Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
A really handy trick for not using ynab through steam. If you open the steam version and go to I believe help -> about ynab, you can get your serial. If you then download the stand alone version from the ynab site you can plug that serial into it. voila. no more firing up steam every time you want to budget and it doesn't end up as one of your most played games.

YNAB was a game changer for me. I did ... ok with spreadsheets, but always slip on something or another. Now I always know what I have put aside for what. My strategy is to have a ton of categories for all sorts of things that I put 20-50$ into every paycheque. I have a category for dog food, one for steam games, one for costco. Any semi regularly happening purchase that doesn't happen on a schedule.

Edit: Here are all my different categories. Things and stuff were my weekly spending funds in my old spreadsheet system. I tried having week 1 groceries, week 2 groceries, but I didn't like it. I also tried combining gas and car, but since I want to keep the car fund in savings it seemed like it would get confusing fast. The goal of all the rainy day categories is to reduce/remove the generic other category and get better reporting on where my money is actually going. I added a buffer savings goal, because I like to spend down to 0 every month, so socking the money away in there until I have a full months income set aside seemed like the way to go .

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

If the money is a sure thing and you have enough in your account to cover it now, I would just enter the ticket into your budget, have the category in the red and zero it out when you get your refund.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

dreesemonkey posted:

I agree. We're pretty good typically at not touching our savings, it's just been different the last 3 months while my wife has been off. We might be overthinking things but we've added new categories like:

- "Fun with friends" - Bachelor party coming up, wife is going on a wine weekend with her friends
- "Entertaining" - Beer or pizza or grilling out etc that we should have to take a hit to the grocery budget or something
- "Large purchase" - We'd like to buy a recliner sometime, last month I bought a new blender, etc

I think I need to be more granular because I don't care if we spend the money for something, so long as we've planned for it. I just hate robbing our grocery budget if I decide to have some friends over for grilling and beer, for instance.

I just have a generic other category for random one off stuff that doesn't really fit anywhere else.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

What is the best way to handle credit card rewards in YNAB? I have a card that gives me 1% back, but as a credit on my statement.

If I mark that as income in YNAB, there doesn't seem to be a good way to track it as income tied to a specific account.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Amused Frog posted:

As long as it's income you've entered on the card account, then it shouldn't matter that the income isn't "tied" to anywhere as it reduces the amount that you need to transfer to that card when your statement comes in. It's not like Amazon vouchers tied to your account that you can't use to pay your tax bill or something.

It reduces the amount I need to transfer, but doesn't change the amount I have budgeted and then transacted. Say I have spend $200 on a credit card in 3 different categories, they have been budgeted and are now all down to 0. I get a $50 credit on my statement. I pay the CC and now have a $50 just kind of floating around. I can't count it as regular income since I can't "spend" it on and debit, cash or other cc transactions.

I guess I could just put that money into the existing Pre YNAB CC debt category as a positive when reconciling, and then drawn down on that by moving that surplus to a category when I make a transaction from that card.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

I do my best to log transactions as they happen, then I reconcile as I get paid.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

To anyone using the new YNAB, is it worth making the switch from 4?

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

The announcement of the Alexa integration pushed me to try out financier.io. Stuff like that vs adding in missing features really seems to highlight where their priorities are. Seems like nynab will never really catch up to 4

Gonna take me so long to reset everything up though. :emo:

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

God drat it. I just finished remaking my budget in financier.

Except I can't figure out how to clear my existing credit card balances. Put in the initial balance, and then entered the transfer to the cc account when I actually paid it, but now I have the pre-financier debt categories which it wants me to pay again.

Can't figure out how to move the money to the cc debt category instead of a transfer to the cc account.

Edit: Does financier support recurring transactions like ynab4 does?

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Nov 20, 2016

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

I find try that I fall behind every couple of months in my transactions. Makes doing my budget a lovely grind. To the point where I have done 3 of my 4 accounts, but am now dreading manually entering data from my main credit card.

Almost makes me want nynab for the account syncing...

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Nynab is definitely not for me. I definitely use ynab "wrong". I'm onto rule four, and since I do everything on credit credit card, I will frequently drop categories into the red knowing that I have enough in reserve to cover the bill when it comes due. Then when I do my next month's budget just balance everything back out.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

FateFree posted:

What do you guys use scheduled transactions for? I mean I have recurring things but I don't see why I would care to put them in as scheduled things rather than just wait around for my bank to import those charges since they are budgetted anyway. Whats the benefit?

