Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuckfard
Dec 9, 2003

Just chillin
I just started YNAB this year, here is what my wife and I have setup:

Monthly Bills (listed in order of when they are due)
Car insurance
Hulu
Pet Insurance
Cable/Internet
Water/Trash
Renters Insurance
Netflix
Proactive
Electricity
Gas
Cell Phone
Rent

Adjustable Expenses (not actually adjusted that often, not sure why we call it this)
Groceries
Wife Gas
Me Gas
Wife Spending (spending money is whatever we want it to be, be it eating out, a bar, personal stuff. At the moment it's $250 a month each, sort of all like a catch-all category)
Me Spending
Business expenses (this one changes a lot. My wife makes a decent amount of money on Etsy, but it requires some expenses, we just mark them here and adjust the budget. I'm sure there's a better way to do this.)

Yearly expenses (this is what we call those things that come up every so often, so we save an amount that we worked out for each based on what we spent on them last year)
Auto (this covers maintenance, registrations and inspections, oil changes, and my yearly scooter insurance)
Travel Family (to see our parents)
Travel Fun (luxury type trips)
Medical
Teaching Expenses
Gifts

Savings Goals
House
New Car

Debt
Student Loan

We're planning on adding clothes and haircuts, either to our personal budgets or a new item. Most likely new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuckfard
Dec 9, 2003

Just chillin

spwrozek posted:

I would hate to pay this monthly. Also don't you get a nice discount for paying 6 months or a year at a time? I save about $100 by paying for the entire year at once.

Yes, about 5 bucks a month (at least). Just sort of got into the habit and didn't do it last cycle. Need to do it next time, though, and by then we'll have plenty of buffer for it.

LogisticEarth posted:

How much are we talking about here? If it's regularly significant, I would say just keep it off the family budget and treat it like a separate business entity, with a separate off budget bank account. Depending on how involved you get with it, she might want to only pay out "income" to your YNAB budget as it's available, and keep the rest as capital for future business stuff. Any "investment" in the business from your checking or whatever would be an outflow from YNAB.

That was originally the exact plan when she started up last year, we were just awful last year and following through with financial plans (among other things, like combining our accounts). We're in the process of making that change, though. She'll have her business account that starts with xx amount of money, and at the end of each month, anything over that amount will get transferred to the main account as income.

tuckfard fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Feb 19, 2014