Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Anyone have any suggestions for how to budget with a payday near the end of the month? I get paid on the 25th so if I budget for rent etc. it puts me as over budgeted since I don't have enough in my account to cover the various transfers I'll be making out of my account on the 26th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Thanks for the replies. I get paid on the 25th, and on the 26th/27th I have various fixed standing orders set up. Rent is due on the 10th but I transfer money to joint account I share with my girlfriend on the 27th.

I suppose I won't budget until I get paid this month, and let anything I don't use roll into the next month for eg my phone bill that comes out on the 4th.

Normally I would have enough of a buffer but with various transfers and expenses in the last month my balance is a little lower than normal.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Earlier in the thread I asked how to manage getting paid at the end of the month. What I ended up doing was only budgeting for bills and expenses that came out after my paycheque and before the start of the new month. For example on the 25th my money comes in and on the 27th I pay rent. I also budget eg £2 for a coffee at work for the final week of the month, then once the new month starts budget another £6 or whatever for the first three weeks of that month.

Because I like to have the budget at zero, any leftover money from the end of say January is put into a 'carryover' category; I then enter this value as a negative for February which gives me the money available only in February. If I didn't do this I'd have a fair amount 'available to budget' at the end of January and could see myself chipping away at this without thinking. By zeroing the budget and carrying over the leftover money I make sure I don't overspend.

YNAB is finally clicking :)

Lady Gaza fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jan 30, 2014

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Once you've bought it through steam you can use the product code to activate the normal version!

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Tyro posted:

I have a separate category for reimbursable work expenses and I carry forward the negative balance if needed, like if I am waiting for reimbursement. I categorize the payment as a positive transaction in the category.

I was just about to ask about how to manage work expenses.

I spent £10 on train tickets and £20 on lunch last week that I've claimed on expenses; so would you suggest just creating a work expenses category, and keep it negative until it's reimbursed? My work refunds expenses on payday, so my salary will just be £30 higher this month.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Great, thanks. I think adding some of my income in the expenses category should work for me.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Looks like there might be an iPad app coming soon?

http://www.mustachianpost.com/2014/07/05/exclusive-teaser-screenshots-of-the-ynab-ipad-app/

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

I've got a weird problem. In December I've recorded an overspend of £300 in the holiday category of my budget, which I wanted to carry over into January as I'm going to be refunded that amount (which will then zero that category out). In December the category is currently red at -300, but in January is green at 0. I only wanted this to happen when I'm refunded that 300. I'm on the iPad version at the moment since I'm away from my PC over the holidays; I think it happened when I accidentally selected to cover overspending in the holiday category, but I can't figure out how to undo it. Any ideas?

Lady Gaza fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 2, 2015

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

ilkhan posted:

You need to switch the category to carryover instead of the default (which takes it off the top of the available balance the next month). Don't know the iPad version, in Windows you click on the red part of the category and it pops up a box with the 2 options.

Can't seem to do that on the iPad, will just have to wait til I get home. Thanks though.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

So I'm finally on Rule 4, which feels great. My salary comes in on the 25th, but I've already got enough money budgeted for rent/bills etc that come out on the 27th/28th. On top of this I've also got a 1 month emergency fund budgeted. When my salary comes in on the 25th, I'll mark it as income for February, and then in February budget that for rent etc.

Now I've got to this stage, what now? Increase my emergency fund to 3 months/go for other savings goals? I've been focused on getting to Rule 4 that I hadn't really thought about what happens afterwards.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Dale Sveum posted:

This is really entirely up to you!

Personally, I would pay down any debt first (that isn't something cheap, such as subsidized student loans, or a low-rate mortgage) and then start maxing out retirement accounts. If you are more risk-averse, because you don't have a very stable job, or you might have medical expenses or whatever, then you might want to put more money into your emergency fund first.

However, if you feel that you want to save for a vacation or a new car or whatever first, that's again up to you!

Thanks! I don't have any debt and I'm in a stable job (already maxed my company matching on my pension) so I think increasing my emergency fund and saving towards a house are the next steps. It's weird (but good) being in this situation!

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

I've got a shared account with my girlfriend that covers rent and bills, I just have a 'joint account' category in YNAB that I budget for. I don't use YNAB for the joint one at all, just my own money. It works out ok, I don't need to budget the joint account as that's all fixed payments. It's also less effort.

Lady Gaza fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jan 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

I do the same for work expenses. Having those red numbers on my budget reminds me to sort out the reimbursements out with the finance department.