Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
No it's showing you overbudget because of the overspending from last month, since by default it takes it out of this month's available to budget, instead of carrying it forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
your net worth may also be down in September because you haven't gotten all the income you're gonna get this month yet.

Remember payments towards that debt are going to make your total net worth not change at all, you're just decreasing your assets to decrease your debt by an equal amount. If you're tracking the interest like you say that will also lose some net worth there since it's additional money being added to your debts.

Aside from that even though you're making big extra payments on your debt you still might be going down in net worth cause beyond that you're still spending more than you're bringing in, albeit much more slowly than you were? I can't really tell but keep it in mind. The decrease isn't bad, if you want to see some green arrows you gotta spend less and sock it away instead.

It ain't easy, honestly, but it's doable, I've been managing to do it since I started using YNAB July 2013.

poo poo I just looked and since then I've basically cut myself halfway out of the red, I started at -40k net worth and now I just got under -22k. :stare:

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 9, 2014

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I wish there were some graphs that looked at how much you're allocating to your budget categories instead of the outflows.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

Just a heads up, if you buy YNAB before Monday it's only $30 not $60. (Think this works when you buy a email or physical gift card from the store only, as the normal price still appears for me when you go to purchase a copy for yourself). Took the plunge as I've been intrigued for a while, and hoping it'll make the money back nice and quickly!
It's the steam sale now too so it might even be $15 on there soon.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Defenestration posted:

Is YNAB doable for an intelligent but rather fraught 50 something recent divorcee?

She specifically asked for "things to organize my life and my finances" for Christmas

(Also is it a monthly/yearly license or is it just an out and out purchase?)
Yes, and it's a one time purchase and you get a product key. The licence is basically "install on as many computers as you want for your own personal use"

The trial version is exactly the same as the full version, just limited to the 35 day trial until you put your key in. Otherwise it's identical, it's not even function limited.

I'd suggest set her up with the trial and teach her to use it and then if she likes it buy it for her as a gift. It's like a double gift.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I'd send a support email about it.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Why not just use the description field to keep track of how much you've put in?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
One time that happened to me and it turned out I had accidentally used an expired card and no one involved in the transaction had noticed.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Gripen5 posted:

I am probably going to just leave it there for now. I have a feeling its just hasn't been processed yet. I would imagine the restaurant still has it in their batch or whatever it is and haven't sent it out yet. Which is strange because you would think that a small hole in the wall restaurant in NYC wouldn't wait to charge things. Got bills to pay. It is strange though. Usually I at least get a "pending" status on transactions that haven't been fully processed. Don't remember this being a problem the only other time I went to the same place.
I deal with card processing through my job all the time and whether or not you get a pending transaction on a card depends on both your bank and how the processing is set up.

We have issues where our clients will have their poo poo go offline and not be proactive about getting it back online, so they'll end up caching weeks worth of transactions that all get processed all at once when it goes back online. A ton of people will then get pissed because they get a bunch of cleared transactions all at once and get overdrafts on their accounts, since they just went and spent the money they already spent but hadn't been taken yet.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Gripen5 posted:

Aren't those caches or batches, or whatever they are, where a lot of credit card number theft comes from? Seems like something they need to get in order.
No clue, it's never happened here. Our stuff is so locked down that someone would need physical access to the computers this stuff is running on to steal anything, and our units are set up usually in company break rooms, bolted down and locked shut.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
All my payees are things like grocery or gas or furniture or whatever. I only get specific when I am exchanging cash with my friends and family so I can remember who it was

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I track cash because it's mostly a large stack of cash every month that I give to my uncle for rent. I'll keep like 30 bucks on me usually cause there are a couple restaurants I go to now and then around here that are cash only. Change goes the ashtray in my car and I just round up.

I also just steal 5 bucks here and there from other categories as I'm spending and keep a wad of bills in my car for "emergencies" that I don't track.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Omne posted:

Let me talk this out and see if I'm crazy...

I bought something online. It went into my Discretionary budget, charged to my credit card. I then paid off the full balance of that card over the weekend. I am returning the item I bought. I know I will mark that as a "credit" on my credit card account, but I can't exactly put that money back into my discretionary budget, can I?
You can assign inflows to a budget category instead of as income. So yes.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I made a category for poo poo like gift cards and credit card cashback for that reason. So I make an inflow to the credit card account, assign it to that category, then just pull the money from that category and throw it somewhere else.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Teeter posted:

Anybody have some tips for reconciling?

