Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Suspicious Lump posted:

Can people critique my budget categories? I'm wondering how specific I should get for everyday expenses. Should I have a different category for eating out/market food/cash on hand vs restaurants/incidentals?
Categories that I'm using that I don't see in your list:
Car Registration
Parking
Online Services (that are not your ISP like web hosting for a blog or email, MMORPG subscription, MyFICO, Spotify/Grooveshark/Pandora, etc.)
Software Purchases (Steam, Amazon, Play Store/App store purchases, etc.)
Books (I use this for regular books and Kindle purchases)
Tax Preparation
Fees and Penalties (when you pull $20 from the ATM when you're out someplace, split the transaction. Put $20 in your cash account, and the $2.50 service fee in this category)

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

spwrozek posted:

I would hate to pay this monthly. Also don't you get a nice discount for paying 6 months or a year at a time? I save about $100 by paying for the entire year at once.
Depends on the company, mostly.
I've got a (drat) good rate on 100/300/100 insurance, plus equal coverage with self-protection for the motorcycle (I went to my agent and said, "If someone without insurance SMIDSY/Left-Turns in front of me, and I leave the intersection in a helicopter, I want to be covered" - so that's what she got me for coverage the bike.), and the difference between paying semi-annually and monthly is a $2/mo. charge.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

LogisticEarth posted:

Same here, I have both our cars, plus renter's insurance through State Farm. The monthly charge was about the same rate, $1-2, with it directly drawing from my checking account. Having it monthly, easier to track, and no physical bills to worry about is worth the convenience fee in my opinion.
'Sup, State Farm buddy! :dap:

I forgot to include everything - also 2 cars, renter's and motorcycle in the same bundle. I was with Farmer's for years, but State Farm was able to get the Mini Cooper AND the M3 on the policy for $12/mo. less than I was paying Farmer's for just the M3.

YNAB chat: selecting the right budget when I'm on my phone is irritating. It never seems to match the values that are in the desktop client, even when I've removed every other budget from my Dropbox Folder...

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

It's not really forecasting if you're allocating money you already have though, technically!
They cover this pretty clearly in one of the live classes.

It's effectively the "what if I only get paid sporadically" Self-Employment (or Elementary Schoolteacher Who Gets Paid Wages For The Whole Summer In Mid June) scenario.
We'll go with a teacher being paid US Median Income-ish ($36,000/year gross, 30% taxes) who needs to budget for the summer.

1. You get paid a lump sum ($6300 net) for June, July, and August. Your next paycheck is 1 September.
2. You enter this entire thing as an inflow when you get paid on 1 June as Income for June.
3. Budget to zero ($2100) for June.
4. Create a "Deferred Income" category.
5. Budget $4200 in the Deferred Income category in June.
6. In July, budget -$2100 in the Future Income Category. This sets your July Available to Budget figure to $2100 and your August Future Income category is $2100. (see where this is going?)
7. Budget to zero for July.
8. In August, budget -$2100 in the Future Income Category. This sets your August Available to Budget figure to $2100 and your September Future Income category to $0.
9. 1 September, you get paid $2100.

If the poo poo hits the fan, and you need to tap into your 6 month emergency reserve, you'd follow the same process.
If you've got 6 months income in your emergency reserve, you'd start by putting $12,500 in your Deferred Income category, then budget out monthly from there.

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Mar 5, 2014

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

JibbaJabberwocky posted:

So I want this thing, however I can't afford it unless it goes on super Steam Sale. Anyone know when that might be?
This isn't directed at you, necessarily - since you're a student - but it is directed at anyone else who might happen upon this in the future.

I am a Case Study for YNAB.
In February 2013, I paid $68 in overdraft fees to my bank. While this didn't happen EVERY month, it wasn't uncommon.
In March 2013, I bought YNAB at :ohdear: FULL PRICE.
As of March 2014, I have been able to pay off $8958 in debt (paying off 4 of 5 credit cards in the process), $3000 to put down on a car, and have $1600 (one paycheck) in Buffer.
Spending $60 saved $13,558.

Don't tell me you can't afford $60 because you're living paycheck to paycheck, or are 'poor'.
Household Income for 2012 was pushing $100k pretty hard, and STILL living paycheck to paycheck - overdrafts and overlimit fees, late fees - wondering where the gently caress all the money was going.
You can't afford NOT to spend $60.

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 7, 2014