as I don't see it on the web app.

I was way too excited about this today. 😆

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Bluh. I used to use YNAB4 back in the day and was considering the new one, but it's $15/month. Is that the best option still?

I'm funemployed with a decent budget, but it's time to get back on the train and it's yet another expense to justify.