Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
If we're still doing categories, here is what I have in financier and you can now make fun of me:

Giving - Charitable
Monthly Bills - Mortgage (969.58)
Monthly Bills - Home Taxes (240)
Monthly Bills - Home Insurance (70)
Monthly Bills - Titan (500)
Monthly Bills - Phone (47.43)
Monthly Bills - Internet (39.95)
Monthly Bills - Electricity
Monthly Bills - Heating (100)
Monthly Bills - Daycare (600-750)
Monthly Bills - Cleaning (60)
Monthly Bills - Roth IRAs (350)
Monthly Bills - 529 plans (120)
Monthly Bills - Car Insurance (100)
Monthly Bills - Life Insurance (38)
Monthly Bills - ATV/Motorcycle Insurance (9)
Monthly Bills - Garbage (16)
Monthly Bills - Recycling (5)
Monthly Bills - Netflix (13.77)
Monthly Bills - Amazon Prime (12)
Monthly Bills - Sam's Club (4)
Monthly Bills - Personal Article Insurance (3)
Monthly Bills - Google Drive (1.99)
Monthly Bills - Lastpass (3.50)
Monthly Bills - Plex (4)
Monthly Bills - Youtube Red (10.59)
Monthly Bills - Backblaze (5)
Monthly Bills - Financier (1)
Monthly Bills - Amazon Freetime (8)
Monthly Bills - Youtube TV (51)
Monthly Bills - Playstation Plus (6)
Monthly Bills - Car Wash (28)
Monthly Bills - Weight Watchers (19.95)
Monthly Bills - iCloud (0.99)
Everyday Expenses - Groceries
Everyday Expenses - Restaurants
Everyday Expenses - Fuel
Everyday Expenses - Household Goods (80)
Everyday Expenses - Personal (50)
Everyday Expenses - Entertainment (50)
Everyday Expenses - Entertaining (40)
Everyday Expenses - Kids Needs (125)
Everyday Expenses - Clothing
Everyday Expenses - Kids Entertainment (40)
Everyday Expenses - <me> Spending (50)
Everyday Expenses - <wife> Spending (50)
Everyday Expenses - <kid 1> Spending (20)
Everyday Expenses - <kid 2> Spending (20)
Everyday Expenses - Fun with friends
Everyday Expenses - Pet (30)
Everyday Expenses - Misc
Everyday Expenses - <kid 1> Birthday - Pappy
Everyday Expenses - <kid 2> Birthday - Pappy
Everyday Expenses - <kid 1> Sports
Everyday Expenses - <kid 2> Sports
Everyday Expenses - Magazines
Rainy Day Funds - Medical
Rainy Day Funds - Fitness
Rainy Day Funds - Emergency Fund
Rainy Day Funds - Car Maintenance
Rainy Day Funds - Home Maintenance
Rainy Day Funds - Birthdays
Rainy Day Funds - Christmas
Rainy Day Funds - Big purchases
Rainy Day Funds - Gifts
Rainy Day Funds - Taxes
Savings Goals - Mortgage Principal Payment
Savings Goals - Vacation
Savings Goals - Deck replacement
Savings Goals - <wife> Eyeballs
Savings Goals - Disney
Savings Goals - <wife> Phone
Savings Goals - Motorcycle Gear
Savings Goals - Basement TV
Savings Goals - <me> ATV!!!!
House Desuckification - Landscaping
House Desuckification - Tree removal
House Desuckification - Bathroom Project
House Desuckification - Basement Upgrades
House Desuckification - Residing project
House Desuckification - HVAC
House Desuckification - Driveway
House Desuckification - Garage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I was way behind on the thread and curious about nYNAB so my wife and I could possibly start using it. It was funny going through all the posts convincing me not to.