YNAB only has options to filter by month and not a specific date so it never matches up with my credit card statement. Additionally, I enter many transactions right as they occur but their statement date is usually a day or two later. My current method is to sort by outflow and compare every dollar amount to see where things were missed but the inability to set YNAB to the same start/end date as my credit card is a little annoying.
You can search by date range by using the following format:

After:MM/DD/YYYY, Before:MM/DD/YYYY

Which will return all transactions between those two dates.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

zamin posted:

This is what I would do. That same category also takes care of interest from checking/saving and my tax refund the same way.

Yeah I mainly do it this way instead of setting it as income for x month because I want that to only show my actual income, and not all the other incidental inflows I get.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
It took me about four months. It would have been longer but I made up the difference with a chunk of my savings that I then replenished later.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I do the former. I just reconcile every month on the last day to account for interest on my student loan and changes in my 401k.

So, I've been using YNAB for two years now and well:

I attribute much of this to this dumb software.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I get my direct deposit into my checking account and I just transfer most of it once a month into savings minus what I need for my credit card spending and rent that I pay in cash every month. I just draw my one remaining student loan payment straight out of the savings account.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

greazeball posted:

My wife is going back to school and so we're looking at the next 12 months with just one income (which is variable) and trying to make a careful plan. We're using our YNAB budget categories to plan our outgoings in a spreadsheet, placing those next to probable incomes and account balances so we can see when the money will potentially run out.

Here's the trick, though: we've been using YNAB for about 18 months now and several of our categories have 0 budgeted each month because they're in surplus (new phones category is good, bike repair category is good, dental/medical budgets are filled up to our deductible, etc.). So if we take our monthly budget amounts and only include those in the spreadsheet, when we do spend from our unbudgeted categories it'll mess up our predictions. What's the best way to handle this?

Option A: we add up all the full categories that we aren't budgeting towards and subtract them from our current account balance in our spreadsheet and make a new "account" there. Then we'll have to remember to assign outgoings to the different accounts when we reconcile the spreadsheet with YNAB.

Option B: I go into the budget and remove all extra funds from every category and then build a budget including everything again. This would mean that certain categories like Christmas are way underfunded whereas now we've got a grand already saved in that category. I think our budget would look terrible again, like it was when we were just starting and every few months we had a quarterly/semi-annual payment due and our numbers were all off. But it would be easy to reconcile outgoings with our spreadsheet.

Option C, D, E: ???

What would you guys do?
I'd take those categories and figure out how much on average you would have needed to budget into those per month if you hadn't filled them out to max already and then budget for that going forward.

So if you dumped like 600 into a category at the beginning of the year you could consider that as needing $60 a month coming into October if you had split that up over the ten months instead.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I'd really like some sort of excel spreadsheet or app that can take an exported YNAB csv file and generate a bunch more neat looking reports from it. But hell if I can barely figure out how to use VLOOKUP.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

dreesemonkey posted:

Well I'm feeling rather pleased with myself. Now I just need to think of more things that I want to examine.

:shittypop:

I'd really like a report that shows monthly and average amounts budgeted per category so I can compare it to the income/expense one that YNAB already has.

And one with a graph much like the net worth report in YNAB that I can look at the balance of any category over time, for stuff like my savings categories that grow month-to-month, but rarely get spent out of.

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 23, 2015

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
there's a secret keyboard shortcut that can compress down your YNAB budget folder and consolidate all the thousands of .diff files that's in there, that can help the budget load much faster on older budget files, and reduce the size of that folder.

It is CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+C

I believe it won't let you load prior versions of the budget before you do that though, so definitely back up your folder before doing it.

Took my folder from 63 MB down to 7.8 MB and cut the number of files from like 8k to 80

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Oct 28, 2015

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I just really can't justify unlimited recurring costs to myself though. If they ever offer a lifetime subscription I might spring for it but I cannot have an open-ended subscription for something like this where if I stop paying I lose access, it just ain't happening.

