Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Thermopyle posted:

So how do they expect you to handle reimbursable expenses that span a month boundary?
Probably by shoveling it into the "To Be Budgeted" income category. There's no more this/next month.

Either way, I'm on the new version for a few weeks now. It's pretty OK for what's available. Given that it's a web app, it's rather attractive and functional. If you run it in Chrome as "app" without the browser chrome (by making desktop shortcut and opening as its own window), it looks pretty much like a regular desktop app. However it isn't feature complete yet. Mainly the reports aren't enabled yet, and the inline calculator isn't functional, either. Might change on Dec 30th, but I don't know, they're not saying anything about it on the forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Defenestration posted:

This is crucial to my budget.
Given how upset people are about the lack of it and that it's still in development, it may come back. Especially with eventually allowing import of YNAB4 data, which would gently caress over the whole budget if that option isn't available.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

nYNAB comes with a 34 day trial, too. Try it first before being dramatic. --edit: It only requires an email address. If it sucks this time, use another address to retry half a year later.

As far as reimbursement expenses go, does it kill anyone to front them the first time and then reallocate them in the budget this or next month, whenever you get them reimbursed? It's just a numbers game. And practically exactly what happens in your wallet.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Dec 29, 2015

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

What's mildly annoying for me is that scheduled transactions are fixed now. There's no more option to pull its current instance into the register. Apparently I have to bow to the masters of time instead of my own decision when to pay it. Either that or start fiddling around editing the scheduled transaction every drat time.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Not sure how the ability to quickly override the schedule of an instance is micromanaging. Bills may arrive early, as they do often enough, and someone may want to pay them before the one scheduled in nYNAB enters the register on its own. If you edit the date of a scheduled transaction in nYNAB to a present or past date, it becomes "unscheduled". --edit: Just for the record, it was possible to do exactly that in YNAB4.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 30, 2015

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

spincube posted:

However, I can also see people using this as a crutch - nYNAB and your bank are talking to each other now, why spend the time to sit down for half an hour at the weekend to glance over the figures? It'll wait until tomorrow, next week, well any time you get a free moment because you're so BUSY these days, [accept all transactions] what the hell it all looks good.
If the matching works properly, it'll autocategorize your expenses and all income will be to be budgeted. Ideally, regardless of direct import or not, you'd be looking up the YNAB mobile app on whether you can afford something or not when you're on the go.

--edit: Oh right, today is release day. Let's see what changed.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 30, 2015

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Apparently they're going to be planning a "desktop app".

Given from what I remember from past discussions and posts on the YNAB forums and that AMA on reddit, it's likely going to be the web app on a HTML runtime. In the case of Windows, I suppose it might become an Universal Windows App, since you can make those with HTML+JS, too, and the easiest way to distribute. On a Mac probably packing it on a custom portable browser. The Linux guys will probably have to fiddle apart one of the two and hack things together. Supposedly going to be offline capable, similar to the mobile app.

--edit:
Speaking about offline... as if on cue. :rolleyes:

--edit2:
Now a message about a new version. I suppose _now_ is release day.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Dec 30, 2015

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Another bump in the road: Apparently the multimonth budget view isn't coming back anytime soon.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

CEO did an AMA on reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ynab/comments/3z1zps/im_jesse_mecham_founder_of_ynab_and_this_is_a/

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Handsome Ralph posted:

So long as 4 continues to work, I'll keep using it. And if it never gets a viable replacement and stops working, I'll just create an excel worksheet to keep budgeting.
It'll never stop working on the desktop. Only the mobile apps may break. And if the desktop changes so much it'll break the AIR runtime, toss it in a VM.

themaninblack posted:

Since no one responded to my last post, is Quicken well regarded? Would it be the best alternative?
Quicken works mostly just for tracking. While they have a budget module, it's a piece of work. That and Intuit is looking for a buyer to ditch Quicken. That says something about its future.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Reports are aimed for release at Q2/16.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

lol someone's so mad about the new ynab version they're starting a project to make an open source alternative.

I love when this happens, I'm going to follow it and watch as it very likely peters out and goes nowhere.
Link/What's it called? For the rare case it may turn out something competent that I can selfhost.

--edit: Wait, I think I spotted the relevant thread in the personalfinance subreddit.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 8, 2016

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/3ytj3r/alternatives_to_ynab/cygktz8

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Well, here's the GitHub related to another user revolt. Not that there's anything to be found, but good for a bookmark.

http://budgetfirst.github.io/

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Was there from the beginning. Also, if a category is in the negative, it does it the other way and asks you from which category it should draw funds from.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Toolkit for YNAB is a nice extension to add some poo poo to nYNAB. Notably the "Days of Buffering" metric, which calculates how much you can last on your money with your ongoing spending habits. Which makes kind of more sense tham AoM.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Earlier versions of the toolkit development versions had issues with the graphs, because apparently nYNAB does quite a bunch of internal transactions that are hidden away from the user. I'm glad that's taken care of. Kind of annoying that they can spin a quick Net Worth report on the side, without proper access to the backend, while the YNAB team can't. You'd think they'd throw out a bunch of bits like this, to appease the critical voices, instead of insisting on a complete solution to deliver.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

If you pay off your credit card every month, their new handling is a pain in the rear end. I have mine set up as normal account and transfer money end of the month. Everything I put in it gets immediately substracted from the respective budget categories, and the end of month transfer is just a technicality.

