Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
I'm just getting started with YNAB with the immediate goal of paying off all credit card and student loan debt ASAP. The CC is set up as a Budget Account and the student loan as an Off-Budget Account. I'm going to still be using the credit card for upcoming purchases (for which I'll budget), and I've watched the video on handling credit cards in YNAB.

If I know I'll have a $400 auto insurance bill in April (paid every 6 months) should I be budgeting $400/5 for the month of December? Or should I budget $0 for auto insurance and put that money towards the pre-YNAB credit card debt?

edit: working through the videos and it seems that my question is answered by asking myself "What does this money need to do before I get paid next" as well as the idea of budgeting only what you have available by prioritizing: immediate needs, bills, then rainy day funds

Easychair Bootson fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
I have a question about Rule 3. The idea is that you have flexibility in your budget, so if you have an unexpected expense that causes you to go over your budget in that category, you simply reassign money from other categories where you may have a little extra budgeted.

So the onus is on the budgeter to borrow responsibly, yes? It would be easy to borrow from savings instead of reducing the discretionary categories to cover it. Is it just a matter of priorities, and making certain categories off-limits except for dire emergencies?

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

tuyop posted:

Well, yeah. Certain things obviously shouldn't be borrowed from, like your phone bill. Other things, like your giant tire/car repair category, can probably be replenished by cutting other expenses next month. That's how we run it, anyway.
Yeah, I suspect some of these things will become clear after a couple of budget cycles. Such as, if you've got $50 left on your booze budget and you're getting paid tomorrow, do you carry that $50 through and budget that much less for the next period, or do you reassign that $50 to savings or something and then budget normally for the next period? Does it even matter?

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

GreatGreen posted:

I currently use a credit card to buy pretty much everything, I use it to pay all my bills, etc. I pay it in full every month and have zero ongoing debt for it. How would you guys recommend I record this kind of spending in YNAB?

http://www.youneedabudget.com/support/video/handling-credit-cards-in-ynab

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
Easy question here. I've got the following currently in a couple of categories:

pre:
             budgeted         balance
clothing        75               85
spending        50              150
I budget $75/mo towards clothes and $50/mo towards discretionary. My wife wants to buy some clothes that will total about $155. Is the best way to go about this to go back in previous months and budget some of that spending money towards clothing? Obviously I could just record the transaction as a split, but then my reporting would be off.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
Excellent, thanks to both of you.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
http://www.youneedabudget.com/support/article/flexible-spending-accounts

Personally I just keep my HSA as an off-budget account and don't log any transactions that are paid from it. It only exists in YNAB so I can keep an eye on the balance. I do lose the ability to see my medical expenses in YNAB's reporting but I can live with that.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
I've watched the "handling credit cards" video a couple of times but I'm still having trouble wrapping my head around things. We use the card day-to-day and currently can't pay the full balance. Well, we could, but that money is budgeted for other things in YNAB. My statement begins/ends around the 15th of the month. The statement that I just received looks like:

Previous balance: $6257
Payments/credits: $(4355)
Purchases: $2177
Interest: $9.64
New balance: $4088

I must not have calculated the December payment amount correctly because otherwise I wouldn't have been charged interest on purchases, since I would have been paying for purchases plus some to pay the balance down, right?

I've got $750 allocated to pre-YNAB debt for January. The YNAB method to calculate my payment says to take the balance and subtract the pre-YNAB debt balance, aka the amount I can't afford to pay: $4088-2344=$1744. This is way too low and obviously doesn't include the purchases (which have been budgeted for) that will be made for the rest of January. What am I doing wrong here?

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

ilkhan posted:

Paying for your new purchases doesnt avoid paying interest. The interest gets recorded like any other purchase. The amount you send should be purchases for the month plus interest for the month plus whatever your budgeted pay down amount is.
Sorry, I left out a detail: a chunk of the balance ($2570 as of the current statement) is from a previous transfer that's at 0% interest. So my goal is to pay for all purchases plus put $750 towards the preexisting debt. Do I just need to wait until January 31 and make a payment based on the balance at the time?

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
Interest rate is 7.24%. Here's what December's statement looked like:

Previous balance: $8065
Payments/credits: $(6970)
Purchases: $4147
Interest: $14.57
New balance: $6256

... and that statement showed $2653 as being the portion at 0%, so since the current statement shows that as $2570 it appears as though I did cover all of my purchases. So I'm guessing that there's no grace period as ilkhan said.

This may cause me to shift my YNAB strategy a bit. I guess I could start putting everything on another card that I'd pay in full, and just pay my $750/mo towards the $2570.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Crack posted:

Is YNAB right for me?
Nope. Sounds like you need something geared towards small business.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

IllegallySober posted:

I had a $1000 emergency fund separate from any bank account that I had not accounted for anywhere in YNAB because I didn't want to think about or see that money- I wanted to pretend as if it didn't exist. However, last week, my car broke down and I had to use $500 of that money to repair the car. How do I now account for this transaction in YNAB? And how do I then go about replenishing that emergency fund in YNAB? Do I create a new category and then hide it when I've replenished it or something? Please talk me through this like I am a small child. :)
Why not keep it in YNAB but in an off-budget account? It keeps it out of your budget until you need it, and then you can transfer it in. To replenish it, create a budget line item and put $100/mo or whatever into it. I guess for some reason you want to actually transfer the money out of your bank account? That seems unnecessary and counter to what YNAB helps you do, so maybe reconsider your method. Remember that your account balances aren't what matter, it's your budget category balances that you look at.

quote:

Second question- is there somewhere I can go to run detailed reports for all transactions categorized under a certain category? I have one category where I'm paying a bill and receiving portions of this bill back from friends on a monthly basis and I'm pretty sure I screwed something up because the category is showing I have far more money available to spend than I believe I actually have and now I'm trying to reconcile that.

