Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

mrmcd posted:

I mean the whole thing I liked about YNAB versus something like Mint was it wasn't hoovering up all my data and keeping it on a server and selling it to who knows what data mining marketers.

I known the drop box sync is also technically a server in don't control but I can at least see all the files its writing and they're under my account, I can delete them, and its totally optional and not storing passwords or account numbers or anything.

Unless there's some super awesome new features I don't see a reason to upgrade.

We just took on a personal finance education project at work and it's causing me to re-evaluate a lot of my own practices, like checking out YNAB again. This news really put a damper on it. I've read the security brief and privacy policy and there aren't any outright red flags (yet), and I do trust them more than post-takeover Mint but still. I really don't want all this information on someone else's databases.

There's a lot of advantages to the new web model above being able to charge (a not unreasonable but still high) subscription fee, rapid updates, instant cross platform, maybe tighter integration with various banks? I get why they'd want to go this way, even if it pushes the [justifiably] paranoid like myself away.

That said, is there a referral chain or coupon floating around for YNAB4?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU