Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

clayburn posted:

This is one of the things YNAB does on purpose that is a little confusing at first. YNAB does not try to be a forecasting tool. They simply want you to budget the money that you have on hand right now. You can certainly schedule your paycheck if you want for ease of entry, but this has the same effect as entering it manually would. Those funds aren't available until the date they hit your account.

This is the only part that's really frustrated me so far. I carry a small monthly balance on my credit card ($200-$400) that I can always pay with a chunk of my savings account if everything were to explode; I also get paid regularly on the last banking day of the month. My balance gets automatically paid off the day before the statement is due on the 7th of each month. Am I just supposed to accept that I have $400ish less than I think I have now?

I haven't tried to log a credit card payment yet, but will I do that as a transfer or as an outflow from my checking account (where it autodraws from)? I think I tried it as a transfer and I lost $800 ($400 as an outflow and another $400 showed up as credit card debt), but I'll admit that I sped through the tutorials and probably messed myself up.

Aside from this confusion (which is entirely my fault, I'm sure), I'm definitely a fan of YNAB so far and I'd recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I went back and entered the past month's worth of checking account activity, as well as the last two statements for my credit card. Since my current balance is just the sum of my last two statements (and the payment for two statements ago is processing as I type), I took the "Pre-YNAB debt" category out altogether.

If you have an outstanding balance this might not work, but I thought that helped a lot. I doubt that December is a great predictive month for anyone (I got hit with my gas bills from both Thanksgiving and Christmas; the next month I spend >$100 on gas will probably be in the summer, if not next November), but it was useful for figuring out how the heck this thing works.

e: If you have the cash on hand to pay off a credit card, I'd do that for the sake of budgeting simplicity. Alternatively, just subtract the card's balance from what you're reporting as your checking/savings sum and eliminate the "Pre-YNAB debt" category.

Cockblocktopus fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jan 3, 2014