Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

TraderStav posted:

I have a separate category called "To be reimbursed" and put the charge in there. Then I set the remaining (negative) balance to be carried forward to the next month where I mark the corresponding income as "To be reimbursed" to offset it as if it never happened. Essentially taking it out of the budget but tracking the dollars.

This is the exact way YNAB recommends you do it, and it works well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Just put both of your accounts on-budget, then adjust your budget amounts, then pay bills, record income, and record transactions like normal.

Regardless of YNAB, it's less hassle if you just have one checking account, but you can do it either way.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Slimchandi posted:

I've been tracking expenditure over the last few weeks with YNAB and enjoying getting the extra control. Never had this level of knowledge about how my money was working.

I've set aside a small sum for spending money, but I'm finding it really hard to justify spending it on almost anything. I bought a couple small picture frames but that's about it this month! Is it normal to act in such a spend thrift way when getting started budgeting?

On the other hand, having to consider what is really necessary feels good right now; it makes me weigh up a few small short term impulse purchases against a single medium or long term purchase which probably has greater value to me than the others combined.

As you spend more time budgeting your money, you'll become more comfortable that the amount you've budgeted to every category, including your throw-away-money category, is the right amount.

When you're comfortable with the fact that you've actually budgeted the right amount, you'll be more comfortable spending the money in that category.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

That's why an investigation into how a bank handles indemnifying you is important when choosing a bank account. Don't choose a lovely bank. My credit union will make me whole again within 24 hours of reporting fraud.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Mr_D posted:

Dave Ramsey is a tool, though.

And hey, good on you dreesemonkey for working on YNAB to provide new and useful reports. Per reddit, the new features of YNAB5 that we know about are:

• "The Cloud" so now you can rely on a spotty internet connection to work on your budget
  • Goal tracking, basically a memo field for a budget category
  • Credit card payment management, a feature that becomes less useful the more you use YNAB
  • A monthly paycheck for the developers

I guess there could be something amazing under wraps, but at this point I'm not optimistic.

These all sound like great additions. I'm certainly willing to pay the developers monthly, as long as they've developed a good product. It's very hard to make a business out of selling a one-time cost product like YNAB wherein you get to the point where your application is pretty polished unless you keep adding feature bloat just so you can justify selling a new version every year.

The sooner I can get Adobe Air off my PC the better.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Yeah, I don't see the problem here.

What if they'd released YNAB5 as a desktop app? You'd have to pay for that. And then YNAB6, 7, 8, 9. Or you could've just stuck with YNAB4...exactly like the situation with the web app/subscription thingy.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

myron cope posted:

I'm excited for YNAB 5 because adobe air is trash and ynab 4 is painful. I mean it's a fantastic program, but it's slow as poo poo. And the dropbox sync is nice when it works, but seems to fail a lot.

I agree with this except for the dropbox sync. I've been using it since dropbox sync was introduced and I've never had an issue with it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

CarrKnight posted:

Something I quite don't understand: last month I allocated 700 in the grocery category. I ended up spending only 575.
This month I allocated another 700, but the 125 i saved the previous month have carried over and now my grocery balance is 825. That's annoying, I'd like it to be 700, how do I remove the carrying over? Do I have to screw around with November "budgeted" column so that all the savings go only to the "emergency fund" row?

The idea is that you budget your average spending amount each month. Some months you might spend less and rollover some money, some months you might spend more and use some of your rollover money.

I usually just let rollover stuff ride.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

ilkhan posted:

New YNAB still crap, as far as I know.

First I've heard of this, care to elaborate?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

ilkhan posted:

doesn't let you rollover negative category balances

So how do they expect you to handle reimbursable expenses that span a month boundary?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Note that in the pre-subscription world where YNAB just charged for major updates once a year or so, YNAB is more expensive than in the subscription at $50/year world.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Sure. But I wouldn't be surprised if they have sales on the new product.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

I would pay more for a non-subscription version, absolutely.

Yes, I was just highlighting that the subscription isn't necessarily a bad value. There's other variables to consider besides just the dollar amount paid.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

ilkhan posted:

I bought YNAB 4 for like $15 2 years ago. I haven't had to pay another dime for usage of it.

Your argument isn't very well considered.

I don't think you considered my argument at all since your point isn't applicable.

They obviously ceased development on desktop YNAB a couple years ago to work on a web subscription thing. Prior to that it was around $60/year to continue buying it and since my argument was that in that world, you'd be spending more on YNAB desktop, your argument that in this other world things worked out differently doesn't really bear on my point.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Defenestration posted:

This makes me wonder if there is a difficult divide for the developers to bridge, between making this as easy as possible for people who want a painless way to get their money in order, but also anal-retentive high maintenance capabilities for people who use YNAB for micromanaging accounting

This is an on-going developer/designer headache for decades for all software.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I start fresh every year anyway, which I feel like YNAB recommended at some point anyway.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

The new YNAB is just about perfect for me except for the missing calculator and I'm put off by the hazy security situation.

For me, the bank import is pretty great, because even though I input transactions as they occur, there's two of us, which increases the chance of error, so it's good to be able to reconcile against our bank accounts. The problem in the past has been that it's a hassle to go to our multiple banks websites and download the transaction data and then import it.

I'll give it 6 months and look at it again and see if they've addressed the couple of issues I have with it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Handsome Ralph posted:

OK, enlighten me then?

With regards to bank statements, AFAICT, the difference between nYNAB and YNAB4 is...

YNAB4
1. Enter transactions as they occur.
2. (optional) Occasionally go to bank website and download statement to catch missed transactions.
3. (optional) Import said statement into YNAB.
4. Reconcile to bank balance.

nYNAB
1. Enter transactions as they occur.
2. (optional) Press "import from bank" to automatically get bank statement to catch missed transactions.
4. Reconcile to bank balance.