Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Did you clear transactions with a date in the future?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Dantu posted:

So, the balances of all your categories should equal the balance of your physical accounts at any given time, correct?

No, because you can add transactions that you know about, but that haven't cleared yet. That reduces the category balance, and the "Working Balance" YNAB displays, while the physical account balance hasn't updated yet.
The "Cleared Balance" field in YNAB should always match though, if it doesn't, you need to clear transactions and/or reconcile that account.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

tuyop posted:

As soon as a transaction gets added to an account, it subtracts from account balance and category balance. Clearing is just for reconciliation. Unless you're using a setting that I'm not.

No, that's correct.
But there are cases where you add a transaction to YNAB, that hasn't actually hit your account yet (for example when you order from amazon, you get charged when they ship it, not when you complete the order).
In those cases, the cleared balance equals the actual account balance, while the working balance and the category balances are what's left over when that transaction goes through.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

greazeball posted:

Something weird is going on (or I'm being dumb, which is not that weird).

I'm trying to reconcile my current account, there have been about 10 transactions since I last reconciled on the 8th. But somehow I'm getting a difference of 15000 Swiss francs. Just to confirm that I wasn't blind and missing some giant thing in my bank statement, I tried to reconcile from a date we've already reconciled to and there's a 14000 CHF difference:

Here, the balance on my bank statement matches the cleared balance on the date:

But then I don't understand what's happening here:

I've been reconciling this account for about 8 months and it's always been pretty straightforward but now suddenly I don't get it. Can anybody help?

Do you have any cleared transactions with a date in the future? Those don't show up when you reconcile.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Try it without the comma

e: just tried it myself, and the thousands-separator shouldn't make a difference, but I'm in a region where . and , are switched...

Tamba fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Oct 24, 2014

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

One time purchase.
There is a 40 day demo, so unless it's supposed to be a Christmas surprise she can just try it.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

You could even wait until the inevitable Steam sale to pick up a key for cheap (usually $12.50).

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Defenestration posted:

I've been wanting one for myself too. You think it will go on sale for the holidays?

I won't be in my hometown very long so I won't have a lot of time to teach her.

It definitely was on sale the last summer and winter sale, so I don't see why they would stop now.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Yes, all money in on-budget accounts is one pool that's available to budget into your categories. YNAB doesn't care where that money is actually located and transfers between on-budget accounts don't affect the budget.

So to start out, you create all your on-budget accounts with their current balance. All hat money now shows up as available to budget at the top.
If you want to reserve some of that money for a certain task, you enter that amount for that category (the first column for that month).
If you spend against a category, the transaction shows up in the second column and reduces the money available in that category (the third column).
Money in the third column never goes away until you either spend against that category or you take it out (by budgeting a negative amount), so if you don't spend it, it'll stay there for the next month.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

I don't think you can do it in a single transaction.
Either split it up into 3 single Inflow transactions, or an inflow transaction with 100% into one account and then a split outflow transaction into the two others from the first account.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Thermopyle posted:

Note that in the pre-subscription world where YNAB just charged for major updates once a year or so, YNAB is more expensive than in the subscription at $50/year world.

Not if you bought it for $10 at a steam sale.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/ynab/status/786602838050889728

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Demon_Corsair posted:

Edit: Does financier support recurring transactions like ynab4 does?

Not yet, but it's in the to do-list

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

TheCenturion posted:

There's an update downloading for iOS YNAB app. Says it's in preparation for the new Dropbox API.

Same for Android

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

How about Firefly III?
It's a web-app, but it's self-hosted, so you could just the docker container on your PC (or your NAS if you have one) and it will work without access to the internet.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

It's been a few months since the YNAB price increase was announced, how is everyone doing with other options? I need a budget app but no I am not going to sink 100 a year into it lmao.

I'm still using YNAB4 for now, but I got Firefly running and managed to import all my YNAB4 transactions, so that's a good start.
It's not zero-based budgeting like YNAB though: Your budget is not linked to your account balances. Every month (or week, or whatever budget period you want to use), you decide, how much money you want to have available that month and then allocate that to your categories (manually or automatically based on the last month).
This is for money you're actually expecting to spend that budget period.
All other money goes into your savings account(s), where you can assign it to piggy banks. Those are for saving up for specific things, or just as more or less specific emergency funds you can draw from when you need it.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I want to run a docker instance of Actual now that it's open source and free but I currently don't have any way of importing all my data from Financier and I don't really want to start over and lose 10 years of budgeting.

Financier lets you export everything as csv files, and you should be able to import the transactions into Actual with that. I don't think you can import the budget, but I'm not really sure if importing past budgets would even be all that useful?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Handsome Ralph posted:

I'm still using YNAB4 and will continue to do so until it just no longer works. Their SaaS product has seemingly not gotten any better since the last time I looked at it, so onwards I go using YNAB4 for another year.

Also they launched a new newsletter called "Loose Change", lmao.

YNAB4 works on Linux with wine/proton, so even if Microsoft decides to completely screw all old software support, you will probably be able to use it forever.
Syncing and the phone apps will probably stop working completely at some point though (the Android one only works with an unofficial patch now and see the above point for iOS)