Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Rexim posted:

Oh hey, I just realized you can enter a transaction with a future date, without going through the scheduled transaction function. That's...mildly useful!

Yeah I use it to track bills!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

So I have a question. There is a category for debt, but how do I initialize it so that as I budget for it, I can see it being reduced? I have it done for credit card debt, but the other debts (hospital bills, therapy etc) aren't really a thing I would assume to make accounts for. So how do I add debt to my debt column?

Make accounts for those things, they're accounts. I don't think there's any other way to record them in YNAB*.

*The other way is to record a large purchase in a category like "medical bills" and have the arrow flip to the right, so that the balance is carried forward. Record interest as an expense in that category and budget money toward it as you would any other category. When you send money to the creditor, categorize it as a transaction in medical bills. The balance should move in a positive direction, but may not because this is a dumb way to do it.

But really, making it an account makes much more sense.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Nov 3, 2014

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Happiness Commando posted:

I use Mint to collect all my spending and then transfer from there into YNAB every week or two. What do I do about clearing and reconciliation? I've been having some problems with balances shifting over time, so I'm about to do a fresh start. I haven't been clearing or reconciling, so presumably I need to start.

Download and import transactions from your bank and reconcile that way. YNAB will match the transactions by date or value and you approve or reject each one, but your categories will stay.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Easychair Bootson posted:

I have a question about Rule 3. The idea is that you have flexibility in your budget, so if you have an unexpected expense that causes you to go over your budget in that category, you simply reassign money from other categories where you may have a little extra budgeted.

So the onus is on the budgeter to borrow responsibly, yes? It would be easy to borrow from savings instead of reducing the discretionary categories to cover it. Is it just a matter of priorities, and making certain categories off-limits except for dire emergencies?

Well, yeah. Certain things obviously shouldn't be borrowed from, like your phone bill. Other things, like your giant tire/car repair category, can probably be replenished by cutting other expenses next month. That's how we run it, anyway.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Easychair Bootson posted:

Yeah, I suspect some of these things will become clear after a couple of budget cycles. Such as, if you've got $50 left on your booze budget and you're getting paid tomorrow, do you carry that $50 through and budget that much less for the next period, or do you reassign that $50 to savings or something and then budget normally for the next period? Does it even matter?

Do you have a $150 booze month every 3 months, followed by 3 months of regret? Then I'd roll over the booze budget. If you have a hard cap on booze of $50 regardless of time without booze, then just let it roll over once it hits that amount.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

derekcooper posted:

I, for the life of me, cannot get the app (iphone 5) to work. Might be because it's jailbroken. I'm thinking about updating and trying again. Anyone else had this issue? It starts to open and then almost immediately force-quits.

I'm using it almost daily on an iPhone 5S on 8.1.1 and it's fine. Sounds like JBing is the issue, maybe try a backup and restore and see if it works, then re-jailbreak?

Also, maybe check the JB thread for anyone else with that problem?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

El Mero Mero posted:

the new app is good.

The new webapp... less so.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Speaking of nuYNAB, one of my credit card categories has a huge positive balance and I don’t know where it came from. What do I do with this? All the other cards I use have normal balances.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

rgocs posted:

Looking at the credit card category details doesn't hit at a transaction? Did you budget money on it?

No, looking back it’s just been going up as a balance since like, April 2018. It’s just a card I use for expenses and the balance autopays each month! I don’t even look at it as a budget line.

If I zero it out, poo poo is going to be all messed up too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

rgocs posted:

And are you manually registering the auto-payments in YNAB as they happen? Or is it syncing with the bank?

I correct the synced transfers by entering them as a transfer and then matching the transactions.