Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Got a dumb little problem and I'm not sure what to do

I got my bank statement today, so I go to reconcile my account. For simplicity's sake, let's say there's currently $1000 in my checking account, and my YNAB log matches that $1000, but my statement says $1030 and I can't find the $30 transaction(s) that hadn't cleared.

What's the best way to sort this out? I've double checked my statement like four times trying to find transactions that maybe I didn't put in YNAB or something but everything adds up fine, so no matter what I do, I'll have to gently caress up my current balance to get the reconciliation to add up, right?

:saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

But it's not $30, because my account is balanced. It's just the reconciliation that's screwed. So if I balance it, my account will say I have $30 that I don't!

E: I could just do two balance adjustments but that seems silly

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

How did I not know abut the GPS thing this is rad as heck

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Question re: getting to rule 4

I'm pretty good about budget amounts. I budget $230 for gas, I spend $220. Budget $300 for groceries, hit about $290. Budget $500 to go into my various rainy day funds etc and everything's cool.

Should I be throwing an extra X% into my regular categories so I'm eventually actually pulling out of the previous months excess? I'm totally doing this wrong, I think.

e: also the iPad app has a sweet feature where if you overspend in a category and tap on the overspend, it asks you what category you want to move budget from, rather than the desktop app which gives you options of "remove from next months available to budget"

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Found the video for rule 4 setting up a hidden buffer category etc etc and I now understand what I was doing wrong.

Got it all sorted out now. Thanks.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

I get a sweet bonus from work every ~March. Boom. Rule four taken care of.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

If you've got it on budget, then yeah, budget the amount and (optional) move it into the savings account.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Ugh.

Two weddings, a job search, paying security deposit + two extra months rent, and at least a dozen 300 mile trips in my car have destroyed my loving budget this month.

A pile of it went onto a credit card and I could put some rolling debt categories in but I think it's just going to be easier to scrap everything and start over.

All my expenses are going to be way different starting next month anyway, between new job and splitting costs with a roommate. :sigh:

e:
Actually, I might have sorted this out .... reasonably?

So things I threw on my credit card went into a rolling debt category (even if they applied to other categories)
And There's a $550 rolling balance on 'moving' because I should be receiving the full security deposit back from my current place, offsetting a good chunk of the $625 I'm putting down for security at the new place.

Someone tell me if/why this is dumb

Sockser fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jun 25, 2015

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Something that's helped me stay on top of transactions is just always rounding up so if I grab some fast food I can just remember '$9.00' and enter it when I get in my car vs saying 'poo poo was it $8.25 or $8.45?!' And the. Deciding to wait until it showed up online and then forgetting.

At the end of the month I take the reconciliation difference straight into savings. Usually works out to like $35-$40.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Question:
I got a new job and with it I got a neat little "sign on" bonus that needs to be repaid if I leave the company in under a time threshold.

So basically let's say I've got $1000 that I want to pretend doesn't exist. What's the best way to do this? I created a budget item for it so its disappeared from my budget but it's still in my account and affecting my net worth and reconciliations.

I've considered putting it in a separate brand new savings account until I hit that time threshold but I'm not sure what the best course of action is.

Help.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

I look at my balance simply because it's nice to see my net worth slowly get less negative as my student loans go away.

Currently have a hidden "DONT TOUCH THIS" category but eeeeh I don't want to remember this money exists.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Karthe posted:

And now it's my turn for a question. It's the first of the month, which means it's time to address some overspending. How do you guys handle it? Do you siphon out excess from the categories that have them, then apply it to the categories you might have overspent?

I like to do this. The iPad app actually does it automatically, which I wish was a feature in the desktop app.

Although I've become a bit more accepting of the fact that it's going to happen, so I just have a MASTER FOOD CATEGORY that gets $500 budgeted to it for the month, and then I subtract dollars from it and put into Fast Food/Restaurants/Groceries as it happens.

Also for August I've just gone and added a straight up "FLEX" category and given it $200 to subtract from when I inevitably go over-budget on something. We'll see how that goes.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

dreesemonkey posted:

Well I'm feeling rather pleased with myself. Now I just need to think of more things that I want to examine.

Looking at this, a question

I budget, let's say, $300 for groceries every month, and I have a $200 overflow budget every month so if I spend $320 on groceries I just knock a $20 off the overflow, so at the end of the month everything is nice and zeroed out.

Would it be better to just leave that 200 I budgeted and let overspending happen? I mean I guess it's always "what works for you works for you" but would there be an advantage to doing things that way?

E: also how hard is the ynab format to parse? Could probably do some neat poo poo with all that data. Or at least use sublime to take care of some nonsense real quick and fix some issues that I've been too lazy to sort out.

