Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

How do you guys handle multiple installments of a single thing on the credit card?

Just put them all in the CC account when you make the purchase and clear them month by month? Something else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Say I made a $200 purchase, but the store offers to divvy it up in four installments of $50 each. Each installment of the purchase will appear on my CC statement in the same day, but each with a month between them.

Should I:

1) Put four transactions in the same day as the purchase, $50 each, but each one month apart, and mark them as cleared when I see the installment on the credit statement?

2) Put one $200 transaction in the appropriate category and mark it as cleared

3) Set up automatic payment as per Old Fart suggested and remove that when I see that the entire thing has been paid off.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Thanks, guys. :)

ilkhan's method seems to be the simpler one, and I might just do that.

Zteuer posted:

You could set up a separate YNAB-account for the store and then make a transfer between that account and the CC whenever the installments are paid. Just hide the account when you are done with it.

This one is quite interesting, but it looks to me that I could open quite a lot of accounts and just end up in a mess.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

beedeebee posted:

I tried YNAB a couple of times in the past, and I'll probably start again today (or maybe 1st of February? Not sure what would be best).

Anyway, me and my girlfriend have a shared account. We pay rent, gas etc. from that account. Thing is, she won't be using YNAB. So how do I best keep track of that account?
Set-up a non-budget account, then transfer money from my account to that shared account? Just budgetting from my account, and then transfer the sum to the non-budget account? Will that work?

Or, if she keeps the receipts around, she could give them to you at the end of the day, (or whenever) and you can then enter in YNAB.

Also, I started YNAB budgets a few times over until I got the hang of it, and I found out that it was easier when I started in the day that I got paid. YMMV, though.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

AbsenceVsThinAir posted:

Personally, I would keep that account off budget since it sounds like there wouldn't be much added value in having it on budget.

Since I can't think on a non-convoluted way to make this work I have to agree with this.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

How do you guys handle purchases with foreign currencies on the credit card?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Sure it does. Click on your credit card account on your accounts list on the left, it should then list your CC transactions only.

Now you can just enter whatever the amount was, and it should be assigned to your CC account.

Anyway, YNAB doesn't really care on what account your money actually is, only that between all your in-budget accounts you have a big pile of cash, and that pile of cash needs to be given jobs on your budget.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I've not used YNAB for quite some time now, is there an easy way to start over with everything but keep the categories that I made up?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I never used it before and I'm at work right now, so I can't check.

Won't that wipe out my categories, though?

EDIT: It's a FAQ on the site :blush: https://www.youneedabudget.com/support/article/fresh-start

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jun 12, 2015

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Chin Strap posted:

I want cloud because I'm often wanting to update my budget while not at a windows or mac computer. Most of my interaction with YNAB is through a remote desktop session to my home PC.

You can just stick your budget file into Dropbox and YNAB works fine with it. There's also apps for both Android and iOS.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

you ate my cat posted:

My credit card line in my budget seems to have no relation at all to what's actually going on in my credit card account, but I've just been ignoring it. I'm not carrying a balance, and all the purchases are budgeted for, so I don't really understand the purpose of having that line at all.

In YNAB4 That line is for when you have a preexisting balance on that CC when you create the CC account. The idea is that you budget against it until you pay it off, and it's treated separately from your usual purchases in the CC.

Sockser posted:

Not in nYNAB it's not. Every cc transaction goes into that line.

duh, thanks

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 29, 2016

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Enfys posted:

(which I know is both bad and also probably beyond the scope of this thread and likely this forum since I don't live in the US so don't have access to things like Roth and various US index funds or whatever).

Unless that's open to foreigners, but for some reason I doubt it.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

mrchinchin25 posted:

I suspect this will be something to do with the dropbox syncing api's stopping working next year, which I heard vaguely about somewhere.

Are you posting from 2015?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Oh, I'm sorry. I misread deprecating in this year as opposed to actually turning it off.

How does Financer compare to YNAB4?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

You people should really get the classic ynab mobile app and enter the transactions right when you buy things.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Haven't used YNAB since 2015 or so. Is the Steam version still good? Did they ever implement integration with stuff like Bank of America?

It's still YNAB4, and that still works fine, if that's what you mean. I can't really say if it's better than nYNAB, as I haven't used it, but the opinions on that still seems pretty mixed, from what I gather.

