Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I just started using YNAB about a month ago. I have the hang of most of it, but a few things still trip me up.

For instance, my mother-in-law wanted to buy concert tickets and was going to pay me back. I used my credit card. They were $330, which I put as an outflow on my card. I then created a category so I could assign the debt to it without charging it to another category. So it has a negative balance. So today she wrote me a check for $330. So...I should assign it as an inflow to my checking account to that category and then just add another transaction being a transfer from my checking to the card?

A second question, I have a "house fund" account that is currently on budget, but I'd like to move it to off budget. When I just click the account and move it, I get a bunch of transactions needing a category and also I move to over budgeted by a bunch, but that doesn't make sense to me. I have a "savings goal" category of House Fund which I budget to, then I add transfers as the money actually goes to the account

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

ilkhan posted:

You've got the first part correct. The check is an inflow on that category to checking and you just pay the bill as a transfer per normal.

Moving stuff between on/off budget is a pain in the rear end. Transfers between on budget accounts dont get a category as the money isn't leaving your budget. Moving that category to off-budget means the money is being "spent" versus "moved", and thus get a category and will change your budget for each instance of spending into that house fund.

Why do you want it off budget?

Eh, I guess it doesn't need to be--it's just not an account I'm going to be spending from any time soon

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I'm going to make a fresh start. I have too many accounts that don't quite reconcile right (off by a few cents or a dollar or so) and I want to move my "cash" account off budget. My wife is a waitress and brings in a lot of cash, which we budget, but then it ends up getting spent and not always tracked. So instead of fixing that I'm just going to budget cash when it gets deposited to our checking account.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Underwear posted:

Does your bank not protect against fraud / unauthorized use? I may be incorrect but I've always assumed fraudulent chequing transactions could be disputed and reversed like with a credit card.

I can't answer for the OP but even if they do, if your account has been drained to $0, it's not going to instantly come back. The bank has to investigate and that could take days or weeks.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I'm still having trouble with off-budget accounts, I should just stop using them.

We have a checking account that we don't really use, so I have it off budget. There's a credit card we have that we paid this month and it turns out it was from the account that's off budget (they're both PNC accounts, I guess I wasn't paying attention). It was $57. I had the payment in my on budget checking and it wasn't clearing, so I went looking for it and it was in the other account. In YNAB, I moved it to the off budget account. Then it wants a category in the credit card section, which throws off my budget (the spending was already budgeted). If I move the other checking account back on budget (and actually update how much money is in it, since I don't pay attention to it). There's 26.something in the account now, so to take it from 0 to have a balance of 26, YNAB reconciled $85 into it. The only problem with that is now it's saying I have $85 to budget.

So to "fix" this, I said the $57 payment came from my main checking account, added a $57 "deposit" to it, then created a budget category for the excess $57 and hid it. Is there an easy way to fix this so it's "correct" in YNAB?

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I'm excited for YNAB 5 because adobe air is trash and ynab 4 is painful. I mean it's a fantastic program, but it's slow as poo poo. And the dropbox sync is nice when it works, but seems to fail a lot.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

CarrKnight posted:

Something I quite don't understand: last month I allocated 700 in the grocery category. I ended up spending only 575.
This month I allocated another 700, but the 125 i saved the previous month have carried over and now my grocery balance is 825. That's annoying, I'd like it to be 700, how do I remove the carrying over? Do I have to screw around with November "budgeted" column so that all the savings go only to the "emergency fund" row?

Select this month's grocery category "budgeted", press the minus key (-), type 125 and hit enter. Then you can budget it to the emergency fund or wherever. There aren't any options for underspending (/overbudgeting) as there are for overspending (where you can select if it deducts from next month's "available to budget" or carry over the negative balance in the category).

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

For me there is value in the ynab process. I bought it in a steam sale a few years ago and didn't even use it until this year. It's stuff I theoretically could do in a spreadsheet, but I never did. I take their explanation at face value, that an ongoing subscription is better value for them, plus it does enable them to release more features (or more often, at least). We'll have to see if that ends up happening, but it at least makes sense.

I do see the point when people say they don't want a subscription, it's valid. Ynab 4 is perfectly serviceable. But I think a lot of the backlash (not necessarily here) has been unwarranted, and accuses them of being greedy. People saying they'll never subscribe just on principle just seems weird. I am a little skeptical of some of the changes they announced (credit cards have always been a little confusing, but I'm used to them now) but we'll see how it goes. Maybe I'm just naive

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

They done hosed up credit cards. If I have -$1000 on a credit card (from using YNAB4) does that mean I need to budget +$1000 to pay that card? For the starting balances at least? It gets paid off every month.

That's the only way my numbers seem to match up...

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

YNAB4 migrations currently not working:

quote:

Update - We are investigating an issue that is causing YNAB 4 Migrations to run much too slowly. We will post more details in the morning. We're sorry it's not working, and we'll get it fixed.
Dec 31, 04:37 UTC
Investigating - We are investigating a performance issue related to migrating budgets.
Dec 31, 04:13 UTC
from http://status.youneedabudget.com/

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Karthe posted:

I finally got everything moved over to the site and so far it's pretty much the YNAB experience I know and love. I already miss the ability to hit the + or - keys to quickly adjust balances, though. I really hope they plan on re-implementing that.

Yes! That is my number one most needed feature. Even before reports.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Do you guys have a "cash" account for ynab? If you almost always use a credit card, at least. I'm pretty sure the teachings somewhere say to have one, but it's way easier for me to just have the money leave the budget when I withdraw it from an ATM.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I used aCar but one time I wiped my phone and didn't have a backup and it made me sad so I don't use it anymore :(

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I haven't had any major problems with the credit card stuff other than getting used to it being different than the way 4 does it. I don't ever budget to the credit card line in the budget though, seems like that screws things up.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

You can still manually enter transactions in nYNAB. That's how I do it.

I've used nYNAB since it launched and it's generally been fine, it's just annoying how little they've seemed to do with it. One of the big "reasons" they gave for switching models was so they could roll out features faster. Have there been any at all? I use toolkit for ynab so I can't remember what is from that and what is in the app itself.

The biggest feature I miss is being able to + or - in a field. Toolkit has this, but it sometimes stops working and I'll have to refresh to get it working again.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

thegreatcodfish posted:

This works, you just have to do it as a full calculation , you can't overwrite a value with +# and get the sum, it has to be #+#.

Also, credit card refunds work fine for me. Haven't had to do any weird moving of money to get them to work.

Huh, interesting. I guess toolkit just makes it work easier, i.e., I'm on a field, I +X, hit the down arrow, +X, hit the down arrow, +X, etc. Without Toolkit, I have to down arrow, right arrow +X, down arrow, right arrow, +X

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

How is my credit card budget line "over budget" when all of my spending on it has a category (and none of the categories are negative). Meaning, all the money I "spent" on the card was actually taken from a spot in the budget. I feel like I'm missing something obvious but the credit card still challenges me sometimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

My problem is my credit card is already a credit card. Should I just make a new account in ynab