Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Holy crap, I don't know why I didn't think there was a demo. Definitely going to try it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

It's not really forecasting if you're allocating money you already have though, technically!

Yeah if it's money you have on hand, it's ok and within the philosophy. They just don't want you entering paychecks ahead of time.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
That's true, and I agree. But for some things like your monthly bills, you're pretty much GONNA pay the rent.

But I wouldn't budget out my everyday expenses, that's for sure.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I did the little 10-day YNAB investment newsletter and it was helpful. Ultimately the dudes suggested company was Betterment.com, mostly cause they're passive, goal-oriented, and only require $100/mo automatic deposits. (No $3000-$5000 starting). Anyone. Else have experience with them? Looks like their portfolio consists of a mix of Vanguard funds and other stuff.

I can move this to the investment thread if it should be there.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Name your known payments something like "rent - 800" and budget up to that with what you have on hand. Got your first paycheck? Put 400 in rent, and whatever else you need.

If you have rule 4 done, you can just do 800.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Oh poo poo I didn't even know about the GPS thing. just found it and turned it on. That'll be awesome.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
The GPS feature goes a long way to making manually entering amounts easier. Just get back to your car or bike or whatever and whip it out, enter in the amount and you're done.

Make sure you turn it on first, it's in the settings somewhere. The first time you use a payee at a new location, it'll have a little globe icon for gps tracking. Next time you open the app near that location, it'll auto populate all the fields.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
For splitting a category my gf and I are doing this thing where if she pays, she'll enter the full amount, and I'll enter half of if with a label and memo saying I owe her. We'll reconcile at the end of the month and see how it goes. First time trying it since we only just moved in together.

I'm extremely glad it wasn't a hard sell to get her to start using YNAB. She even had a lovely phone that couldn't install the app so she was just hoarding receipts for a while and entering them in at night. More disciplined than me. If I didn't have the mobile app I probably wouldn't do it at all.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Well it's a four person household, but the gf and I share a room. We still each pay 1/4 or rent and 1/4 or utilities (since we have the master bedroom etc), but our grocery bill is something we split together, because it isn't too hard.

We don't really share any other huge expenses, and we both make roughly the same amount of money. If one of us were unemployed or something, then we could try a different split (like 80-20 for rent or something).

But that app looks interesting. Might be helpful sometime.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
If any of you are moving soon or staying in a place for more than a year, ask your gas company about doing an even pay. They charge you the same amount every month, based in the past usage, and you either get money back or owe a little at the end.

Instead of paying 3$ for service fees in the summer, you'll pay like 30$. But that also means you won't be getting handed 150$ bills in the winter.

Obviously this is if you live in a place where you use gas for your furnace. I don't know if any other utility companies might offer similar things.

Keeps at least one thing really predictable. Sure, you could do it yourself by just overpaying during the summer and creating a credit with the company, but if you're with roommates or something, that might be harder to... Convince them to do.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
It's mostly frustrating cause I get paid once a month and it's always around 28-29th. I wish I could just set YNAB to start the month on the 28th or something dumb.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
It would look prettier I guess.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

SiGmA_X posted:

It changes nothing. You're complaining about a problem you created.

It just would be nice alright, jeez.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
drat dude you spend 500 bucks a month on that car, the insurance, and your tobacco habit.