Supposedly nYNAB has importing features, so they might have BoA importing.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Teeter posted:

Is there still fear of YNAB4 quitting out on us once the Dropbox API changes? Or did that already switch over and everything is fine?

I haven't really kept up with that, I've just hoped that it would either all blow over or the Financier.io guy would be up to feature parity by the time dropbox breaks things.

If they have already switched over, it still works fine for me.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

That's a lot of categories. :stare:

I try to keep my categories page slim enough so it doesn't run off the screen, and to make manual registering less of a PITA on mobile:

Mine are:

Monthly Bills:
* <My Bank Name> - Bank Account Maintenance Tax
* Dental
* Health Insurance
* Phone
* Gym
* Orthodontics treatment - Yeah the dental plan doesn't cover this.
* Personal Trainer
* Home Security

Installments:
This master category is supposed to hold purchases installments, but I'm cutting back on them because they suck and it feels so bad to have to allocate money to them every month. Luckily thanks to YNAB I only have one category in it.
* Portable Air Conditioning unit

Daily Purchases:
Not really daily purchases per se, but eh.
* Groceries
* Gas
* Eating out - This is actually a daily expense for me, and it's the category where I spend the most. I really need to get into the habit of cooking.

Etc.:
* Others - Catch-all for fun money and other infrequent expenses.
* Bank Transfers - Bank charges from when I transfer money to other people's accounts.

Emergency Funds:
* Others - Big and unexpected purchases that don't fit other categories, and also an envelope where I can take money off to cover costs in other categories, if needed.
* Surgery - I'm up for a jaw surgery soon, and while most of it is covered by the insurance, this category covers costs when neither the dental or health insurance covers them.
* Car repairs

Investments:
Transfers to off-budget investment accounts go here. Each account has their own subcategory.

If I need/want to save money for big purchases I create a temporary category for the goal and fill it up as I go. I believe nYNAB has a goals thing already, but I'm on YNAB 4. :rip:

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Oct 5, 2019

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

greazeball posted:

Is there a way to just quickly copy all the budget values from last month into the next one? There was that little lightning bolt in ynab4 that had the option to do that for your whole budget and it seems like I'm supposed to check each category individually every month now? I did a fresh start and I want to be more granular but not if I have to fuss with it all the time

edit: durr... you can select more than one category and then select budget value from last month

I'm gonna have lines for every kind of food I buy, I want to know how much I spend on cherry tomatoes as opposed to the regular kind

Is that something they removed from ynab 4? I don't think I ever seen it.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Is there a way to actually delete payess from YNAB4? I know I can disable them, but I wanted to get rid of them completely.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

You can get around the dropbox sync API by saving the budget file in a dropbox folder and opening it from there. The only issue is that YNAB creates a bunch of diff files, but I've been using this way for years and my free dropbox account still has a lot of space left.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

[strike]I just got a new phone and apparently they de-listed the YNAB classic app from the play store.[/strike]

EDIT: nvm

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Dec 28, 2019

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Jesus In A Can posted:

For the person saying they couldn't find YNAB Classic in the store anymore: I couldn't either, and I had uninstalled it a while back on this phone. Through the Play Store, if you go to your library, it still appears and if you click on it, you can still install it.

Yeah I triple checked and finally found it on the library tab. Thanks!

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Dec 31, 2019

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

The Savings category is a category that is set up so you remember to put aside some cash for your savings. Of course you can choose how much to put towards that according to your goals, and you could even outright delete it for now if it doesn't make sense to you.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Manually entering transactions gets pretty... automatic after a little wellw.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Auto import also doesn't catch cash transactions, which is the payment method that has the least chance to have a paper trail like receipts and such.

Also I doubt my country's banks is supported by YNAB so it's not like I have the option for it anyway. :shrug:

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 18, 2020

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

They used to until they memory-holed that away when NuYNAB came out.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Defenestration posted:

So related to manual import chat: I do manual religiously but from my bank statements on weekends. And I've been absolute garbage at logging cash transactions so now I have an obscene amount in the cashmoney account that is just false. (Like $1800)

What do you guys think I should do to zero it out in the most accurate way?

I reconcile my account and I set the "Income for <month>" as the payee, so it subtracts straight from the "Available for Budgeting" pool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

so what do i do if there isnt enough jobs for the cash