Ynab4 doesn't have import so I use it for any recurring bill that doesn't change. No point manually entering my car insurance every month when I can do it once then just mark it approved from there.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Went to bite the bullet and try out NYAB because android has started throwing warnings that the classic app is too old, and my credit card won't import. That really seems to be the big selling point of the new version and I can't use it for half my cards.

Hopefully there are some other features worth the recurring fee. I'm surprisingly hesitant and bitter about being forced to switch over to the new version.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

FateFree posted:

You can open a ticket, they helped me a few times, they might have to switch you to a different import provider.

I just went with manual upload and I'm ok with that.

Wow, they removed so many features. I can't reconcile to a specific date. You can't autofill a category with last months amount. I keep balancing my credit cards, then balancing everything below it, which throws them out of whack and there seems to be no easy way to correct it besides doing it manually?

If the android app is still stable, I think I'm going back to classic.

E: Not being able to right click on line items was killing me.

Later Edit: The bank that won't auto import into NYNAB but will manually import, won't manually import into old YNAB. I just can't win.

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Apr 15, 2020

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

I see why everyone hates on credit cards in New YNAB. What am I doing wrong here.

1. I set the previous month's balance as the starting amount.
2) I imported my transactions which included the payment for the starting amount.
3) I tagged all the transactions to my categories.

Now both credit cards have nonsensical amounts in their line items in the budget. One is positive and one is negative.

Should I have not set the previous balance and just reconciled afterwards?

E: If I remove the starting amount and add it as a reconciliation transaction I get a different wrong number in my budget.

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Apr 15, 2020

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

uXs posted:

Adding a previous balance and then trying to import transactions seems like the wrong way to go. It's better to just set the current balance and go from there.

If it's still wrong, you should try posting actual numbers and transactions so we can tell exactly what's going on.

If I don't have the starting balance then my account ends up positive, since the previous balance I paid off is more then that month's spend. And it has the benefit of making the budget line item even more out of whack. And removing the starting balance from my other account has taken it from $400 positive to $200 negative. Which doesn't line up to anything.

I know I should just make them checking accounts, but now I want to understand how they work since it makes no sense.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

So I adjusted my budget to cover those mystery amounts for the first month (I'm backdating the budget to January) and then plugged in my transactions for Feb. Still get about -$2k across both accounts. Both are paid off in full every month and all transactions are categorized. This was never a problem in old YNAB.

What internal math do the credit card accounts do to come up with these numbers?

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Yea, that seems like the best option.

At this point I don't think new YNAB adds enough value to bother switching away from the old one where credit cards just work.

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Apr 15, 2020

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

With new YNAB, how do you handle getting paid to next months budget? Are you just supposed to keep that floating in your To be budgeted" amount?

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

uXs posted:

When are you getting paid exactly?

I get paid on the 15th and 30th. And with old YNAB I was able to say that was for next months budget. So today's pay cheque would be available for May's budget but not April.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

uXs posted:

You can add the transaction as normal, then go to May, and budget it there. If you then go back to April you'll see that it didn't add your 'May' money to April.

Alternatively, if you don't want to make your budget for May when it's still the middle of April, you can first budget everything from your middle of the month paycheck into a 'holding' category.

Then when the end-of-month check arrives, remove everything from holding again, and then do your budgeting for May.

I will probably just go with the second option, and just have a category that has 1 months pay in it as a "float". I know that as long as that to budget number isn't 0 I will allocate it. I have been using YNAB for too long not to.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

I'm back to ask about the state of new YNAB again. I've been doing the kind of janky bulk imports into ynab4 and it works ...ok. So I'm wondering once again if it's worth switching to nYNAB.

Or if there are any good competitors that are getting up to feature parity.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

nwin posted:

Not to hijack-but is there any way to download YNAB4 for iOS so I don’t have to pay for it? I’m using nYNAB now but I don’t auto import.

I'm not sure. I have it installed on my PC through steam.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Is there any easy way to catch ynab back up after an absence? I haven’t used it for more then a year, and don’t want to have to manually upload and tag the data for that period.

But I also don’t want to have to make a new budget and recreate all my existing categories. Although that’s probably the better option at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

I had forgotten how janky the csv import is in ynab4. Maybe it's time to bit the bullet and move to nynab