Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

I've been using YNAB since September. I paid full price for it (minus 6 bucks) and I don't regret that at all.

It's enabled me to use my savings in a more practical way. Instead of just chucking a set amount of money in there per month and dipping into it for all sorts of reasons (and sometimes no reason), it allows me to earmark that money for different things: car insurance, emergency fund, Christmas presents, car maintenance, vacation, and moving expenses for a possible upcoming move.

I also appreciate the benefit of having off-budget accounts. Accounts that I keep off-budget: 401(a), Roth IRA, Auto Loan, Auto Value (for net worth purposes), FSA, and HSA. It's definitely made me keep a better eye on my retirement funds and spurred me to make a few changes in how my funds are invested!

Since I am a salaried employee, my monthly paychecks are pretty much exactly the same. So - I do budget a month or two out - which I know they discourage. I budget what I know my base pay will be - and then add in the extra hours when I see what my paycheck will be. I also get paid on the last day of the month only, so it makes planning a bit easier in that regard.

I also love the Reports feature. Watching my net worth go up since I've started using YNAB has made the sometimes painful process worth it:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Here's how I do my auto loan, maybe this will help you:

Auto Loan itself is an off-budget account.

Payment to Auto Loan is under my Monthly Bills budget master category as Car Payment.

I budget for it what I actually plan on paying. Payment is $299, but I pay $400. So I budget for $400.

When I pay my bill, it is as a "Transfer" from my Checking to the Auto Loan account. Because the Auto Loan is off-budget, you are allowed to assign it a category. Thus it subtracts from the Car Payment category when you transfer the money.

To account for accrued interest, the way I do it is I go to my auto loan provider's website and look for the payoff amount. And make my account in YNAB match it by adding the difference as an outflow transaction I note as Interest in the memo area.

Hope that makes sense.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

The whole point of YNAB is that you only budget money you currently have. It won't become available to budget until you actually put it in your register.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

I have an FSA, which I contribute to out of my paycheck. Since I don't put money in it from my bank account, I have it as an off-budget account.

All of my money for the year became available on Jan. 1, so I did that as an inflow to that account.

Then I just log my purchases as normal.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Monthly Bills
Rent
Car Payment
Roth IRA
Internet
Phone
Electricity
Netflix

Needs
Groceries
Gas
Medical
Haircuts

Wants
Spending Money
Eating Out
Clothing
Gifts

Savings Goals
Emergency Fund
Car Insurance
Car Stuff
Moving Expenses
Vacation

I'm currently fighting the battle of saving for so many things it feels like I don't have enough money to have any fun. My emergency fund is wimpy, my car needs a 60k service soon, I might be moving in June… But I also want to pay an extra 33% on my car payment each month and slowly build my Roth IRA and and and and

:cripes:

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Kind of. Of course, the point of YNAB is to budget money only once you have it.

I budget in YNAB months out in advance, though. I get paid once per month and my pay is almost always exactly the same. There are small variances, but I know how much I will get a few days in advance - so I just tweak it a bit once I know for sure.

This way works much better for me than waiting until I get my pay. I like to see how my various savings goal will build up if I stay on track. Keeps me motivated.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

My HSA is employer funded, so I keep it off-budget and just manually do the transactions. Since it's reimbursement only, I just categorize the reimbursements as income.

For my FSA, funded by me, is also off budget. I contribute a fixed amount like you do, but I just do the transactions manually and don't categorize them. I only really pay for co-pays and prescriptions with it, so it's not a big deal to keep it off-budget.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

HonorableTB posted:

I just bought this and have some questions:

1. I get my salary on the 15th and the last business day of the month (or whatever Friday is closest to those dates if they fall on weekends). My rent is due on the 1st of the month every month, so how should I enter that number? For example, July is already paid off (as evidenced by me not being homeless) but I still have the Rent line item filled out to be "paid" with my next check on the 31st. I haven't entered a transaction for it yet. I added my next check into the transactions list because I am in the habit of budgeting the entire month at once with what I know I will have. Check out my monthly budget:

What am I doing wrong here? I know I should probably have my credit cards and car loan as off-budget but I like seeing the amount I owe decrease each month because it gives me a psychological boost knowing that I'm digging myself out of debt.

I paid the bills on there (phone, credit cards, car loan, power bill, and the money I owe my girlfriend) but they haven't cleared my account yet, but I can see the debits on my bank account page so I consider that money to have already been allocated and doing its job.

Can someone help sort me out? I want to get to Step Four as soon as possible because I am sick and tired of living paycheck to paycheck.

When you get that paycheck on the last business day of the month, do you input it as income for the following month or the current month? I only get paid once a month, on the last business day, and I just allocate it as income for the next month.

And, yeah, while YNAB is all about budgeting only the money you have… I don't totally use it that way. I budget 6 months out because my wage is pretty stable. I budget for the minimum I know I'll get, and the add in the additional once I know what it will be (usually 3 to 4 days before I get paid). I'm like you in that I like to see myself digging out of a hole - and I like to see what it will look like if I stay the course.

Though I would recommend waiting to use YNAB like that until you are completely comfortable using it.

(I would move that Auto Loan off budget, though. And then add the off-budget value of the car as well. You can still see your progress on your net worth report!)

--

I've now been using YNAB for 9 full months!

My assets passed 50k in June! My net worth has climbed, on average, 2k per month!

This month will be a plateau due to the move, but overall I'm making better financial choices than before I started using YNAB. Totally worth it!

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

HonorableTB posted:

Should I open more savings accounts (eg, one for medical/dental, one for vacation, etc?)

No. I mean, you can, but you don't need to.

Here's how it works:

Those are all of my savings goals. You can see how much I budgeted and how much I have saved up for each goal. The number on the top left ($485.35) is how much I need to move into my savings account that month. The number on the top right ($4529.38) is the total balance of my savings account.

It's really helped me out as I have always just thrown money into savings and then used it for whatever. Now all of the money in my savings account has purpose.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

It's mostly frustrating cause I get paid once a month and it's always around 28-29th. I wish I could just set YNAB to start the month on the 28th or something dumb.

So do I… I just put in that income as income for the following month. (ex: I got paid on July 30th, so I put that in as Available for August.)

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Chin Strap posted:

How do you guys budget an FSA account? You sign up for how much is coming out of your account before the start of the year, and at the start of the year you get the entire annual amount available to spend, even though it is only coming out of your paycheck in biweekly payments.

Since it is available immediately, should I just budget it as one big funding for January 1st? The deductions from my paycheck happen automatically, so I'm not worried about tracking that.

Second, how do I account for the fact that the FSA money is not fungible like other accounts? Since I can only spend it on medical stuff, I do not want to be able to reduce the amount there in my budget to add else where. I suppose I just make "FSA Medical (DO NOT TRANSFER FROM)" as the category name and just put the entire year payment in that.

I have my FSA as an off budget account and put my contribution as one funding on January 1st.

To log transactions, I just do outflows that aren't categorized in my budget. This also means I don't account for that spending in my actual budget.

It has worked fine for me so far!

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

I enter transactions about once a week and that seems to work fine. When I was first getting started, though, I did it daily.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

:D

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

I am trying to do this but I include my outstanding mortgage balance in YNAB. :hardmode:

No doubt. I am a renter, so that's important to keep in mind!

You got this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Someone wrote a script that converts YNAB4 from 32-bit to 64-bit, enabling it to be used on newer Mac OS. Provided you still have your key.

Use at your own risk, of course. I didn't write it so I have no idea if it also steals all your information. https://gitlab.com/bradleymiller/Y64/-/blob/master/install