It's a psychological thing for me.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Yeah man I'm looking at this now and this big blank screen is bothering me, I just can't bear to lose my two years of history in YNAB 4. I'm going to have to wait until this can import old budgets because I don't want to start from scratch.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
They must have not bothered to update the copy on Steam.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Karthe posted:

I don't suppose there's anything about the new YNAB that would allow for account sharing, huh? My girlfriend and I have been using just the one copy of YNAB 4 since May since the license allowed for multiple household users. I haven't seen anything in any of the docs covering YNAB 4 -> nYNAB that suggest it'd be possible.

You can have multiple budgets so I don't see why you couldn't. Everything would be accessible to everyone else though.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
lol someone's so mad about the new ynab version they're starting a project to make an open source alternative.

I love when this happens, I'm going to follow it and watch as it very likely peters out and goes nowhere.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
That's probably how I'm going to do it once I close on this house later this month.

Alternatively you could just make the escrow payments an outflow and not bother tracking them in a separate account.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Arthil posted:

So I'm in a bit of a panic right now.

I opened the program today to make sure things are correct(I work on a varied income and so have to input everything) and it's all gone. Every entry, up in smoke. Poof! No errors, just me staring at the program wanting me to create a new budget or to load one from December of 2014.

As you can imagine, I'm pretty upset here and have no idea why this happened.

Do you use dropbox? Can you restore a version of that folder from like yesterday?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

I'm real stoked for https://financier.io, it is nearly at feature parity with YNAB4, works offline, and the guy pushes out updates like once a week, so I'm excited to see him get to where YNAB4 is and then go past that. He's also pretty responsive on the subreddit for it, every feature request I've asked about he's directly responded to and thrown onto his trello page.

While I'm testing it now I just threw the local storage for it from the chrome folder onto my dropbox and symlinked it so I can mess with the same budget at home and at work. (C:\Users\*USER*\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\IndexedDB\https_app.financier.io_0.indexeddb.leveldb) :evilbuddy:

Really all I'm waiting for now is split transactions (that he appears to be working on for the next update) and I'll subscribe to support the guy because it's only a buck a month. Search will probably come soon after along with more reports and that'll be that. And QFX import if you're into that, I guess (I'm not). Also I think he's planning on letting you do custom colors so I'll have my dark mode eventually...

I'm really just worried YNAB4 is gonna break eventually and hell if I'm going to like run a VM just for a budget program jesus christ.

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Oct 6, 2016

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Financier is great, but I'm having trouble understanding cleared versus uncleared line items?

What do you mean? It works the exact same way it does in YNAB4. :confused:

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Rexim posted:

I've always been an enthusiastic user of YNAB but the stagnant development is frustrating. I've decided I'm going to try running Financier parallel with YNAB. Shouldn't be too much extra work.

Does financier do goals like YNAB? That's basically the only thing i like about nYNAB over ynab4.

Not yet but it's on his todo list.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/financier_io/status/800211893705056256

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Randler posted:

What's the advantage of Financier over YNAB4? It seems like it's just the same thing in a browser window at a better asking price than nYNAB.

well it's actively being worked on by a responsive dev while development on YNAB4 is all but abandoned, for one.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

a dingus posted:

Someone needs to come in and make a good alternative because they must be making a killing at the equivalent of $7 a month for a glorified spreadsheet.

The Financier dev open-sourced the frontend and it seems he might be more proactive with getting pull requests integrated into the main site.

You can even install it to your own server if you want, I did it just to screw around, but I don't mind paying the twelve bucks a year for the convenience of syncing.

There's also another dev who developed a mobile web app and has said he's going to get into some development for the main site eventually.

Might mean we finally get those scheduled transactions and some new features.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Could someone export some entries from YNAB4 and let me see the cfv file? I've been using Financier and I want to import my register into budgetwise but I need to slightly edit the poo poo in this because it's not exactly the same.

Just the column headers and couple transactions, some reconciled, some not, is all I really need.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Bank sync seems like an expensive waste of time imo, recurring/split transactions and off budget accounts are way more important. And some nice looking reports, I've been using Financier for the last year and I really miss useful reports.

Like literally every single YNAB alternative so far seems to crap out before getting that basic functionality in.

The second budgetwise gets the above poo poo I'll buy a lifetime membership.

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Oct 6, 2018

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
i'm on vacation and I decided to just pay cash for everything so I don't have to do a shitload of entries in my vacation category.

feels great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

I'm not gonna lose sleep over losing like six dollars of reward points