Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr_D
Jan 28, 2001

I have no sense of humor. I like to crap on everyone's good time by being a jerk. Take a ride on my turd rainbow!
When will YNAB get trading cards? I want the badge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr_D
Jan 28, 2001

I have no sense of humor. I like to crap on everyone's good time by being a jerk. Take a ride on my turd rainbow!
Dave Ramsey is a tool, though.

And hey, good on you dreesemonkey for working on YNAB to provide new and useful reports. Per reddit, the new features of YNAB5 that we know about are:

• "The Cloud" so now you can rely on a spotty internet connection to work on your budget
  • Goal tracking, basically a memo field for a budget category
  • Credit card payment management, a feature that becomes less useful the more you use YNAB
  • A monthly paycheck for the developers

I guess there could be something amazing under wraps, but at this point I'm not optimistic.

Mr_D
Jan 28, 2001

I don't think YNAB4 supports multiple currencies in one budget (see, that would be a useful feature for YNAB5).

As for "private" categories, for the payee put "greazeball's dope dealer" and set the category to "secret purchases WIFE DO NOT LOOK". Category and payee names are arbitrary, you don't have to fill them out correctly. I have a "Work Lunch" payee, because I don't care if I went to Jimmy John's or Chipotle or the local beef stand - I just want to track how much I spend on lunches at work as part of my overall Restaurants category.

For me, ATM withdrawals are blow money. I budget $200 for ATM withdrawals a month, and once it's gone I don't take money out. You could do something similar in your situation.

Mr_D
Jan 28, 2001

Combat Pretzel posted:

This spring they scrapped their V1 of their "calculation engine" and rewrote it from scratch. That held up a lot, I'd figure. Also, scuttlebutt has it that some management type of hire from a while ago seemed to have pushed Jesse to be more profit oriented, to the ire of the previous head developer (I guess there was friction), who then apparently took his toys and went home.

What the heck is the "calculation engine" supposed to be, anyway? How is adding and subtracting numbers complicated in any way, shape, or form?

If someone can explain it to me, that would be great. The basic arithmetic just seems way too trivial to me.

Mr_D
Jan 28, 2001

TheCenturion posted:

Does oldYNAB, or newYNAB, have any sort of transaction log for budgeting?
Like:
2017-01-01 9:00 AM - 1000 bux inflow
2017-01-01 9:30 AM - 500 unassigned bux allocated to Groceries
2017-01-01 9:30 AM - 200 unassigned bux allocated to Booze
2017-01-01 9:30 AM - 100 unassigned bux allocated to Cable and Internet
2017-01-01 9:30 AM - 200 unassigned bux allocated to Savings
2017-01-02 9:00 AM - 50 bux unallocated from Groceries
2017-01-02 9:00 AM - 50 unassigned bux allocated to Restaurants

YNAB shows you your spending, but I can think of times when it might be interesting to see how you're shuffling around your budget, you know?

To my knowledge, no. What you're asking for is basically an audit log of allocations, and depending on how things are written it may be super simple to add.

I'd ask the financier guy if such a thing is feasible. Sorry to be salty, but I doubt Jesse/nYNAB is interested in new features that people want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr_D
Jan 28, 2001

FYI, financier seems to be dead. It'll still work, but don't expect any new features (like scheduled transactions, search, mobile app). The developer is happy with it being "stable" and doesn't intend to do much more than keep the lights on. It's a bummer, but at least I never ponied up my $12 (or even if I did, it's $12).