We've been using financier (https://app.financier.io/) since '15/16, and I think we'll just continue to use that. I'm ok with entering transactions manually, and I'm happy to throw $12/year at them. It's also been open-sourced and there really isn't any active development, but it works well enough for our needs. Someone developed a mobile version of it as well (https://app.fmobile.io/), which works pretty well on my phone.

I do own YNAB4, but we never had the classic iphone app so looks like we're out of luck there.

I had also paid $99 for lifetime access to budgetwise.io, but I never ended up using it as there were some big things missing for me, but that was years ago. Not sure what the state of it is now.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

apatheticman posted:

Does budget wise have a free trial? Weird move to have like zero screen shots or explanation of how it works.

45 day free trial, apparently.

3/mo, 24/year, 99/lifetime.

I started re-creating my budget categories in it yesterday just to give it a shot. No real opinion on it yet, I think I'm going to maintain it alongside financier to see how it works, though if it's not appreciably different/better than financier, I probably wouldn't switch over.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I still use financier.io, which is 12 bucks a year but probably won't ever be updated again because it hasn't been in quite some time. it's fine, I haven't bothered looking for anything else for a while.

I also have been using financier for ~8 years. It's a good very basic zero balance budgeting system, but nothing more than that.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

TheCenturion posted:

Wait till you figure out the trick of taking the price of the subscription, dividing it by 12, and allocating that much towards the 'Washington Post Subscription' budget category, which then gets paid out once a year.

I have budget entries for like a buck fifty a month for things that will be a hundred bucks every five years.

This means that a) when the time comes, it's covered, b) I'm building up an ersatz emergency fund, and c) I know all of my subscriptions and ongoing costs.

This also works with ballpark outlays. Figure you need to replace your tires every five years, say, and that a set of tires will be two grand.

So you budget 34 bucks a month to 'new tires.'

That just builds up and up until it's time to get new tires, and you also have that money there in case of emergency in the meantime. To my mind, at least, 34 bucks a month is probably easier to make happen than two grand lump. And if you just blow out one tire, hey, you've already got the bucks to spend on it.

Man I thought I had a lot of budget categories, but I definitely do not have a "New Tires" category. I am somehow impressed and horrified at the same time.

Just checked. We have 93 active budget categories this month.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

DoubleT2172 posted:

I'd love to have some examples of things you're making a single budget line. I run 38 and feel like it's a decent amount, thought I just have categories for Auto, Home, Medical, Pets that covers "unexpected" costs like vet bills or an oil change. I did set a separate car tire budget though since the tires for my car are ~$1350 and I wanted to spread that cost out over years

I will admit ours is a bit overkill. It's partially due to my wife's, ahem, struggle with spending to a bank balance vs. spending to the budget. Things that she wants I will remind her to add as categories so we don't spend "need money" for wants. It's a constant battle, haha. It helps to keep goals in mind / separate wants vs. needs and keep track of these long-term. There are also several categories we could probably get rid of as they're dormant/no longer applicable/not as important.

I removed some from the list due to hyper-specific things that aren't that interesting and changed the names of some categories to protect the innocent. We've got a lot of "Monthly bills", whether or not they are actually monthly. It's a good reminder of what we have active/continue to pay for as we need to budget each month.