Sockser fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 23, 2015

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

I'd been wondering when the hell a new version was coming out. YNAB4 has been in service for like, three years now?

Lots of stuff I wish I could do and moving to online only will probably help with that.

And making the mobile app more like the tablet app.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Your budget already is in the cloud, that's how YNAB4 works. It's just that the app is going to run from a website now, too.

I'll have to see what the monthly cost is before I upgrade. Doesn't look like there's anything 'killer' in there, like sub-categories.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Chin Strap posted:

I don't see how sub categories are killer? You can already have multiple different master categories with categories inside there. Isn't that enough?

I want cloud because I'm often wanting to update my budget while not at a windows or mac computer. Most of my interaction with YNAB is through a remote desktop session to my home PC.

Sub categories as in breaking down categories but not specifically budgeting them. Like I have a drinking budget that includes bars and also includes going to the liquor store. Being able to specify those two as sub-categories of 'booze' and having them subtract from the booze balance instead of putting everything together would be cool.

Or like, I don't spend much on clothing, so when I do it just goes under 'misc' but it would be cool to sub-cat it so I could keep track of it more effectively without having to go in and readjust my budget for it.

I'm a programmer, maybe I'll just make my own app.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

I did the official ynab method of putting like, $400 into a 'rule 4 buffer' category every month and then saying gently caress it and drawing down the remaining chunk from my savings or my emergency fund or something because everything just gets so much loving easier.

To be fair, it took me a long time to actually understand what the hell rule 4 was, for some reason. It's a simple concept but the language just made it not make sense. I though it was just having extra money in each category balance, for some reason

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Hooking directly into banking APIs and doing what Mint, etc do is a nice feature, probably, but I always round up my transactions, so I'd just end up with a million extra transactions hanging out in my register.

Also, throwing another monthly expense (even if it is only like $5 or whatever) is not too bueno with me. I'd rather take the upfront hit.

Trial launches tomorrow, we'll see how it goes, eh?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

SpaceCadetBob posted:

I do however agree with the above point about the auto-sync of bank data to be a huge crutch and an unfortunate development. Sitting down every month and going through all your statements and reconciling gives a person a ton of understanding over their finances. However I'm sure they weighed that against how many people were getting to that first reconcile sitdown, and then just giving up 30 minutes later out of frustration and dropping out all together.

A big thing for me was doing reconciliations every week instead of every month. It's much easier to identify the one Wawa trip I missed this week than the five Wawa trips I missed this month, which would lead to me just giving up and coming back in a few months.

Rounding up every transaction helped me stay on top of putting them in, as well.

If the bank import allowed me to round up so my transactions matched that'd be awesome as hell.

I'm a software developer, maybe I should just write my own drat app.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Having set up my budget in nYNAB and poked around at everything, I'm thinking I may stick with YNAB4 for a few months until nYNAB has all the features I like from the old app.

E: What the gently caress is with credit cards? How is this supposed to work? I had a balance of $40, and today I made two purchases for $270, totalling $310 balance on the card. These purchases show up under the Card's 'Credit Card Payments' category for spending, and now I have a 270 positive balance for the category? Did I do something wrong? What the gently caress is this?

e2: Okay so it's green because those purchases were made under other budget categories, I've done $270 of spending, and that's how much I'll need to pay it off, right? Does it just not account for the balance that it started with? It is not suggesting that I take care of that $40.
e3: I put in $40 as my budgeted amount and now I guess it lines up? gently caress it, back to YNAB4.

Sockser fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jan 2, 2016

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Just got my first paycheck of the year :toot:

But next months money doesn't exist. I just have $x to budget.

But if I do next months budget, I'll be one paycheck in the red.

How the hell are you supposed to do rule 4 now??

E: if you do a quick budget while you have an outstanding balance on a credit card, it'll copy that over to the next month and just gently caress everything up.

"If you pay 207.74, your account balance will be +103.87"

Uhhhh thanks nYNAB?

Sockser fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jan 9, 2016

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

SaltLick posted:

You put your next paycheck you get this month into next month if all your bills are paid for this month. Once you actually receive it of course. Slowly but surely you'll hit step 4. More like a step 3.5 as you wait to fill an entire month ahead

TheCenturion posted:

You put some excess every cheque into a buffer category. One you have enough, you unbudget all that buffer and use it to budget your bills. Then your paycheques get input as income for next month.

Keep putting some excess into an emergency fund, and a slush fund.

tyler is a joke posted:

I'm not sure I'm clear on what you're asking, but YNAB doesn't do future budgeting. If you want to write up next's month's budget but don't have money to cover it, you will be in the red. You only budget what you have. Once you start having excess money (i.e. your cash on hand covers more than your current month expenses) you can start budgeting ahead with that cash.

