Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

How would you go about combining your spouses finances? I assume just decide if you want to do a joint or individual checking accounts, then add their income and expenses and increase/decrease budget categories as needed? Otherwise I was thinking I would just increase/decrease the budget categories as needed and then count split rent, utilities, groceries, etc as income into my account so that it balances out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Just a heads up to anyone about to buy it. On the YNAB forums they have announced a "soft launch" of their newest version which is online only I believe. I think they are also stopping development on the desktop program. Might be worth waiting a week or two to see how things shake out. I'm not sure if it's going to be a monthly subscription you have to pay for or what the deal is.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I'll be sticking with YNAB4 for pretty much ever I think. Theres nothing feature wise that I really need or want. Having adobe air installed to run it does suck and it can be slow at times but nothing so bad that it'd be worth signing up for a monthly service for.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I've been dutifully entering in all of my bank transactions into YNAB4 for about 3 years or so now and it's starting to get bogged down quite a bit. I dont want to have a fresh start and loose the ability to pull up all of the reporting information but I'm afraid I may need to. Does anyone know if I went back and reconciled every transaction and then set the budget account to hide reconciled transactions would that speed it up any more?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Teeter posted:

Have you tried compacting things?

Here are instructions taken from the YNAB forum:

Apparently you can also hit ctrl+alt+shift+C in YNAB to compress a bit.

Also, you don't really need to "go back" and reconcile anything. If it is reconciled to the current date then it is essentially reconciled for all dates. Just make sure that your account values match your most recent statements and it will apply to every past transaction. Not everybody bothers with reconciling but I find that it's very handy to hide away previous transactions, though I don't know if it will lead to any performance boosts. Couldn't hurt to try.

Thanks for the recommendations. I compacted the database which helped, and then since I never used reconciliation, just cleared transactions I went back and reconciled everything. Performance has greatly increased and I can still pull all of the data for the various reports I like to see.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

So I am still using the old YNAB4 and loving it. I will keep running this thing in a VM far past its shelf life until some other good alternative comes along.

Lately though I've noticed the performance has been suffering. I did see this mentioned in an old post on their forums that I thought I'd copy along to help others:

quote:

If you’d like to reduce the size of your files, you can open your budget in YNAB and press [ctrl-alt-shift-c] on Windows and [Shift+Option+Command+C] on a Mac. That will compress your budget folder.

I thought there was a way too to clear out transactions older than a certain date. Like I dont need to scroll past things from 2016, do you just hide reconciled transactions or is there an alternate way to do that? I also dont want to delete them and loose historical reporting options if I dont have to.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

TheCenturion posted:

Make sure you’re reconciling often, too. Something like unreconciled transactions are kept in individual files for sync purposes.

Thanks I'll have to do that, to be honest I never messed with reconciliation, just marked transactions as cleared once they went through.

Is there a way to reconcile up to a certain date? I like being able to scroll up and see transactions quickly from just a couple of months ago. Although if its a major speed improvement I guess I could just reconcile to be current and just use reporting as necessary. I've been using it non-stop since 2016 and dont want to lose out on any reporting features.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Old YNAB works perfectly in Wine on Mint 19 for those who were curious.

I'm going to run this program in a VM long past its expiration date. If the online version ever reaches feature parity I'd consider moving, but they'd have to lower the price to something more reasonable which I doubt would ever happen.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

anitsirK posted:

😬https://www.youneedabudget.com/ynab-4-support-will-end-october-2019/

Alternatives? Workarounds? I really don't want to start paying a subscription in order to continue to optimize my monthly expenses.

sparkmaster posted:

I dread the day YNAB4 doesn't work on PCs. YNAB was the best :20bux: I ever spent, and I'll be very sad when it stops working.

I'm still a YNAB4 user. They can pry it out of my cold dead hands. I also made the switch to Linux Mint on my home laptop and was able to get YNAB4 working just fine with WINE. The only thing it doesnt work with is mobile sync via DropBox. I dont use that feature so I never looked into making that work.

Before I started using it in WINE I just made a poo poo win7 VM and put that up on one half of my screen and reviewed my statements on the other half. Worked well enough for me.

Today when I opened it they had a splash page come up announcing how they were dropping support for it 10/31/2019 and offering a discount to switch the new platform. Nice try shitlords, if you'll excuse me I'll be running some sweet sweet budgeting reports that the new version cant do. :smuggo:

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Just a reminder to folks that old YNAB will run in WINE or on a Win7 VM basically forever.

I know thats more hoops than a lot of people want to deal with but its worked out pretty well for me.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

What are the current alternatives out there to the old YNAB?

Im still running it fine in WINE on Linux and will presumably until the end of time, but I'm curious if there are any new alternatives out there that people like.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Still running YNAB4 on Wine in Linux Mint. Still running amazingly.

I cant honestly imagine life without it. I'll be running it in a VM 20 years from now just to keep using it. It just works perfectly for my needs. I've really started laser focusing on the budget this month, as my wife is out for 3 months on FMLA leave. Going to have to channel my old frugal self to make ends meet again.

Which reminds me. Would anyone be interested in a general frugality thread? Do we have that somewhere? I think I'm firmly in the "a bunch of littles make a lot" territory for our budget and wouldnt mind posting ideas in a thread somewhere.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Made a thread here - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3977190
Its a start at least.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Shofixti posted:

As an FYI, YNAB 4 works perfectly using WINE. Been running it on Linux for years now.

Yup. Been running YNAB4 for years now using WINE on Linux Mint. It works just perfectly and keeps on keeping on.

I dont import transactions. It takes about 15 minutes every 2 weeks to review transactions and manually enter them in for my wife and I. Its a good chance to see, again, where our money is going and on what.

They can pry YNAB4 from my cold dead hands.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Kusaru posted:

I’m still on YNAB 4, but I tried out Budget with Buckets when the price kerfluffle happened and liked it enough that I’ll likely switch to that if YNAB 4 ever stops working for me. I don’t use any sort of import, I like adding my own transactions.

I never actually tried new YNAB so I don’t know what features it has, but I liked how Buckets showed progress in each category with a goal and how much to add each month for a timed goal.

Good to know there is an alternative that will mostly work. Im so ingrained with YNAB4 now though that I will keep it running in a VM for eternity.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Their newish subscription model is so pants on head stupid. Like I would've gladly paid $50 every 4-5 years for updates to keep the app working with new OSs, mobile support, newer graphs etc.

Now it'll just run in WINE or a windows VM for eternity and god as my witness they'll never get another dime from me!

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Ill run YNAB4 in a VM and keep it chugging along as long as I can. They'll never take it away from me.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

YNAB definitely helped me when I was younger, tracking every dollar seeing where I was spending frivolously, and motivated me when I started playing around with graphs seeing my net worth go up or loans down.

But making 3x what I did when I was 25 definitely helped a lot more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

That actually looks promising! I could get away from my old YNAB4 Wine/Linux hack job and use this potentially.