Giving: Charitable
Monthly Bills: Home Improvements (Used to by mortgage, but now we're debt free baby)
Monthly Bills: Car payment (Saving ahead, cars are paid for)
Monthly Bills: Home Taxes
Monthly Bills: Home Insurance
Monthly Bills: Phone
Monthly Bills: Internet
Monthly Bills: Electricity
Monthly Bills: Daycare (I think this can be removed - Kid's too old/summer program availibility is pretty bad)
Monthly Bills: Cleaning
Monthly Bills: 529 plans
Monthly Bills: Car Insurance
Monthly Bills: Life Insurance
Monthly Bills: ATV/Motorcycle Insurance
Monthly Bills: Garbage
Monthly Bills: Recycling
Monthly Bills: Netflix
Monthly Bills: Amazon Prime
Monthly Bills: Sam's Club
Monthly Bills: Personal Article Insurance
Monthly Bills: Plex
Monthly Bills: Youtube Premium
Monthly Bills: Financier
Monthly Bills: Amazon Freetime
Monthly Bills: Playstation Plus
Monthly Bills: Weight Watchers
Monthly Bills: Disney+
Monthly Bills: Peloton
Monthly Bills: Peacock
Monthly Bills: Juice+
Monthly Bills: TWIT
Monthly Bills: Apple TV+
Monthly Bills: Classroom Donation
Monthly Bills: Spotify
Monthly Bills: Youtube TV
Monthly Bills: Kid Subscription Boxes (Should be removed)
Monthly Bills: Thrive
Monthly Bills: iCloud
Monthly Bills: Apple TV
Everyday Expenses: Groceries
Everyday Expenses: Restaurants
Everyday Expenses: Fuel
Everyday Expenses: Household Goods
Everyday Expenses: Personal
Everyday Expenses: Wife Personal
Everyday Expenses: Wife Hair
Everyday Expenses: Entertainment
Everyday Expenses: Entertaining
Everyday Expenses: Kids Needs
Everyday Expenses: Clothing
Everyday Expenses: Kids Entertainment
Everyday Expenses: Me Spending
Everyday Expenses: Wife Spending
Everyday Expenses: Son Spending
Everyday Expenses: Daugther Spending
Everyday Expenses: Fun with friends
Everyday Expenses: Wife staff expenses
Everyday Expenses: Pet
Everyday Expenses: Misc
Everyday Expenses: Son Sports
Everyday Expenses: Daughter Sports
Everyday Expenses: Magazines
Everyday Expenses: Kids Pictures
Everyday Expenses: Walking Around Money (Pretty much little league baseball concession stand fund at this point in the year)
Rainy Day Funds: Emergency Fund
Rainy Day Funds: Medical
Rainy Day Funds: Fitness
Rainy Day Funds: Car Maintenance
Rainy Day Funds: Birthdays
Rainy Day Funds: Christmas
Rainy Day Funds: Gifts
Rainy Day Funds: Taxes
Rainy Day Funds: Golf
Rainy Day Funds: Weddings
Rainy Day Funds: Kids Camp
Savings Goals: Big Scary (Pretty much a catch-all for "extra money, dump here for big scary goals")
Savings Goals: Vacation
Savings Goals: Wife Phone (phone replacement, not service)
Savings Goals: Son Phone
Savings Goals: Nephews spending
Savings Goals: Trip goal
Savings Goals: Personal beauty thing
Savings Goals: Another trip
Savings Goals: Another trip
House Desuckification: Pool costs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Boris Galerkin posted:

If it works for you it works for you but what even is stuff like this? I really don't get it cause in my mind you're either spending it on food, drinks, or entertainment or shopping. Why does pocket change need to be its own category? I feel like having so many categories with so many misc stuff is a waste of time but hey, if it works for you then that's all that matters I guess.

Sirotan posted:

I do this for cash withdrawals whenever I hit the ATM (which is rare) since I barely ever use cash, and it is usually so I can pay cash at places like family owned restaurants or when I need to spend a dollar or two on something random that it isn't worth the time to track.

Edit: and it appears I have 36 categories

This is exactly what we use it for. Having cash on hand for random stuff. As mentioned, right now it's primarily concession stand food as it's child sportball season. This morning it came in handy when my daughter's school had a coffee truck outside. The other week we went to a school art show and bought some fundraising items.

It's not necessarily in the budget so we don't run out of money, it's more of a reminder of our plans for said money and convenience to have cash on hand. As my categories show, I like to plan ahead. While I joke that I'm cheap, I absolutely do not mind spending money if it was planned for ahead of time.

Walking around money is pretty new to us as a category, but it's been quite successful. A++++ would categorize again.