Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
So I reconciled my CC after my bank account and didn't notice that the dates I paid the CC were vastly different from what my CC considered the date. So I had a payment shown as 1/14 on my bank statement, but showed up as 1/08 on my CC statement. The problem is that my statement cuts off on the 11th so here I was working backwards to figure out my starting balance for 2013 without taking into account a 2nd payment. I have no idea why the monthly CC statement uses transaction date, the year end categorized report uses post date, and online shows both, but it's annoying as gently caress for there to be no consistency.

So now I've learned to not use Transfers for payments and I'll just handle payments separately on both ends and I did eventually manage to get everything to match up. The balance is currently correct for all of my accounts, but on my Budget screen it's showing my CC balance as what I changed it to for the start of 2013 (after accidentally reconciling the incorrect amount) and not my current balance. Is there a way to fix this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Getting back into using YNAB now that I'm married and lots of things have changed. We're debt free, so that's awesome. But we're also looking to expand our family ASAP and save up for a down payment on a house, so we want to get clear on what it's going to take.

I figured that I might as well start at the beginning of the year for completion sake even though I have lots of wedding expenses that skew what normal expenses would be. Didn't have any issues reconciling my bank account because it shows my balance along with every transaction, but reconciling my credit card has been a bit more difficult.

My CC statement just shows my Previous Balance and New Balance, so it's tough trying to figure out what my starting balance was on 1/1/2015. I've gone through and re-verified what each calendar month should add up to, so I'm pretty confident that everything has been entered. Does it make sense to just adjust the starting number to whatever it needs to be to show the accurate current unpaid balance? Or is there a better way to verify that my starting number is correct?

Another thing I notice was that when I imported QIF/OFX statements from my CC that it used the date posted instead of the day of the transaction, which is really annoying for budgeting. Going forward should I just skip importing and simply manually enter the transactions? There aren't that many, so I could easily keep up if I set aside a small amount of time each week.

This is just for my personal checking account and credit card. I'll start working with entering hers and our joint account info once this is complete. And on that note, how should we categorize monetary wedding gifts?

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
It won't take that long to enter the whole January CC statement, so I'll just do that. I know this sounds dumb, but I was hoping for some simple formula to verify the starting figure. If I take the January statement New Balance - all December 2014 charges + Previous Balance/Payment (I don't carry a balance) I have a discrepancy of $4.38 and I have no charges of $4.38 which means there's probably something I missed. After things are reconciled in YNAB I'm not sure how to unlock them, so I'd like to start off with things as accurate as possible.

And I think I'll just manually enter the transactions going forward. I'd rather have the dates reflect when the purchase occurred.

For wedding gift money, it's pretty much all been deposited in our joint account which I haven't added to YNAB yet. We haven't "spent it" (some definitely went toward honeymoon fund), but I've also been leaving that account alone to be available for rent and haven't been depositing money from my paychecks towards it. Since we didn't have anything specifically setup for savings yet I wanted to use the joint account to pay monthly expenses while we let my checking account just grow while not relating to it as available money. Have not had the time to manage moving money from one account to another for every wedding expense.

There is also additional money from each of our parents in 2014/2015 towards the wedding in that account. I paid for all of the wedding expenses from my checking account and credit card as I could cover all of it, but we deposited most (probably all) of the money we got from our parents for the wedding into our new joint account.

The other big thing that I'm not sure how to handle with YNAB is that my wife has her own small business. It brings in a decent amount of income even though it's currently part-time, but I don't know how I should incorporate that into our budget. I'm considering just learning Quicken/Quickbooks and moving all of our personal and business finances to it. It's just much easier for me to start with YNAB since I'm familiar with it.

I'm mostly looking to get to an accurate picture of where we currently are financially, so that we can look out 5 years for where we want to be and standing there look backwards to see how we fulfilled on that. Having no debt is great, but if we want to have a child (or 2 in 4 years) and buy a house in 2 years then I want to know what our gap is financially so we can be in action to have that happen.

Shyfted One fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Sep 16, 2015