Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Y'all inspired me to try to use ynab4 again, I could save 180 a year!!

Oh, it's hard to import my nYNAB data without using a Python script? Hmmm maybe not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

My favorite feeling is when I get to hide a category. For example, I had several legal expenses last winter and this spring. Now that those are finished, bye bye legal bills category!

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

Jesus Christ I have like 15 categories and I thought that was too much. I have the basics like "Rent" and "Utilities" and "Groceries". I also have "Pet" and "Medical." All my subscriptions are just "Subscriptions". I have one "Shopping" category that are just random non-grocery related expenses. When I buy household stuff or shampoo I usually buy it when I'm grocery shopping so that all gets counted as "Grocery" too because I can't be assed to enter a split transaction.

When I was much younger I had budget line items for "coffee" and "drinks/alcohol" and stuff like that but I ain't got time for that these days. It's all just "Food" even if it's just drinks at a bar.

e:

If it works for you it works for you but what even is stuff like this? I really don't get it cause in my mind you're either spending it on food, drinks, or entertainment or shopping. Why does pocket change need to be its own category? I feel like having so many categories with so many misc stuff is a waste of time but hey, if it works for you then that's all that matters I guess.

How do you handle cash? I suppose you could monitor each penny of that $100 withdraw and then, after you spend it, split the $100 ATM charge into categories X,Y,Z. I'm personally not that picky at this point in my budgeting career.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

I pull $20 from the atm and deduct it from "shopping" and then I never worry about it again. Or if I'm specifically pulling cash out for a bar or something for some reason I guess I'd deduct it from "food."

E: not saying I'm doing it right and everyone else is doing it wrong of course. I'm just at the point in my life where I bring in more than I spend and I don't really need to know where every single dollar is.

E2: I never really use cash though. I pull out a $20 and exchange it for quarters for the laundry every now and then. For that I just mark it as shopping money because it's less of a hassle than having a category specifically for household stuff.

Yea, cash is king and I always have +/- $50 in case I bump into a cash-only situation like a taco truck or unhoused person. BRB, changing my "cash" category into "pocket full of bills/walkin' around money".