Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

itsdereksmifz
Apr 30, 2019

boop the snoot posted:

Thanks for the tip about putting in a support ticket. I got a really quick response and I am switching from plaid to MX, which I suppose works better with Mastercards (I have a hunch that MX is a Mastercard company?).

I know people hate paying for YNAB but the app has helped me pay down thousands of dollars of debt so I’ve definitely got my money’s worth. The bucket system and zero based budgeting just clicks so well with me.

The quick response to my issue from YNAB helps as well.

e: I guess MX isn't a Mastercard thing and is its own company.

Glad I found this thread!

This is my sentiment.. Eventually I'm sure I will want to migrate to something cheaper. But for someone who just started using YNAB last year.. this app has helped me pay down tons of debt and keep spending in check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itsdereksmifz
Apr 30, 2019

Quick snapshot of the category groups that I have setup.

I try to have a category for every single expense. My subscriptions are each a separate category falling into a 'subscriptions' category group. If it is a fixed expense, I round up to the nearest dollar. This lets me slowly create a buffer without even noticing it. My more variable expenses are just a flat dollar amount. If I underspend for the month, then it takes less for me to fill the line item next month and letting me start getting ahead of expenses. I'm really trying to get some debts paid off as well as getting 1 year ahead of my expenses.

I know there's a lot of folks not so happy with YNAB's constant price increases, but the app has really changed my life and I'll continue supporting their development!

itsdereksmifz
Apr 30, 2019

I may be misinterpreting your use case, but what about the 'Savings Balance' type?

itsdereksmifz
Apr 30, 2019

Schrute Nation posted:

While $80/year is one of my more expensive subscriptions, and has more bells and whistles (read: coaching and podcasts) that I don't use, I'm happy with it. Especially if it translates to paying people to maintain it and continues to keep it working.

this. It has helped me turn my finances around and I will gladly support the devs and their business.

itsdereksmifz
Apr 30, 2019

Harminoff posted:

If anyone wants to feel better about their financial situation I found this cool channel where this guy goes through people's budgets. Pretty entertaining!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D2psZ0GrrQ

Yes. I've been watching this dude for about a month now. The mindsets of some of his guests are fascinating.

itsdereksmifz
Apr 30, 2019

adnam posted:

How fucky is YNAB when importing balances? It's my first time using automation after years of manual importing transactions, and while it was able to pull in my credit card transactions from the last month, the final amount owed is completely off

It will prob be a little "off" for the first bit. I would just maybe do weekly reconciliations until you trust the data. I use automatic transactions for about 85% of my YNAB usage.

itsdereksmifz
Apr 30, 2019

Leon Sumbitches posted:

My favorite feeling is when I get to hide a category. For example, I had several legal expenses last winter and this spring. Now that those are finished, bye bye legal bills category!

I've started spinning up and hiding categories for any type of stuff I want to track. Just went out of state for a wedding, and was able to assign any money spent to that category for a full spending report on my trip. When its all over? hide the category!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itsdereksmifz
Apr 30, 2019

Seeing everyone's categories was one of my favorite parts of the YNAB reddit but its SUPER slow these days.

Here are mine (currently)

Income Sorting
Next Month - Instead of funding a month ahead, i keep a next month category.
CC Cashback/Interest - This includes my HYSA, Tbills and any other random money that comes in

Splurge Funds
Groceries
Dining Out
Entertainment
Misc. - Any fees or random things that don't have a category. If something hits this often, ill make a category.

Savings
Home Down Payment
Travel
Taxes
2 Months Expenses - Again, not a fan of assigning a month or two out. I tried my best funding forward and it just wasn't as impactful to me.

Self
Tattoo
Gym
Supplements
Grooming
Clothes
Medical

Home
Mortgage
Trash
Electric
Internet
Water
Consumables - Soaps, papertowls, TP, etc.
Home Goods - NEW additions to home. New furniture, dishes, decor.

Auto
Car Insurance
Fuel
Maintenance & New Car Fund

Subscriptions
Google
Twitch
iCloud
Spotify
YouTube
NZBGeek
Domain #1
1Password
TickTick
Domain #2
DrunkenSlug
Drogon
Amazon Prime
Opus IPTV
Lumosity
YNAB

Entrepreneurship
Etsy
Crypto
Sports Betting

I use filtered views alot for my day to day review. I have one for monthly bills, non monthly bills, common spending, & living expenses.