Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lady flash
Dec 26, 2007
keeper of the speed force
I want in on this. I didn't read much last year because I had a baby hoping this year will be better. I'm going for 20 books.
Goodreads is https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/10104702-kristina

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
I'm going for 52 books again.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

I hit 52 this year but the goal was more distraction than pleasure at the end of the year since I'm a ton busier than I was when I set the goal. As such I'll aim for 26 for this year.

e: totally forgot metagoals, 2 each of new (to me) women and non-Western authors and 13 non-fic overall.

Living Image fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jan 2, 2014

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I'm going to go for 52 again, but with some extra criteria to broaden my reading:

- Ten books must be written in Finnish
- Ten books must be something other than SF, fantasy or non-fiction
- Four books must be by authors outside of Europe or North America

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I'm going for 52 again. Here's my goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/7387709

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I wound up reading a total of 58 books last year, so gently caress it I'm going for 60 this time around and I'm going to make sure I write a review on goodreads for each one, I only reviewed the second half of last year :unsmigghh:

Goodreads

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

First time participating. I'll go for 26, normally I'd go for 52 but I've got a newborn and a toddler running around atm, so not so much time for reading.

1) Quesadillas by Juan Pablo Villalobos
Bizarre and very funny, never read anything quite like it. Gotta admit I didn't understand the ending though.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I'm going for 50, many of which are cued up on my Kindle already after a "My new toy is amazing!" splurge over Christmas. Goodreads link are below this here words:

https://www.goodreads.com/DiscoPope

I also aim to add more poetry and plays into my rotation this year; I've fallen into a bit of a bleak speculative fiction rut.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jan 2, 2014

ColonelCurmudgeon
May 2, 2005

Shall I give thee the groat now?
First time participating. I finished 30 books this past year, and am going to try for 35 this year. As a part of this -- realizing that I am woefully under-read as far as canonical texts are concerned -- I am going to try to begin tackling works from Joseph Brodsky's "Reading List for Having an Intelligent Conversation" (though these certainly won't make up the entirety of this year's reading).

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I'll go for 40 this time.

1: 01/03/2014 - Dead Beat
2: 01/05/2014 - Blood Rites
3: 01/09/2014 - Death Masks
4: 01/12/2014 - The Hobbit

Ika fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jan 15, 2014

attackbunny
May 1, 2009

Whalley posted:

I wound up reading a total of 58 books last year, so gently caress it I'm going for 60 this time around and I'm going to make sure I write a review on goodreads for each one, I only reviewed the second half of last year :unsmigghh:

I'm going to try and write at least a few coherent sentences for each book this year, as well. High five! Up until now I've only reviewed books I really disliked.

I'm setting my target at 52, and, as usual, only books I haven't read before count. Last year and the year before I ended up putting it up, but setting the target high at the beginning of the year just feels like unfun pressure.

Here's my Goodreads profile.

Mollsmolyneux
Feb 7, 2008

"You're not married, you haven't got a girlfriend... and you've never watched "Star Trek?"
Good Lord
I achieved my goal of 20 last year way back on 23rd August. I ended up reading 30 overall, I'll update it in the previous thread shortly.

I'm aiming for 30 this year, and I would like to read 5 Very Short Introductions within that. My goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/mollsmolyneux

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I exceeded my goal last year by cheating with a lot of novellas,so I'll go for 60 this time, with the caveat that 20 should be by women. I've also got a headstart as I finished a book after calling time on last year's challenge.

1: The Devils by Fyodor Dostoyevsky as translated by David Magarshack.

The Goodreads

Serano
Sep 17, 2004
Mostly innocuous
I'm going for 52, pretty sure I read more than this last year but I wasn't counting.

Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/27172492

No More Days
Apr 1, 2010
Going for a modest 35, with the additional goal that I'll finish War and Peace this year.

Goodreads

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Put me down for 20.

Goodreads

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Finished #1, and it turns out my eBook contained more than the actual book.

1. Stories Of Your Life And Others by Ted Chiang
I loving loved this to no end, it's my favorite book of short stories I've read. goodreads review

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Going for 75.

Goodreads.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
I slowed way the hell down in the latter half of 2013 and only ended with 40/52 so I'll shoot for at least 42 books in 2014! I'll post my goodreads when I'm not phoneposting :)

Prolonged Shame
Sep 5, 2004

I'm going to shoot for 100 books again this year. My goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/8528817-squids

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

52 for me, please.

https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/3115956-joanna

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

I am in for 100. I hit over that the past two years, but I don't want to feel pressured. My secondary goal is to have about one fourth the books be nonfiction.

First book is down already, second by tomorrow. My break only lasts a few more days, gotta make it count.

Namirsolo
Jan 20, 2009

Like that, babe?
I finished my goal of 60 books including 10 classics last year. For this year I'm going to up it by 5 and go with 65. Graphic novels don't count and I will be reading 10 classics again.

http://wwww.goodreads.com/Namirsolo

FarmerHank
Jan 6, 2011

farming techniques vary
Going to try to read 23 books this year. I think ill be able to, I hope.

ridiculous dinosaur
Jul 15, 2010

but seriously, guys. dinosaurs.
I am going for 36 books this year. This is my Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/8411056-brittny

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
As mentioned in my last post, here's my Goodreads profile!

