Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Dustoph posted:

I just keep reinstalling the trial when it runs out. I'm a bum.

It'll probably go on sale this May/June (projected Steam sale timeframe) and at $25 or $15 or w/e it goes to, it's probably worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

ElGroucho posted:

I guess what I mean is, what was the time necessary to save up that buffer?

This totally depends on a person's costs and a person's income. There's no real standard for it. Basically, figure out the maximum you can save each month without driving yourself insane and you'll figure out how long it will take you.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

It's Steam Sale time, so YNAB will likely be on sale sometime soon. If I see it, I'll post. :)

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Was trying to be good with money and wait to see if there's a YNAB sale on the Friday after Thanksgiving, but it seems unlikely since they opted out of the Steam sale this past summer. Any advice on whether I should wait with this new subscription-based program on the horizon that I likely don't want?

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Just bought YNAB 4 on Steam since it seemed like that train was leaving the station. I need the manual entry as a mental gimmick to make my spending "real."

I have this trip planned for Dec 2016, about $7,200 total. I save (and have saved) $300 a month for it that goes into my savings account. I occasionally buy items for it, like I bought some expedition pants this week. I've paid about 20% of the trip, and in August a big chunk of the trip cost itself comes due. Any recommendations on how to handle this in YNAB?

I have my investment accounts AND savings accounts off-budget. The money in there isn't really for month-to-month spends (it doesn't have a job). The trip stuff gets pulled (or, I just adjust the deposit amount) occasionally, and in the case of my future car savings I did pull $1k this month for repairs/brakes but that happens like once every two years. Is that the best way to handle the savings account?

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 2, 2016