Reports > By Payee > select your payees and run report > click on the graph (pie chart thing) for a list of transactions

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

you ate my cat posted:

Currently, the Budgeted column shows $150 for January, Activity is $0, and Available is $150. My To Be Budgeted is in the negative at the moment since I'm waiting for another paycheck to cover fixed expenses.
I haven't used nYNAB but this doesn't sound kosher unless they completely changed the philosophy along with to the software. Rule 1 is (or was) to give every dollar a job, and that means prioritizing. So why would you prioritize wedding expenses over rent (for example)?

I should add that I haven't looked into how nYNAB handles the concept of goals (although I have a general idea of the concept), but shouldn't you fund your fixed expenses before funding those goals?

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
You are of course free to use the tool as you see fit, but the YNAB way is to assign money that you already have based on priorities. "What do I most need these dollars to do before I get paid again?"

you ate my cat posted:

I'm not saying that I am saving before fixed expenses are covered
That's what you're doing, though.

quote:

Unfunding most of my savings goals would put me back in the black, but I'd just have to go back in on Friday and re-fund them when my direct deposit hits.
That's the "correct" way to do it.

The wife and I get paid twice monthly (15th and last day of the month). Before we were on Rule 4 we'd get our December 31st paychecks, classify them as income for January, and I'd fund the mortgage category, any fixed expenses that are due in the first half of the month, I'd partially fund stuff like groceries, fuel, etc., and ignore or partially fund stuff like Christmas savings. When we'd receive our January 15 paychecks they're also classified as income for January, and that would be used to fund the car payment, the rest of groceries and fuel, and our savings categories.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Grumpwagon posted:

How do people handle medium sized intermittent purchases? My fiancee is thinking about buying a new phone. We don't buy them that often, and not in a predictable pattern (she's at 3 years since her last new one, I'm almost at 2 1/2). Normally I'd set aside some money every month, but I think if I had the money saved to buy a new phone at 2 years, I'd buy one. Whereas if I don't set aside money, there's always the chance it breaks or something.

Sounds like the pattern is predictable enough to throw $x per month into a category so you have enough money to buy new cell phones around the 3 year mark. Personally, I have been putting back $50/mo towards "Electronics" to cover cell phones, TVs, computers, etc. I don't mind grouping non-essential stuff like that into a category, whereas I have different categories for home maintenance and car maintenance, rather than just having a huge "emergency fund."

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
Yeah, I do that with my retirement accounts, which are off budget. At the beginning of each month when I allocate my budget I go to each retirement account and hit reconcile, enter the account's current balance, then "finish," and allow YNAB to create the adjustment transaction.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Slimy Hog posted:

When I was first starting out I found it super helpful to look at other people's categories, so I'll share mine here:

Agreed; having good categorization is pretty critical to making YNAB work as a system. This is ours (a couple of DINKs). I've been using YNAB 5 years or so.

Housing
- mortgage
- homeowners insurance
- property taxes
- maintenance
- interior improvement
- exterior improvement

Utilities
- phone
- internet
- elec/water/san
- natural gas

Food/Drink/Household
- groceries
- cleaning and non-food grocery (basically non-food stuff that we buy at the grocery store)
- restaurants
- alcohol
- household goods
- seasonal (decorations, Halloween costumes, etc.)

Transportation
- car maintenance
- car insurance
- car registration
- fuel
- fares/tolls/rentals
- bicycle
- car replacement

Entertainment
- netflix
- spotify

Health
- medical/dental
- Rx / meds
- gym
- hair/cosmetics/hygiene
- massage/PT
- running

Personal
- clothing, me
- clothing, wife
- spending, me
- spending, wife
- dues/subscriptions
- personal articles insurance

Pets
- food, treats
- vet/meds
- toys, etc.

Savings
- Roth, me
- Roth, wife
- electronics (includes cell phone replacement)
- vacation
- savings goal #1

Giving
- christmas
- bday/anniversary
- gifts, other
- charitable

We've bought a lot of big-ticket items this year and depleted a lot of those accounts that were built-up. I feel like I'm "broke" and then I look at how much money we actually have in our checking accounts in addition to being able to meet our savings goals. Then I think about where we were before YNAB and I realize that we're doing okay.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Dancing Peasant posted:

I got it fixed. Uninstalling/reinstalling/resyncing worked. And even though I mentioned the YNAB4 app was no longer in the App Store, it’s still shows up as Purchased on my account and can be downloaded.

I spent a good chunk of the day exploring alternative apps (EveryDollar, Aspire Budgeting, Budgetwise, etc.) in case this didn’t work out.

In any case, god bless YNAB4.

My YNAB4 hasn't synced in forever and having just upgraded to IOS 14.2 the app wouldn't open, as you described. I deleted it (and my data), but how can I reinstall since it's not in the app store? I found my purchase history and the YNAB4 "purchase" way back in 2014 but could not find a way to install. Am I overlooking it, or am I screwed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Dancing Peasant posted:

I don’t want to say it’s the latter but if you don’t see the download button as shown circled below in your purchase history then that might be the case.

Thanks, I figured it out when I saw your screenshot. I had been looking at the purchase history under Settings, rather than clicking my generic avatar in the App Store and finding apps not on the phone. 90 seconds later I was installed and synced 👍