Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Let it roll over. For example I budget $300 a month for vacation, but maybe take 2 or 3 total. If we go home to see our parents flights are about $700 for the two of us so we save accordingly in the months ahead. If i don't do that somehow I have to cut $400 out of my month to not over spend or take it out of savings. Same with my auto insurance that is paid once a year. I look at everything monthly and yearly.

I guess you could make separate saving categories so you don't touch the money. Also if you are always way under you might want to shift money out so you can put it to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

LogisticEarth posted:

Really, if he's in the US there's no reason to keep anything but his emergency cash fund in a savings account. Interest rates are hilariously low. I've heard they're higher in developing nations, so disregard if you actually get decent interest.

I am to the point where I just keep all my cash on hand in my checking at this point. So my 6 month emergency fund is in my checking, who cares, it was doing nothing for me in a savings account.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Old Fart posted:

My debit card was compromised a few months ago. They got $800. It was cleared up and credit back within a week, but still. That's a reason not to keep an emergency fund in checking.

Up here in Canada, we get 1% savings! Woohoo!

Who actually uses a debt card? Use credit for everything. If your information isn't out there it is hard to steal it. I suppose if they got the routing and account number but seems less likely.

You really can't be that paranoid about your money. Just setup account alerts on the checking and be done with it. Every transaction sends me a text. If it is fraudulent it takes 2 min to stop it and cancel the card or change account numbers.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I think you have everything covered but here are all my categories:

Home Expenses
Mortgage
Electricity
Water/Sewer/Trash
Cell Phone
Internet/TV
Lawn
Home Supplies
Maintenance
Improvements

Daily Living
Groceries
Personal Supplies
Clothing
Alcohol
Eating Out
Dry Cleaning
Salon

Student Loans
Aspire
Sallie Mae
ECSI
Great Lakes
Extra Pay

Entertainment
Videos
Music
Movies
Concerts
Books
Hobbies
Sports
Outdoor Recreation
Heather Spend
Parker Spend

Pets
Food
Medical
Litter

Transportation
Vehicle Payments
Fuel
Parking
Repairs
Registration

Subscriptions
Newspaper
Sat Radio

Insurance
Auto

Vacation
Travel
Lodging
Food
Rental Car
Entertainment

I don't break out my 401K and savings since I don't really see that money. Also taxes and insurance is rolled into the mortgage. This has satisfied me for the last 3 years.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

tuckfard posted:

Monthly Bills (listed in order of when they are due)
Car insurance

I would hate to pay this monthly. Also don't you get a nice discount for paying 6 months or a year at a time? I save about $100 by paying for the entire year at once.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

john mayer posted:

I buy a lot of stuff for my job that I get reimbursed on. What I do is have a reimbursement category. I'll budget for stuff I need to buy and count it against that. When I get paid back I set it as income directly into that category and release the funds in my budget when the check clears. That way my balance is always accurate.

I use a reimbursement category as well. It works out pretty well I think.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Royal W posted:

I'm just now starting to get into rule 4. I probably could have been there sooner, but instead, I have been dumping half of my checks into savings for the last 3 months. So, I have a really nice buffer/ oh poo poo/ fun money stash, but it's not reflecting in a buffer.
It's a nice feeling knowing that, if I keep up this pace, I can have 10,000 saved by new years (or my birthday). :unsmith:

You are already there, you just are storing the money in a savings account instead of checking if I am reading this right. This post really confuses me as how you are not already living rule 4.

My story is my wife works at a remote job site for the next 2.5 years. She had to front about $7000 getting an apartment and stuff for it. Since we are well into rule 4 plus money on top of that for a 2 month emergency fund we had no problem waiting to get reimbursed (still owed $4k). I don't know what someone would do if they were paycheck to paycheck, hopefully the company would front the money.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Old Fart posted:

That's what I did, too, also last August. It was a great decision.

If you think about it, Rule 4 is a month of emergency fund anyway.

Exactly. That was my point. Money is money as long as it is liquid and you have easy access to it.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Your savings are not really lower. Your money is just in different places.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

ilkhan posted:

People still carry cash?
Cash that comes out of a machine gets logged as a purchase to a misc income category, cash that gets spent doesn't need to be logged.

Usually I have to go get some so I can pay cover charge at some local show of $5 or $10. New years was open bar after cover, but you still have to to tip so it was a stack of ones. But usually I have no cash.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

SaltLick posted:

https://meundies.com/

they are the most comfortable underwear in the god drat world. step up your underwear game

I just dropped $20 on a pair so you better come through.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Bread Set Jettison posted:

You need a Buttget

If you are taking to me I have a good budget, it will come out of my $400 blow money, no worries. (Was ~$5600 in the black last month, so I think all is well)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

SaltLick posted:

drat I should have linked the referral and given 20% off

By far the best undies ever so thanks for that.