Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

lmao zebong posted:

Right now I just have a general Food category that takeout, groceries, Starbucks etc all gets put into. I'm still pretty new to YNAB so I don't really want to pull out Restaurants/Takeout from this general Food category until I have a better feel of what the groceries/takeout ratio is. Is there a way for me to see in the Reports page how much of a category got spent on each if I put "Groceries" or "Takeout" in the memo field or something like that? Or should I just go ahead and break out Restaurants and adjust the budget accordingly?

Just break it all out. Take whatever money you have budgeted, make a guess, and adjust from there. It's OK if you have to move money around a bit as you're zeroing in on your usual spending rates. That's a part of the process.

Eating out is one of those nebulous black holes that people end up blindly overspending on so it's my personal opinion that it's imperative to split up Groceries and Restaurants. Personally I do groceries, then put take-out and eat-in both under "restaurants", and the occasional sandwich at lunch gets logged under my spending money. The latter has especially helped cut down on unneeded "combo meal" bloat when grabbing quick lunches.

LogisticEarth fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jan 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

book of blue posted:

For tracking cash, I just count it as the account it came from. Pull $80 from chequing? Log all the cash purchases you make in the chequing account. Your balance will be a bit off for a couple days, but if you're following your budget, you're not going to go over.

I would disagree and suggest having a cash account. Logging cash as checking will cause issues when it comes time to reconcile. It's also tricky if you get cash gifts or if, say, you split a bill with a friend and they reimburse with cash. I just keep it simple by rounding up to the next whole dollar amount when logging, dumping all my change into a jar, then cashing the jar in every so often. Backdoor savings! :haw:

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

ilkhan posted:

People still carry cash?

I've seen people asking this for like 20 years now. Yes, people still carry cash, and they will for the foreseeable future. There are many cash-only businesses, I prefer to tip in cash, and it just make stuff easier to be able to drop someone hard bills instead of having a waitress split up a dozen credit cards if you're with a group of people. I kind of feel like it's responsible to keep at least like $20-100 on you as a matter of habit just so you're not stuck.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Gripen5 posted:

I kinda want to close out the transaction one way or the other. Is past 30 days pretty much mean I did get a free lunch?

I had some ghost charges last year that still haven't been submitted to my bank. The short answer is that no, you (probably) did not get a free lunch. Whenever the retailer get around to charging the transaction it might show up. Or they might have just missed it entirely. Make a note of it somewhere and keep enough in your emergency account to cover it.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Chin Strap posted:

One slight modification that helps me enter things easily, I round up to the nearest dollar when paying with cash, and just throw change into a jar. Whenever I cash that jar out it is marked as income. This way I only need to remember that I spent $2 on a soda instead $1.83 or whatever.

This is a great method that I use as well. Hooray passive savings!

ilkhan posted:

I don't have a cash account because I don't carry cash. If they accept credit they get credit, if they don't accept credit they get debit, and if they don't accept debit either they get to watch me walk back out.

Considering how easy it is to carry a few bills if you're already carrying cards, I never get this. Why not just use a simple and ubiquitous tool? I always have cash on me, and it makes my life so much easier.

Credit card machine down? Cash. Sharing a bill with a friend? Cash. Non-restaurant tipping? Cash. Forgot your EZPass on the highway? Cash. It's a backup, and hard to see how useful it is until you make a habit of carrying it so it's there when you need it.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Personally I just keep a single month budgeted for regular fixed expenses, and the excess just goes into "emergency fund". I also have other buffers for variable categories like medical, fuel, car repair, etc. that build up over time. But rent? No reason to build it up specifically in that category. Know what amount you need for your emergency fund, and shoot for that number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

This may be a common question, but I've been using YNAB4 for several years now and am waiting for it to eventually not work anymore. I pretty much refuse to move to a subscription-based service as 1) that's more money down the drain 2) I loathe the modern state of software/apps where developers roll out new updates and boneheaded UI decisions, making you relearn everything at random 3) I'm also avoiding broswer based stuff.

So, if and when YNAB4 "breaks", what else is out there?