The problem I had with their new handling was that when I deleted or moved transactions, their automagic credit card budget line didn't update, and I've ended up with weird rear end amounts pre-budgeted, that needed manual adjustments. I started with YNAB a month before it was public, but I never saw anything in the patch notes that indicated changed behavior. Personally, I find it confusing.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Even if you don't pay off everything by end of the month, and even if you have some debt to pay off, in my opinion you should make the effort to deal with a little more hands on. You set up a budget to prevent overspending to begin with, and then plan for yourself how much of the remainder of your income you want to use for paying off, budget that, and transfer everything end of the month with the credit card payment. It may involve breaking a calculator every month to make to make sure the two transfers reflect the proper values inside YNAB (actually the split transaction tool should be able to help you with this, IIRC), but it beats the web app doing some five dimensional algebra leaving you confused as gently caress, needing to figure out what the gently caress and adjust anyways.

I suppose their idea of the credit card payment budget category was to automate finding aforementioned values without breaking a sweat, but it needs improvement. If you don't have a financial cushion to stop touching charging your indebted cards, in my opinion, it would make more sense to get another low APR card and use it strictly against your budget and pay it off in full every month, and stop using the others except for paying them off.

I don't even get the thing about credit cards. Here in Europe, we usually use debit cards, or whatever you call it, which makes way more sense. No money in the account, no pay (technically, altho you can set up to overdraw). The only reason I even have a credit card is because Internet. Can't buy poo poo all over the world on the web without it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

If you pay each month in full, create a regular account for your credit card.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The above, i.e. don't use the credit card account for credit cards you don't pay off in partials. And go install the Toolkit for YNAB extension, if you're using Chrome.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

It's a non-issue, because it gets added to your networth and reduces it accordingly, since the money has indeed already been spent. Paying off the card end of the month is just a numbers game.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

They announced a new "calculation engine" just recently. That combined with the fact that they've considered in the past on recanting the not rolling over negative values, maybe it'll be coming back soon enough.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Budget your next month.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Yeah, it's an unlucky design. My "Funds for [month]" displayed are always twice of what I earn, because it's what's remaining from last month (which I wanted to budget this month) plus this month's paychecks. IMO they should split it into "Funds from Last Month" and "Funds for This Month".

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

They want to dump all your monies into a single income category, so don't expect it to come back. Less complexity, if you don't need to schedule things. The Last/This month split would just be simple accounting bullshit the web app needs to do anyway.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

gbaby posted:

Looking to start using YNAB - should I buy the $60 steam version or are the features in the subscription version worth it?
The major differences are that there aren't reports yet in nYNAB and that it pools all income into a single pool to draw from instead of explicitly moving it to the next month. Latter made some people upset, but unless you budget your current month beyond your means, the end result is the same, because the remainder of the money pool still ends up next month. But considering the sort of questions about money I keep reading in the YNAB forums, people got mad about it because same people suck at math and money.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

overdesigned posted:

I have a cash account in YNAB. I try to keep up with it via the app, but every week or so I basically reconcile my wallet. I've got a MISC payee that I use when I'm not sure where I spent the cash, and I categorize it as either booze or snacks or fun money based on what my gut says I spent it on.
After all that time with YNAB, I still can't get used to pulling out the smartphone and logging the expenses every time they happen.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

If you want it how YNAB4 handles it, use a regular account for your credit card in nYNAB.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No search, no reports, no payee management. Those are the big ones missing.

--edit: Also, people get up in a tizzy because there isn't a strict distinction between months for income.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Toolkit for YNAB 0.7.2 now comes with additional spending by category and payee reports. They work on master category level only currently. There's also an income vs expense report, i.e. the big grid.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Bread Set Jettison posted:

No search is unacceptable
Well, Toolkit.

(lol.)

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

You get most of the reporting back in nYNAB via the Toolkit.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Also, this:

https://financier.io/

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Yeah, but things are like at least half a year late. Took them ages to implement some stupid CSV importer, and other than that from release to now, it's mainly just been bugfixes, nothing in new features. They couldn't even deliver simple comfort features like entering a scheduled transaction into register and skipping to the next occurrence. Apparently they had to rewrite the whole calculation engine, too, somewhen during the first half of the year. If you need to rewrite a core component of your product that early, it's kind of a sign that something's not right. Who knows what else is going sideways.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Seems like they've started to roll out reports to a few people for testing. Of course, this is loving hilarious, given that search is also still in a test rollout, since at least three weeks. They're certainly not confident at all in their code.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Reports on nYNAB are out, FYI. Search should be up soon, since it's mentioned as being released in some short-rear end podcast announcement thingy, too.

--edit: Search just showed up, too.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Oct 24, 2016

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

They've also put up a Mean Tweets video, where Jesse reads and reacts to people getting irate at the slow dev cycle regards those features. Like what the hell are they even thinking. Didn't even watch it to avoid cringing.

Also, I love the apologists on their forum and on /r/ynab, claiming that they've never even used the reports in YNAB4. Who the gently caress does financial planning without at least occasionally checking how their income and expenses developed over time?!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I hope you'll be glad to hear that YNAB has had its priorities straight and is now able to deliver support for Amazon's Alexa service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

This spring they scrapped their V1 of their "calculation engine" and rewrote it from scratch. That held up a lot, I'd figure. Also, scuttlebutt has it that some management type of hire from a while ago seemed to have pushed Jesse to be more profit oriented, to the ire of the previous head developer (I guess there was friction), who then apparently took his toys and went home.