Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
How do you budget in expected income so it becomes Available to Budget at top? I just filed my tax returns and I know I'll be getting them in February, and want to pencil in plans for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
We'll that's irksome, kinda makes planning for larger items more difficult. Thanks.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Buying a plane ticket next week. I just got my monthly salary and covering it from my checking account's side is zero problem, but from YNAB's point of view I've already given every dollar from my take-home a job this month.

The tax return will probably get here in the middle of the month.

Basically the tax return is a good boost to my inflow for the month, but it's not part of the regular first-of-the-month paycheck so I can't give its dollars a job in YNAB's world, even though I know what I want to do with it.

I suppose what I could do is make a category for the plane ticket, them when the refund gets here I can divert part of its inflow to that category to balance it out.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Demon_Corsair posted:

If the money is a sure thing and you have enough in your account to cover it now, I would just enter the ticket into your budget, have the category in the red and zero it out when you get your refund.

Yeah this is probably what I'll do. I have enough elbow room in my cash buffer that I can afford the ticket even if I don't get my refund this month so I'm not particularly worried, but the thoughts of "in my mind I'm paying for this with my refund" and "I want to lock in the seat reservation and ticket price before I get my refund" kindof conflict in YNAB's world.

Thanks all for the help.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

The interest rate on my savings account is 0.1%

That's ten times higher than mine :haw:

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

gariig posted:

Technically you are paying for the ticket with your own cash not the refund. You purchase the ticket, record the expense in YNAB, and go negative in the Vacation category. So you remove some cash from your reserves right now to 0 out the balance. When you get the refund you can increase the categories that you borrowed from.

Booked the flight and this is basically what I did. And thanks to YNAB I went from "Hm, can I afford this ticket before I get my refund?!?" to "Yes, I can afford it and here's the evidence." Thanks thread :)

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I'm just throwing my refund under income for whatever month I get it. Speaking of which my refund from California already dropped this morning. Whoa.

Breaking down taxes month by month makes no sense to me in the context of a budget. It's money that was taken out before it got to you so in a sense it was never income at all. I consider all paycheck withholdings off-budget.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
As a counterpoint I go the opposite route, with a separate expense category for Pocket Change. I generally give myself $40 cash (usually cash back from grocery shopping) at the beginning of the week and consider that gone as far as YNAB's concerned, and don't track its spending. It generally goes to coffee or lunch during the work week.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Yeah so um

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
And just to dissent I don't keep track of cash purchases via YNAB because I just can't live my life tracking every drat bagel or tin of Altoids I buy. When I get cash back at the grocery store or ATM I deduct from a Pocket Change category which I budget for each month, and consider that cash basically thrown in the fireplace.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
You bought it this month, it goes in the budget for this month.

Check the video on how credit cards work in YNAB.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Sounds like a good time to start a new hobby.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
You can put all the stuff you're going to put into the savings account into its own category. Then the total amount to transfer is shown at the top of the category.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I take it that includes Credit Karma as well?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Thanksgiving, probably.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
And I'd expect to be pulled from Steam altogether once the downgrade is released. Get it now if you need it, and archive the tutorial videos if possible.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Until it breaks due to some OS upgrade screwing it up. Could be months, could be years.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Yeah mine isn't working with Dropbox either, at least not the iPad version.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I really expected them to use the API switch as and opportunity to kill it. Hats off to them then.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Are credit cards still a train wreck with the new YNAB?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
~~web apps~~

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

For those of you that make manual imports, how often do you do it?

I try to do it weekly but lately life has been chaos and now I'm way behind.

Daily. Every morning seven days a week, after walking the dog and while I’m finishing a nice cup of coffee. Now that I’m on nYNAB I reconcile every day too.

I’ll caveat that I rather enjoy it so I’m just weird.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Weird, it does for me.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

FateFree posted:

By the way - this depends on how the reward was given to you. if it was deposited into your checking account then sure everything works fine. If it credits to the card itself then it won't

Oh, I enter transactions manually; that may be the difference.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I didn't even get an email -- checked my subscription and they just upped the price behind my back. Good job y'all.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
One thing that's starting to piss me off with YNAB is their privacy policy widget can't be acknowledged or otherwise hidden, and it covers up the last couple categories. I have to make dummy categories now just to deal with it.

Been doing this for at least a month now. You'd think they'd notice if they were users of their own software?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Nope!