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
I Have Had a nice 2 month break from reading since I completed my last years goal of 52 books.
That being said, I'am a low achiever, so put me up for Yet another 52 books for 2014.

1. Christopher Hitchens: God Is Not Great

h34rts
Aug 3, 2012

I drink coffee because
I need it and I drink gin
because I deserve it.
Lipstick Apathy
I believe I will begin with Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock novels/short stories ... I'll set a hypothetical goal of 30 books for the year - and see how that pans out ... :toot:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

So this year I am thinking more in terms of personal goals to expand my reading habits, so I will probably be tracking that more than total amount of books (although AreYouStillThere can just track total to not be confusing). Basically the overall total is more of a secondary goal for me with the other goals being my focus. What I am thinking so far is:

70 total books
20 non-fiction books
10 books off of the Lifetime Reading list
12 books by (different) female authors
5 books from (5 different) countries other than USA, Europe, or Japan
Read Gravity's Rainbow finally

Guy A. Person fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 2, 2014

Tacohead
Oct 24, 2009

exactly the same
Going for 36. Monthly goal: 1 book-club title and 2 trade paperback comics/manga.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Aiming for 52 again but may update depending on progress. Also aiming to do more reviews.

https://www.goodreads.com/thespaceinvader

Though goodreads seems to be crashed right now.

Finisher1
Feb 21, 2008

I fell a bit short of my goal for last year's reading challenge thread (47 of my goal of 52), but this year I've decided on a more reasonable 26 as my total goal. Given that I'll probably be starting grad school this fall, it's unlikely I'll be able to read as much.

Sqeetschy
Mar 28, 2010
Going for 52 this year, start with the second book of "The lies of Locke Lamora". Yay, good resolutions!
Nr. 01 (Finished on 05.01) "Red seas under red skies" by Scott Lynch: Disappointing followup of a good first book. Still gonna try the next one, maybe the ocean setting just didn't sit well with me.
Nr. 02 (Finished on 11.01) "Jennifer Government" by Max Barry: Great satire of capitalism and its extremes. Easy read with lots of action. Will be looking out for more books by Barry.
Nr. 03 (Finished on 14.01) "Daemon" by Daniel Suarez. Was okay, but kind of bland. Hated how it explained easy technical poo poo, though I get that to lose fewer readers he kind of had to.
Nr. 04 (Finished January) "Freedom" by Daniel Suarez. Got better with the explanations and the whole story was resolved well.
All in all happy with the series.
Nr. 05 (Finished January) "Seventh Son" by Orson Scott Card. Was okay, not my favorite by him by far. Maybe continiuing the series, probably not though. "Treason" was a far better non-Ender story.
Nr. 06 (Finished January) "The Gunslinger" by Stephen King. Was quite annoyed by the kid from our time that was dropped in as a literary device to be able to use similes to subway trains and other poo poo. Didn't like the pretentiousness of the whole thing. Not continuing.
Nr. 07 (WIP) "The Definitive H.P. Lovecraft" by H.P. Lovecraft. Not going to read every small bit, but as far as I have come it is pretty much pure awesome. Love his descriptions and lore.
Nr. 08 (Finished July) "Red Prophet" by Orson Scott Card. Good second part of the series, liking it much more now. Started the third book.
Nr. 09 (Finished July) "Apprentice Alvin" by Orson Scott Card. Still enjoyable series for me.
Nr. 10 (Finished July) "China's Second Continent" by Howard W. French. First non-fiction book, interesting stuff. Anecdotal evidence of Chinas/the Chinese peoples behaviour in Africa. Not dry at all and a good read overall.
Nr. 11 (Finished 05.08) "The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared" by Jonas Jonasson. Adventure story in the style of Forrest Gump in which the main character influences/lives through the most important parts of the 20. century. Coupled with a rather anticlimactic story of his adventures as a 100 year old.
Nr. 12 (Finished 05.08) "Journeyman Alvin" by Orson Scott Card. Another installment of the "Alvin Maker" series and it is still on track not being too awesome or a waste of my time. Overall solid.

Sqeetschy fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Aug 5, 2014

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I took 2013 off after doing 52+ in 52 so I'll aim for a modest 30 since I have tests to study for this year.

1.Battle Royale - Koushun Takami
2.That Book About Harvard - Eric Kester
3.Netherland - Joseph O'Neill

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

How many Polacks does it take to captain a pirate ship? One.
2013 was a weak reading year for me (only 10 books). Going to kick that into high gear this year and shoot for 26 books.

Goodreads, ho!!!: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/3797458

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

6 books for me again. School and work keep me busy so if I can get some solid novels in I'll be happy. Have to make it through Dance with Dragons first...

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I'm in again, but keeping it open ended. If you need a number, I guess 80.

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013
I'm going to go with 15 new books plus re-reading the Harry Potter series. So I guess we'll say 22.

ToiletOtter
Jun 18, 2007

Our Sammy singing a Serious solo Song.
I basically get paid to read and since I enjoy it so drat much, I'll say 100 books and we'll go from there.

Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/1379230-megan
I'll try to keep it up to date.

1. Infinity by Rachel Ward (last of the Numbers series)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
I'll shoot for 52. I have a lot of stuff ahead of me this year... but I did manage 100 this year even when buying and moving into a new house.

• Locked thread