Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
http://www.youneedabudget.com/blog/...rly-next-month/

You know, after reading this, I'm realizing my Rule 4 buffer is technically short by one month's rent. I pay my rent on the first, so usually there's a $0 balance in my rent category. A big clue is that my on-budget account total is currently below the total of two normal paychecks.

Also, for off-budget asset or liability accounts like car loans or 401k, I just make one auto-adjustment with Reconcile and call it a day.

crimedog fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Feb 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
Yeah, you guys are crazy. I do net income for on-budget and reconcile only for off-budget.

crimedog fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 6, 2014

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
The easiest way is to change both old categories to one new category going forward.

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
It's income. It's new money entering your budget.

http://www.youneedabudget.com/support/article/credit-card-points-and-rewards

crimedog fucked around with this message at 14:26 on May 29, 2014

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
Sounds good to me. I keep my HSA off-budget, personally.

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
I love that, the total on budget accounts part on the left sidebar. I mean, at it's most basic, it's just your checking minus credit card.

It's just nice that it's automatic and on the screen instead of in my head.

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
My answer with these things is to match reality. Both transactions were made this month, so they should both be budgeted this month (or otherwise have enough in the correct category balance this month)

Either way though, it all works it in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.

Zilkin posted:

How those of you that are all tracking your investments with YNAB deal with the fact the stock/etc. values constantly change?

My off budget accounts are mostly reconcile auto-adjust only, so I just enter the value of the accounts on the last day of the month.