Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
This might be worth adding to the OP - enrolled students can get a year of YNAB for free:

quote:

Do you really give students YNAB for free?

We offer all students YNAB free for 12-months (in addition to the free 34-day trial). If you’re interested, write into student@ynab.com with proof of enrollment—think student ID card, transcript or tuition statement (but anything that shows you are currently enrolled and includes your name, your school, and the date will do). We can’t wait to get you budgeting!

I've just sent my info in and will report back if there's any issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!

Tayter Swift posted:

Are credit cards still a train wreck with the new YNAB?

I haven't had any issues with credit cards. I have 2 with a rolling balance which I also use for purchases. I watched their video, and then another one I found on Youtube, and it makes sense to me.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
I do both and match the manual ones later when they import. I love the system, especially with how flexible it is for how you use it.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
The auto import has been broken for my credit union for a few weeks now and I hate it. YNAB is working on it and hopefully it gets fixed soon.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!

Slimy Hog posted:

I don't get what problems people have with credit cards. I've always set things up the way that YNAB wants them and have never had a problem :shrug:

I haven't had any issues with credit cards either. I watched the YNAB videos about using them, and also this guy on Youtube has a bunch of videos about how to set stuff up that are really well laid out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ix0Jibc0Lw

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!

FateFree posted:

There is literally only one gotcha with credit cards: if you pay in full and get cash back, the cash will go to the credit card category and you have to move it out. Everything else works fine unless you are using it wrong.

I think this explains why I don't have the issue others are having. I have my cash back set up to deposit into my checking account, not back onto the credit card, so I can move the money like a regular payment or use it for something else straight from the checking account.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
I had to send two messages about my credit union no longer linking, and it took about 3 months to fix it, but they did eventually fix it. Hopefully they fix yours too!

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!

Partycat posted:

I heard nothing back but the transactions I manually keyed in for May have disappeared from all my unlinked accounts, including the entire "wallet" account that I created for pocket cash.

e: so it decided to put me into a version of my budget that was archived ? panic over but what the heck

What the actual heck! How strange.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
Today I officially paid my bills one month ahead on the app. I am...beyond excited! :toot:

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
That's a long way away for me but I haven't felt that crummy clinging to the last dollar feeling in months. Whoop whoop!

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
Being one month ahead is way more confusing than I anticipated! I never realized how many habits I developed because "what about that bill coming at the end of the month," and spend a good chunk of my time reminding myself that I already have those bills paid for. What a world!

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
I did a fresh start based on people's experiences in this thread and I have to say, it did encourage me to rethink my monthly goals and clean out a bunch of gunk. Plus resetting my "to be budgeted" felt awesome as I saw just how much I have between all of my accounts! A good way to start the new year :)

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!

CmdrRiker posted:

How detailed to people keep their budgets? I budget with a fixed/variable/sinking fund spreadsheet, and some of my sinking funds are very detailed. I think most people just keep a surplus of misc and when, say, Nintendo Online needs to be renewed they just deduct it from that rather than a Nintendo Online sinking Fund of $2 a month. Same with other stuff like your dental visits, which ideally are free cleanings twice a year, but, maybe this year you needed a filling. I think I am overthinking it. Do people do this?

I budget everything, even the $1.08 monthly app, as its own category. It helps me with remembering what's coming. I also include the due date in the descriptions.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!

TheCenturion posted:

Before YNAB, I used Microsoft Money, then MoneyDance.

And they were more like forensic tools than budgeting software. They answered the question 'where did all my money go?' Like examining a crime scene.

YNAB and similar tools flip the script. You're not tracking down what you spent money on, you're choosing what you *will* spend money on in the future.

You stop looking at your bank account and you start looking at your budget.

Like you said, when you're tracking spending, you think in terms of 'I think I have enough' or 'I don't remember spending much on dining out this month, so I should be fine.'

With YNAB, you're not looking at your bank balance, you're looking at your budget. Want to know if you have enough in the hobby budget to buy that new hobby thing? YNAB will tell you. No ambiguity. You do or you don't. And if you don't, you can then choose to sacrifice something else, but you're watching the numbers change. It's not 'I don't think I ate out a lot this month,' it's 'I have fifty bucks in the Dining Out category, do I want to take that money out of that category and put it in the Hobby category?'

I really like how you describe the other types of software. I used one provided by my bank before YNAB, and this is exactly how it worked - seeing the after rather than considering the before.

YNAB budgeting got me through a period of unemployment where I had zero income for two months (graduate students aren't eligible for unemployment after we graduate, isn't that great???). I understand the cost is a turnoff for lots of folks, but it has been an awesome tool for a terrible money manager like me.

I feel like I should also mention, I have never had an issue with my credit card accounts. I have used YNAB both for paying off large balances over time, and for paying off the card as I go.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
I was a graduate student so I was fortunate to receive a year free. It has more than justified the cost for me over the years, but I'm not about to guess what the total cost means to other people and your funds.

For anyone who's interested but doesn't have the funds, I'm happy to invite you as a group member. The pros are that you can create unlimited budgets like a main user. The cons are that I can see your budget - I wouldn't look, but I could, so I get if that's an absolutely not. But if anyone wants to use YNAB as one of my group members, send me a PM.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
You can just remove the goal for the month and add it to July as well. That's what I've done in the past. It effectively skips the current month.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!

Mid-Life Crisis posted:

I don’t notice anything in dark mode

Same here, had no idea what this was about.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
In this case I would assign $100 to "candles" and then log a $100 debit in the CC account, which I select the candles category for. If I then pay the credit card off, I log a $100 transfer from checking to the credit card. So basically the $100 is deducted from the candles category via the credit card purchase, then $100 is transferred from checking to the credit card for the credit card payment.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!

gohuskies posted:

I just don't know how much exactly I should plan to be in my "groceries" or my "hookers and blow" envelopes yet. "Rent" and "utilities" are comparatively easy. But I guess maybe just do a month and see how it shakes out and adjust from there?

If you're anything like me, you will always need way more for groceries than you think. Always.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
If you set up a goal by a certain month, it will split that goal monthly until the due month. Personally this is a major reason I still use YNAB, but you can delete the goal and enter it for June if you want. You can also snooze the goal for April and then May.