Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

TV is the thing this year.
Hair Elf
Looks like YNAB is 50% off at http://www.macupdate.com today.

Also I have a question. I've been using YNAB for the past two months. How do you guys handle rollover balances from your categories you underspent? I feel like at the end of the month I will just budget them to zero so the balance doesn't accumulate. Is there a disadvantage to doing this? I would kind of like having a uniform budget over each month and having any rollover go to the available to budget number for the next month, rather than my budget numbers always matching the outflows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

Hair Elf

spincube posted:

I suppose there's no real answer. Instead of entering my fixed monthly bills (e.g. broadband) as their exact to-the-penny amount in the budget, I've rounded them up to the nearest pound. That way there's a nice round figure in the budget, and should prices go up I'll have a little bit put by to absorb the initial price increase. Worst comes to the worst, in about eight, nine years' time I get one bill for free...

and I suppose, in a perfect world, you should be spending from the Balance column anyway. Budget £200 for food, spend £175? I only need to budget £175 next month, so I can assign that spare £25 elsewhere.

I thought about this but if you base budgeting off the balance, then if you underspend like I always try to do, then your budget numbers would slowly fall and that is weird to me to wind up budgeting negative amounts for groceries, etc. I do have a car insurance category I let accumulate in the balance though, but anything under half yearly I feel like I want the rollovers to fall into money to budget next month to just push off into savings or emergency funds. I don't think I have the best grasp on YNAB yet. I used to just have a categorized budget I stuck to each month and as my checking account grew, I would periodically prune the checking extra to savings. In YNAB it feels like the numbers can start to runaway in each category and I just haven't cracked the code to how I want to use it yet, but I do really like it. I'm coming from Ace Budget where I've been typing my transactions immediately into my phone for years so YNAB feels fairly natural except for a few things like this. I think the main difference is previously my monthly budgets weren't linked to each other in any way.

Edit: Maybe I will also add that I am currently living on my savings, so at the moment I'm budgeting one large number without income. This is another thing that feels somewhat awkward to me in YNAB. I've just been letting the "available to budget" number roll over each month to watch it fall. The deferred income suggestion from the YNAB video for this doesn't make sense to me yet.

SimpleCoax fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 29, 2014

SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

Hair Elf

Chin Strap posted:

Am I the only one that doesn't keep separate accounts and just lumps checking and credit cards all together? In order to get real balances I just use mint. I don't bother with off balance accounts either. Again I just use mint.

Only issue is cash purchases can slip through but those are rare for me anyway.

Yes you are the only one. It sounds like you just use Mint.

SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

Hair Elf

KariOhki posted:

Credit cards still somewhat confuse me, especially because my statements run from around the 20th of each month to the next. Stuff on them has never balanced right and I never can find where it falls off. Is it worth it to see if I can change the statement dates to end on the 1st of every month or something, or is another way recommended? My non-credit accounts balances just fine, of course. Yeah I've watched the video, and it still confuses me.

Does it not balance because of having to pay interest on the card?

SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

Hair Elf

baby puzzle posted:

Is there a guide for how to actually enter every single dumb transaction? Do you do it all daily? Weekly? As you spend? What happens if you forget to budget for a month or two?

With the phone app I do it right after almost every transaction and refuse the receipt. I just have one bank account and spend from checking so it's easily a five minute process reconciling on the weekend. I'm starting to feel like I want to invest or something now because YNAB has gotten kind of boring.

SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

Hair Elf
I enter as I go on my phone most of the time. It gets to be a habit. I reconcile at least every weekend and only have like 10 transactions each week to verify and I miss a lot but I just type them in at that point. I have checking, cash, and a credit card and off budget savings. I enter automatic payments as I see them show up each week. I get bored with how simple my stuff is to reconcile and just try to gain new perspectives with reports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

Hair Elf

Karthe posted:

And now it's my turn for a question. It's the first of the month, which means it's time to address some overspending. How do you guys handle it? Do you siphon out excess from the categories that have them, then apply it to the categories you might have overspent? Or do you leave it all and make adjustments in the current month's budget until Overbudgeted is back to $0?

I refactor my budget numbers every week and just roll with it. I balance everything to zero at the end of the month and then I pick up any slack with a single savings category to get the big green number to zero. If I underspent, which I basically always should, anything left over is a transfer to savings. If I overspent, I transfer from savings. Then everything is zero. I used to carry over when I paid car insurance every six months though. This means I use YNAB mostly to just be aware of my spending, but I find I have a tendency to want to maximize that final savings sum each month.