Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I mark that kind of money as money within the month.

Rent may be due on the 1st of Feb but I need to make sure I have enough before then so my budget sheet shows rent as the last thing that's due and paid for in a month. Any extra will roll over so it doesn't matter too much. Just figure out a way that makes sense to you and how you pay bills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Lblitzer posted:

Would like an opinion on how to handle cash with a budget. Let's say I pay $100/month for cellphone service but also split it with a friend. He gives me $50 in cash for his split. Should I be budgeting for the whole bill as that's what I do pay and then add the $50 as an income in that Cellphone Bill category?

That's how I'd do it

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Lblitzer posted:

I just started using YNAB so please bare with me if I'm overly complicating things!

So how I do it now is this: I budget $100 for my bill, I pay the $100 using a debit card and file that transaction under that budgeted amount. Friend gives me $50 cash although what confuses me is if I want to even include cash as an inflow on YNAB. I guess maybe that's where I sit right now is needing to figure out if I'm going to track cash.

If you actually deposit that cash then you could put it down as a $50 inflow. If not, then you could have it as a separate cash account or a category in order to track it.

https://www.youneedabudget.com/support/article/handling-cash1

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

HonorableTB posted:

Okay I'm confused about how to do this. I got paid today, but January isn't over, and I still have expenses for January (last rent payment for Feb plus groceries and such). How do I categorize this income? Income for January or February? If I do it for February, will I have to fudge the transaction dates for everything I buy today to make it jive? I don't want to put another rent payment in February because I'm already going to have two of them that month to pay for March and it will throw my numbers off. Do I set it as income for January? But the problem with that is that I have bills that need to be paid *in February*, but are due before my next check comes in, so they need to be paid this pay period. But I've already paid those bills for January, and adding more money to the categories for January means my numbers for Feb will be off.

Goddamn I hate not being paid on the 15th and 30th/31st of the month like I used to. I get paid every second Friday now, no matter when that date falls, and it makes this a lot harder than it should be.

Budget the money for January and pay the February rent and bills with it. You will have left over money "this month" that rolls over and you can use that money to budget for the bills that need to be paid within the first 2 weeks.

For example look at my sheet. I have to have rent paid by the 1st so I budgeted the paycheck I got today to that. I have some extra money leftover for the month that has been rolled over and budgeted to the early bills next month (You can see the 188.42 not budgeted to Jan at the top of Feb) like an estimated electricity and random bullshit. Your March rent will be need to be budgeted and saved at the end of February to apply for March.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

ilkhan posted:

Why do you have an outflow under pre-ynab debt?
And do I want to know what "meUndies" category it for?

https://meundies.com/

they are the most comfortable underwear in the god drat world. step up your underwear game

The way YNAB does pre-YNAB credit card debt is as a massive outflow. This is my first month using YNAB

George H.W. Cunt fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 30, 2015

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

They have a subscription thing where you get their print of the month

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Rofl thats kind of weird but you know what, I appreciate the honesty

its a nice way to get new underwear with fun prints on it. much better than wearing hanes or fruit of the loom all the time :shrug:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

spwrozek posted:

I just dropped $20 on a pair so you better come through.

drat I should have linked the referral and given 20% off

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Should pay off my old credit card at the end of this month and cashed in my worthless reward points. $43.17 check comin' my way. :toot:

Really look forward to a citi double cash card once my score is up a bit

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

spwrozek posted:

By far the best undies ever so thanks for that.

Another satisfied customer!

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Lol wheres the referral link.

YNAB - Budget and Underwear Subscription Management Tool

http://fbuy.me/-r-M

20% off

George H.W. Cunt fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Feb 22, 2015

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Gothmog1065 posted:

This. You should have a credit card account (Because you have a credit card!) on budget and the purchases go there. When you pay off the credit card, it's a transfer (not budgeted since you already did that with the purchases).

This is what tripped me up with credit cards at first on YNAB. You budget purchases via the categories like normal and put the transaction under your credit card. You'll show a negative balance on the card but once it comes time to pay off you just do a transfer of whatever amount and it all zeroes out.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Divide your budgeted amount or leftovers by however many weeks are left in the month. You could then add that as a comment

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

2 months of using YNAB I've gotten my credit card paid down $1,600 and will have last months statement paid off in full. Slowly but surely my bills are being shifted to earlier paychecks and some already in Step 4. :feelsgood:

Now I just need to :yotj:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Probably not but they are nearly half the price. Premium underwear is something everyone should invest in. It's time to ditch your Hanes people

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Use the dude selling it in SA mart for 22ish

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

EvilElmo posted:

I can't find the thread, do you have a link?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3599565

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

redcheval posted:

Okay, cool. I'm pretty new to actually getting my financial stuff organized... I'm using this savings account to build up my emergency savings. Since that's not really money I'm gonna have budgeted out on a month to month basis, is there any reason not to just actually have it be off-budget? Having a chunk of money I'm not going to actually spend and don't want to touch look available to budget is kind of throwing me off.

