Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

YNAB4 is now free for college students, spread the word!

https://www.youneedabudget.com/blog/post/ynab-is-now-free-for-college-students

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Can anyone with YNAB4 tell me how they handle their mortgage/home value? I just forked over $3k as earnest money towards a home purchase and I am not really sure what I should do with it. Assuming eveything goes as planned and I make it to closing, I won't actually have the mortgage for another month. I guess once I get it, I can keep it as an off-budget account that I'm paying down, but I also like being able to track my net worth. :ohdear:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I just zillow'ed my house once a month and did a manual balance adjustment on the off-budget account.
My mortgage came out of a mortgage budget line item. I didn't bother tracking interest and poo poo. Although probably possible, that sounds not good to do in YNAB.

Yeah I think this is the approach I'll probably go for. Easy enough and gives me at least a rough idea of where I stand with everything. I know YNAB isn't really for personal finance but I do essentially this same process with my student loans. Gives me a certain peace of mind and also keeps all my money poo poo in one place.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

YNAB4 is great, it has honestly changed my life, and I will continue using it for as long as I am capable. nYNAB might be great too, I never actually tried it out, but paying a subscription fee for a budgeting app feels like the complete antithesis of the core philosophy of what YNAB stands (stood?) for that I don't think I could ever bring myself to subscribe.

Not a knock against those who do, I just hate it and wish they didn't do it. But I guess :capitalism:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Question for you all, do you include Alcohol in your "food" budget or is it in like a "Fun" budget? I was FOREVER having it in my food budget. I moved it to a "social life" catagory group because it made more sense there. For reference my Food Budget group is Groceries, Restaurants, Coffee, and cafeteria (for eating at work because those transactions felt weird in "restaurants").

I buy a lot of beer, and I have a separate Beer budget. Packaged beer and pints at breweries goes here. I also have Groceries and Restaurants categories. There is also my Spending Money category which is basically the fun money fund, sometimes beer purchases will spill over into this if a brewery I like is doing a big release or something.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

You can pry YNAB4 from my cold, dead hands.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

FWIW I've got a Google phone with the latest Android version and I don't get any kind of error messages when opening the YNAB Android app.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I've got data going back to Jan 1, 2015 in my YNAB4 and I'll probably never do a fresh start. Love seeing that net worth graph going up, and every now and then I have a need to look up a transaction from years back.

Spent much of my morning so far sipping tea and reconciling all my accounts. So satisfying to update the balance of off-budget retirement accounts with a year of market gains. And apparently they're already depositing the $600 stimulus checks.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I thought their previous monthly rate was insane but $14.99/mo is more than any other subscription I have. That seems real lovely!!

Ah, nevertheless

Sirotan posted:

You can pry YNAB4 from my cold, dead hands.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I am two months ahead in YNAB with a bit more I leave floating and available to budget, and also keep an 'Emergency Fund' category which is essentially the "oh poo poo something truly unexpected came up" or the "oh man I really want to impulse buy this thing" fund. I like to give every dollar a job but I am in a position to not need to use YNAB to keep me strictly following my budget. I am fine with, and in fact take some amount of pleasure in manually entering all my transactions. I've got retirement accounts and my estimated house value as reported in Zillow along with my mortgage to give me a ball park net worth, and I probably mostly use YNAB these days because I like to watch the number go up. :shobon:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

This AMA is a great example of how to not communicate to your customers.

YNAB CEO posted:

>Why did the increase have to be so sudden and implemented so fast? If you’re in any sort of financial problem

This is a great question. I'm going to do my best and be as specific as I can. YNAB is a healthy business and at the same time was a little late with this change. When we raised prices in 2017, we would have been on track to *consider* them again in the spring of 2020. But obviously, given what the spring of 2020 was in the world, we set that aside, and did so essentially for the last 18 months. That meant when we returned to consider it...YNAB is healthy, but also late on addressing this need.

A Reddit user posted:

So you've known for a year and a half and STILL only gave one month's notice?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I love this one. Someone asks if there are plans to reevaluate the price jump for legacy users:

YNAB CEO posted:

I want to be direct here: There are not plans to reconsider it. Yes, it absolutely would have been better to announce this with much more notice.

As far the big jump happening now, we kept the price for the same as long as we could, and probably, in all sincerity, too long.

Legacy users: you're lucky we didn't jack up your price sooner

This guy is very bad at this.

Edit: he's deleting his comments now lmao

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Nov 5, 2021

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I have to fairly frequently clear the cache and data from my (Android) YNAB4 app and resync it with the budget data in Dropbox. I would try that as a first step.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

greazeball posted:

I think people would be rightly wary of inviting advertisers onto a website with personally curated lists of financial transactions

Credit Karma seems to be doing pretty good.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

This feels like a dumb question but I am not sure how to deal with this situation in YNAB4: I am about to redo my kitchen, and to do so have taken out a HELOC and also have a 0% APR credit card. Depending on the source of the expense, I may use one or the other to pay for things (contractors who don't take credit cards will go on the HELOC, etc). I've already added the HELOC as an off-budget account, and added a monthly item to the budget as 'HELOC payment'. This is straightforward. But I am not sure what to do about the 0% APR card. It is 0% for 18 months so I will be treating it like another loan and just paying the minimums for a while, and at the end of the 18 months will either have it completely paid off, or would transfer the balance over to my HELOC. How do I deal with this?

For example, let's say my "kitchen remodel" category item currently has $1000 in it, but this weekend I went to Ikea and ordered my countertops which were $2000 and put it on the 0% APR card. Do I assign the purchase to "kitchen remodel" which would then go negative? Or should I add the card as an off-budget item just like the HELOC and just add another category for the monthly payment?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Shats Basoon posted:

I would add the CC in as a regular credit card and then I'd have the HELOC and CC as separate sub-categories under the kitchen remodel and allocate the countertops to the kitchen remodel-CC category. YNAB will pull money from the credit card to cover your overspending and then you can set a target date to pay off the CC by the time the promo APR ends so you know how much to allocate. You should have a general idea of what you are going to spend on the kitchen already anyway. I suppose you could also add it is a linked loan too. I'd just make sure the spend gets properly linked back to the kitchen remodel.

With an unlinked, off-budget account I'd be worried of temptation to spend more on the credit card and coming to the incorrect assumption that you are on track or under budget on the kitchen remodel.

AFAIK I can't do most of the things you describe with YNAB4, I also don't know how much is going to be put on the credit card at this point (still in the process of getting quotes from trades). I am not particularly worried about overspending, I am just trying to figure out a sane way of recording it all since I've never carried a balance on a credit card since using YNAB and there will likely be balance transfer shenanigans happening to minimize the amount of interest I am paying on the whole project. Maybe it makes more sense to have both the card and HELOC on budget and just have one category perpetually in the red until it all gets paid off. I've got my mortgage as an off-budget item which is why I kinda defaulted to doing it that way at first.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I think it's being a month(s) ahead. I thought they used to make a huge deal of that but I'm not really seeing much on their site about it now besides this: https://www.ynab.com/blog/the-one-month-buffer-down-dirty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Boris Galerkin posted:

If it works for you it works for you but what even is stuff like this? I really don't get it cause in my mind you're either spending it on food, drinks, or entertainment or shopping. Why does pocket change need to be its own category? I feel like having so many categories with so many misc stuff is a waste of time but hey, if it works for you then that's all that matters I guess.

I do this for cash withdrawals whenever I hit the ATM (which is rare) since I barely ever use cash, and it is usually so I can pay cash at places like family owned restaurants or when I need to spend a dollar or two on something random that it isn't worth the time to track.

Edit: and it appears I have 36 categories