Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Giant Goats
Mar 7, 2010
It's true that YNAB (the software alone, not counting the classes and support material) doesn't do anything that a sufficiently well-designed spreadsheet couldn't do for free. But, embarrassing though it is to admit, if I were the kind of person who could make that spreadsheet and stick with it, I wouldn't have loused up my finances the way I did.

I was never someone who overspent as a habit. I lived below the poverty line for years and had a knack for keeping to a budget and stretching out a dollar. But when my income finally went up, I found I had a hard time seeing that additional cash as anything but an amorphous blob of "savings" and "free spending money" - which meant that when three major life emergencies hit in a row, I ended up in debt to the tune of just over $5000, which could have been avoided with the proper planning.

YNAB makes the principle of giving every dollar a job simple and flexible, and ever since I started using it, I've made major strides in paying off my debt while building back up my emergency savings and setting clear amounts aside for specific savings goals.

TL;DR - if you've ever been stupid with money, YNAB is worth a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Goats
Mar 7, 2010

Bloody Queef posted:

How do people handle investments in the budget side of things? I get that you can add a line item under savings for "investments" but the balance of investments will change due to gains/losses etc. Is there a way to track that in the budget portion, or is that budget investment number (overall, not monthly addition) a made up number?

For clarity:
I decide to put $250 a month into an investment account. After 4 months the balance in my Budget area will say $1,000. But let's say I made some good trades and turned that $1,000 into 1,100. So my investment account says 1,100 but my budget area for investment says 1,000. How can I reconcile those?

I keep my investments and my RSP as their own accounts in the off-budget section. These aren't tapped for my daily spending, so they shouldn't affect the pool of money I'm drawing from each month. I update them manually every quarter.

Giant Goats
Mar 7, 2010

SimpleCoax posted:

Looks like YNAB is 50% off at http://www.macupdate.com today.

Also I have a question. I've been using YNAB for the past two months. How do you guys handle rollover balances from your categories you underspent? I feel like at the end of the month I will just budget them to zero so the balance doesn't accumulate. Is there a disadvantage to doing this? I would kind of like having a uniform budget over each month and having any rollover go to the available to budget number for the next month, rather than my budget numbers always matching the outflows.

It depends on the category. I overbudget a little for groceries to allow for the weeks when I inevitably run out of three or four staples at the same time, or when I'm called upon to bake something for work or have a guest over at mealtimes. In that case, I use the extra for debt repayment once I know whether I'm going to use it all. For most of my other categories, I roll over to use them as a combined budget and short-term savings thing - for instance, whatever's left over in my household category just goes towards bigger household purchases like new curtains or a new lamp, and whatever's left over after paying my phone bill goes towards saving up for a new phone.

There's no reason not to do things the way you propose, although long-term you'll probably want to adjust your budgeting if you're consistently overestimating your expenses.

Giant Goats
Mar 7, 2010

tuyop posted:

What the gently caress?

I believe you because you sound very credible, but can you explain why this is true? I don't have an example handy to try it out for myself.

It's like seeing the rule of 72 for the first time. :psyduck:

http://ine.scripts.mit.edu/blog/2011/06/the-rule-of-9s/