One day, I'll be there.

My question isn't how to do rule 4 (I'm rule 4 as gently caress) it's how to do it in nYNAB.

I got a check for $2000. In ynab4 if categorize it as "income: available next month" and that would be that, I'd worry about it at the end of the month.

In nYNAB all income is just "to be budgeted," so it shows up as income for Now, so I now have $2000 to budget.

And I can't budget February yet because I have a $4000 budget.

So do I just like... Leave that money unallocated until February? I don't like how ynab is throwing it in my face that I have money to spend right now (I don't, that February's money) but at the same time won't let me enter future transactions (the gas bill and rent is as good as paid, you jerk)

I can budget February with $4000 now, and that shows a '2000 budgeted in future' in January, but that's not right because I just budgeted 4000 (2000 I have and 2000 I don't)

Someone explain to me what the new process for this is, it's killing me and I'm probably overthinking it.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

The red arrow should only exist for debt prior to starting ynab or debt that has not been budgeted for.

In old ynab I had a category for when people owed me money. When they pair me heck, rather than adding income, I would add the money as a positive inflow for the category.

In your case since it's a credit card, it may make more sense to inflow it to your cash account or your checking, as the case may be, add a transfer to the cc, and then add the income to the credit cards budget line.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Some of the scripts nYNAB needs to login and stuff got blocked at work as of today, so there goes my daily reconciliation :sigh:

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

If you make a purchase on a credit account, it automatically goes in those categories. When you make a payment, it subtracts it.

It's weird when you have no credit balances, but I'm sure it's super helpful for people with a load of credit debt.

In theory, in your instance, you have an $85 balance on the card. Or you hosed something up.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Not in nYNAB it's not. Every cc transaction goes into that line.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Abandon hope of being able to sync the account.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

I wish I had imported my ynab4 data so I actually knew how old my money is. Watching it tick up day by day is arduous.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

My age of money appears to have finally topped out at 55 days, and ynab toolkit is telling me I've got 52 days before I run out of money.

Cool. That's pretty good, I guess. I've spent a shitload of money this month, between booking a vacation and spending a pile of tax return money and making some extra loan payments so that'll probably go up but I can live with two months.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Alright so
1. Your savings account is still money that's available, it's just sitting somewhere else, so moving it from one account to the other doesn't actually mean anything with respect to your budget. What you want to do is budget a certain amount towards a 'savings' category. If, after that, you want to move that money to your actual savings account, you can do that. But the amount in your running 'savings' budget is what your savings is, not what's in your account.

Shorter answer: money budgeted doesn't mean money spent. Budget x to it every month and the positive category balance will carry over.

Alternately (don't do this) move your savings account to off-budget (don't do this)

2. Because it's every other month, and you apparently have some savings, just front load it. Budget your actual bill amount this month. Next month the regular avg bill/2 amount, and then come may's budget you'll have enough for the bill plus maybe some buffer.

Sockser fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 14, 2016

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

It's okay, it's a little weird starting out.

When you say ', if I complete all my savings budget lines, my YNAB bank balance will reduce to that amount and will no longer match my actual bank account balance.'

That's where you're doing something wrong.

I'm going to do some dumb example budgeting here, bear with me

You're starting fresh, you have $10,000. 2000 of it goes into this months expenses:
600 for rent
100 for utilities
300 for groceries
Etc

When you go to the grocery store and spend $75 on groceries, you enter that as an outflow in the groceries category

In addition to all that, you're going to put the remaining $8000 into your savings category, so your budget looks like

600 rent
100 utilities
300 groceries
8000 savings

And then you don't enter an outflow for your savings category. You budget that amount and it removes it from the amount you have available to budget. Next month you budget another $500 into the category (again with no actual outflow) and now there's $8500 budgeted for savings, and again no outflow. You're not 'spending' that money, you're just sequestering it away in a bucket

I can put together an actual example in Ynab if you're still confused

E: something that might help: pretend you don't have a separate account for your savings. You're not transferring money anywhere, it's just a pile of money with a label on it in your checking account

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Enfys posted:

I'm still confused, so an example might help.

Currently, when I open YNAB, I have a list of a couple accounts and their balances on the left under the "Budget Accounts" bit. The balances on those accounts match what I see when I log into my bank account and see the actual balances of those accounts there. I'm just trying out the software and haven't really done much actual budgeting before, but I thought that the balances were supposed to match, and if they don't, then you have missed something or done something wrong. If I complete the current month's budget categories, then those balances no longer match as YNAB says that they have less than my bank account actually has in it.

I think where you're hung up is savings. Here goes a lovely example budget I did in ten minutes (in hindsight it would've made more sense to do Feb/Mar rather than Mar/Apr, but whatever)

Here's your accounts:

Hooray, you've got a hefty chunk of savings!