If you have 3 months of living expenses already saved up in that savings account just leave it off budget and dont touch it until an emergency. Utilize those off budget accounts for things like savings.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Irritated Goat posted:

It's positive because it's paid off and usable if we need it. As far as the discrepancy, I have no idea. I'm not able to change that amount to match what it should be. Would it be better to re-watch the CC video and change all of those?

Alternately, do a fresh start and fill in the current amounts on everything?

Fresh start might be the best idea.

A CC is never positive because it is not actual money. Hell that way of thinking is what gets people in trouble to be begin with. A CC should be 0 with a very temporary negative balance because ideally you already have money on hand to pay for whatever you use the CC for. Obviously when you're trying to get out of debt that isn't the case but moving forward only use a CC for what you can already pay for with your checking account.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Step 4 is a pretty nice feeling but I think I'll only be truly happy when that little networth line is above $0

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

baby puzzle posted:

Why is my "available to budget" so high? It clearly comes from my initial bank balance but I would be broke soon if I budgeted and spent 20x my income in one month. Why doesn't "available to budget" come from my income instead? The number just isn't useful to me right now. How do I make it more useful?

Your "available to budget" is money that you have on hand at that current moment since that is all you can really budget for. If you have $5,000 available to budget and only use $2,500 in a month then you budget for that then either use the rest to save or put towards future months. If you don't have enough money to cover for the entire month then budget the soonest and highest priority bills until more money comes along that allows you to budget more and more.

George H.W. Cunt fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jun 14, 2015

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

There's a good rewards card thread here in BFC.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

My referrals have run dry so this is excellent news

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I thought I read somewhere that they don't do the steam sale anymore. Might be better off using the guy in SA mart

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3599565

I used that guy a while ago but I'm not sure on his current inventory.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3528291

There's that guy who does a flat 15% off though

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

If anyone gets into the YNAB beta as a new user id love to hear the thoughts about it. Not thrilled about monthly payment but in interested to see the new features

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Oh cool new YNAB is unveiled/released in two days.

http://www.youneedabudget.com/blog/2015/the-new-ynab-lands-in-two-days/

quote:

For the next little while, this little blog is going to get a little crazy as it relates to this little thing we’ve been working on for more than two years. Ok, there is nothing little about it.

We’re thrilled to announce the New YNAB, (we’ll just call it “YNAB” going forward) which will land/launch/premiere/be live in two days. December 30 is launch day!

In the past decade, we’ve learned a lot—not only about building budgeting software but about how people learn to budget and why they stick with it—and we’ve put it all into this new version. We built it from the ground up. It’s the best YNAB yet.

We’ve been quietly (sort of, quietly?) testing things in the wild for the past several months and can’t wait to open the floodgates!

Over the next several weeks we’ll be answering all your questions, full of announcements and features and updates and new thinking around the Method. We will surely exhaust you with blog posts. But it’s just that big.

Two days and the New YNAB becomes YNAB.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

YNAB doesnt go on steam sale anymore

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

http://www.youneedabudget.com/blog/2015/your-finances-will-be-less-tedious-super-focused-and-older-with-the-new-ynab/

I'm liking some of the new features. I was just messing with Mint today seeing how much I could save if I payed extra on a loan. While I don't think it will show how much I will save totally based on interest calculations, it does give me a "you will may off at this date" which is nice.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

http://www.youneedabudget.com/learn/guide/transition-guide

Looks like you can import your YNAB 4 data

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

lol someone's so mad about the new ynab version they're starting a project to make an open source alternative.

I love when this happens, I'm going to follow it and watch as it very likely peters out and goes nowhere.

So a spreadsheet?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

You put your next paycheck you get this month into next month if all your bills are paid for this month. Once you actually receive it of course. Slowly but surely you'll hit step 4. More like a step 3.5 as you wait to fill an entire month ahead

George H.W. Cunt fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jan 9, 2016

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Positive net worth as of this friday.

:toot:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I got a modest increase at a new job in July but after retirement was taken into account my take home was more or less the same. I think the biggest factor into getting ahead is budgeting for 4 weeks in a month and that "extra paycheck" every couple of months padding that step 4.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

http://www.youneedabudget.com/blog/post/a-status-report-on-reports-some-other-things

Kinda just wish they left direct import alone and went onto at least making it worthwhile to go from YNAB4.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I'm still using YNAB 4 but is there a way to send the rest of available monies to the next month? I know that it does it automatically but I'd like that "Available to Budget" to read zero.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

They just need to hire the guy who is making the free version

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

That net worth line cracking 0 was probably the single greatest achievement since hitting step 4. People are crazy if they don't use reports.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I'm unemployed at the moment and will start pulling from my savings. Do you do that transfer from savings to checking as an income even though it isnt really true income?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

TheCenturion posted:

If the savings account is on budget, i.e. the bank account is listed as a 'budget account' and you have a budget category labelled 'Long Term Savings' or whatever, you just remove money from that budget category, then budget it to whatever. You should also enter a transfer from the savings account to the checking account so that the account totals all reflect reality, as well.

This is what I ended up doing that made the most sense in my head.