Here's your budget for March and April (I realize after uploading that I overbudgeted March, pretend you're better than I am at adding numbers together)

Down at the bottom is your savings. 8000 of that is what you had before, and you're tucking away $400 from your paycheck this month, leading to a category 'balance' of 8400. Next month you'll do the same but you can only scrape $325, to a category balance of $8725. This matches your savings account balance, but it doesn't need to. You could totally keep some of that money in your checking account if you want. It's not doing anything, you've just earmarked it as 'money that I'm saving' Notice how there's no outflows in the savings category. That's because, like I said, no money is being spent. It's just chilling until you someday want it, at which point you'd either enter an outflow from the savings category, or budget a negative amount in the category to make it available to spend.

And here's an actual transaction register for both account in case you need that, too:

NOTICE: There's no category on transfers because it's not spending. You only categorize spending.

If you're still having problems after this, you might need to actually post your budget or something

e:

Enfys posted:

I don't quite understand the savings category - where am I saying that money is going?

Just cuaght this snippet. You're not saying the savings money is going anywhere, because it isn't. YNAB doesn't care what account your money sits in. You just budget money for it and don't do any outflows. You keep saying 'complete the budget' and I have no idea what that means. I think you're forcing it to spend your savings. Don't do that.

example of what I think you're doing:

Don't do that. Enter the line in the budget screen and leave it alone at that point.

e2: I also illustrated how to do your utilities every other month, in case you're still having issues there

Sockser fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Mar 18, 2016

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Dustoph posted:

Or the worst. I think I need to graduate to something else at this point. I budget monthly, but get paid biweekly. This doesn't work too great with YNAB when I'm well beyond step 4. I mean, I guess I could do something like reduce my monthly Roth IRA allocations to match 2 paychecks per month, and toss those 3rd paychecks completely in there when I get them. Maybe that's the easiest solution since I like the envelope system to help me keep my spending in check.

Just treat the third paycheck like a bonus, stash it in your savings or make an extra car payment or whatever, it's like having free money and it's awesome.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

I've just started sucking up the cost and then accepting repayment as income in a later month but then I lose the ability to keep track of which of my shithead friends owe me money.

They should just add another category for it like credit cards or something.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

My net worth is going up but my age of money is stagnant and I don't really get it

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

You can either budget next month (if you're waiting on say, a second paycheck for that month you'll be sort of overspent in the future for now) or if you're hung up on ynab past, make a holding category and just sort of push and pull money in and out of there every month

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Or go back to ol faithful 'this month' and 'next month'

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

IAmKale posted:

Is there a way to immediately register a scheduled transaction in nYNAB? For example, I have scheduled items for the two paychecks I receive every month, but since the 10th is on a weekend one's arrived today. I know YNAB4 had the option to "register now" but I can't seem to find it in nYNAB.

1. Quickest way for your scenario is to just adjust the day on the schedule, which is actually what's happening anyway, right?
2. I've just entered all of my recurring bills to go in on the 1st of the month so my balance is always technically accurate. Just means I have to deal with a transaction for my rent hanging out for three weeks

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

I managed to gently caress up one of my credit cards in ynab and it thinks the balance is 0 but the available amount in the budget category is -130, which implies it thinks there's a positive balance? I guess?

I had the account balanced out to 0 with spending and payments in April, so I definitely hosed up something this month but I'm not sure what, since if I take all the transactions on paper, out=in

However, I did delete a reconciled transaction in that account. Possible I found a bug, I suppose. Unless any of you kind folk have a decent explanation on what happened. I can provide the straight up transaction log if that would be helpful.

In either case, I'm just going to take the $130 hit to my budget, I guess.

E: all of my individual category balances are either 0 or positive so it's not that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Defenestration posted:

Did you have a double entry for a transfer?

I do not, but I've done some detective work and I'm still very confused.

The account in question is my Amazon credit card, which currently, IRL and in YNAB, has a balance of 0

For fun, I made a second credit account and called it Foo. I did a bunch of playing around, but right now what's important is there is one transaction that I moved from the Amazon account to the fake Foo account, a payment from my checking for $384.63

Therefore, balance-wise:
Amazon: -384.63
Foo: +384.63

Credit card section of budget:
Amazon: 384.63
Foo: -384.63

This all makes perfect sense. Everything is cool and great and fine. Now suppose I move that payment from Foo to the Amazon account.

Balance:
Amazon: 0
Foo: 0

Budget:
Amazon: -124.31
Foo: 0

I should go post this on the YNAB forums or something

E: I deleted the payment and re-added it, and now everything is fine. Definitely a bug then.