Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys
In for 52 books this year as well. I actually beat my target last year, but got overambitious and raised it to 75 books. No such stupidity this time. I'm aiming for roughly 50% non-fiction, but no strict rules. A quick overview of last year shows a painfully low amount of women authors, so I'm aiming for at least 20 women writers this years.

To start things off:

1. Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

Two books down!

I read "The Joy of Sex" because it was super cheap on the kindle. I can see why it was a big deal in the 70s, but it isn't anything special these days.

I also read "Good Behavior" by Donald Westlake. It is one in a series of comedic heist novels. A lot of fun, but not very substantial. But I needed something like that to balance some of the other thing I'm reading.

I find it is easy to read three books at a time if you find things that are very different from each other.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Roydrowsy posted:

Two books down!

I read "The Joy of Sex" because it was super cheap on the kindle. I can see why it was a big deal in the 70s, but it isn't anything special these days.
People still don't know how to have sex and would probably benefit from reading it. Though the stuff about the armpits was a bit odd to me.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I want to get back into the swing of reading like I did as a child, so Im going to set my goal at a low 24.

AreYouStillThere
Jan 14, 2010

Well you're just going to have to get over that.

Dienes posted:

Can we get a consensus of how many books to count Worm as?

Good question. I think I'm going to count it as 4, which would be about 1,100 pages per book. That's on par with Wheel of Time books anyway. Or Infinite Jest. My god what have I begun. (I'm like, 10 updates in. I got a waaaaays to go)

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

AreYouStillThere posted:

Good question. I think I'm going to count it as 4, which would be about 1,100 pages per book. That's on par with Wheel of Time books anyway. Or Infinite Jest. My god what have I begun. (I'm like, 10 updates in. I got a waaaaays to go)

It's roughly as long as GRRM through Dance with Dragons.

h34rts
Aug 3, 2012

I drink coffee because
I need it and I drink gin
because I deserve it.
Lipstick Apathy
Almost finished with book 1 - A Study in Scarlet - e-reader died :smith:

also, goodreads profiles here!

https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/22855121-le-manda

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

I'm going to join in and set my goal for 30 this year. Already started getting back into reading in November and December last year, so I want to put an extra four to push myself over the 1book/2weeks standard.

here is my goodreads profile
https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/11389443-alec

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
I've been a reading machine ever since I discovered the joy of a good book on the subway to work. I'll up the stakes for this year and pledge to read 45 books and/or graphic novels but I'm also including educational material this time.

Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/16366599-entenzahn

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

bowmore posted:

People still don't know how to have sex and would probably benefit from reading it. Though the stuff about the armpits was a bit odd to me.

Yeah, the armpit stuff was a little 'different' as was the emphasis on scent & odor. I've not spent a lot of time reading sex guides such as this, but I would imagine that this falls on the tame side of the spectrum these days. It probably serves as a pretty decent beginner's course for somebody uncomfortable or shy. Though I'm told that in terms of modern information, "The Guide to Getting It On" is probably a lot more informative and relevant than this '70s reprint.

Meanwhile
#3: Brilliance by Marcus Sakey - a bit of a twist on the superhero novel. It reads like an action movie. It can be a little predictable, a little cheezy at times, It's pretty entertaining and it's approach on having superpowers is different and refreshing. No flying, no hand blasts, powers are much more subtle than that. Perhaps like that Alphas show, which I've only seen the pilot of.

#4: The Best American Essays 2013
A really interesting collection of creative, literary non-fiction. The writing styles and subjects are diverse. I really enjoy the Essays series.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
This is a good idea. I will shoot for 20 books, one of which is to be in Japanese.

I just finished Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, so 5% done.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Book one down.

1. Supergods - Grant Morrison

***disclaimer*** I'm a huge fan of Grant Morrison's work in comics anyways ***disclaimer***

Brilliant. I had a really hard time putting this one down and read it in two sittings, though I feel the subject matter being something of keen interest to me had something to do with that. It's part anthropological study of how superheroes have supplanted gods, myths, and legends for the modern world, and part autobiography on how Grant Morrison became one of the biggest names in comics. The first part is interesting thanks to the bizarre nature of comics themselves, not to mention their ever-evolving industry. The second part is interesting thanks to Morrison's Comic Book Guy meets gonzo journalist voice. That, and his near-death experiences, world travels, tantric sex fetishes, and life-altering drug trips. He's funny too; I audibly chuckled at a number of points. I enjoy the fact that he comes across as a perfectly rational, scientific minded, concrete-sequential person while simultaneously sounding like he believes everything with an honesty that rivals Superman--that he's genuinely both an atheist and a theist; a believer in Christ, Buddha, Odin, the Flying Spaghetti Monster, and nothing at all; that a man at a San Diego comic convention dressed as Superman can be both an overzealous cosplayer and the Man Of Steel himself; that he can slip easily from reality, to non-reality, to hyper-reality within a single sentence or a single thought.

I'd recommend this book just for the writer's fascinating voice, but also to anyone with even a passing interest in superheros and their place in human culture.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Finished book 2.

2. Desolation Road by Ian McDonald.
I can't put in words how much I loved this; it's sci-fi Gabriel Garcia Marquez but so much more. Pretentious Goodreads review.

Loten
Dec 8, 2005

Thanks AreYouStillThere for this thread.

I found last years thread really helpful for finding new authors and really branched out on what I normally read. I beat my goal of 30 books last year, with 34, but think I'll keep this year's goal at 30 as my available reading time often varies depending on how long I'm stuck on public transport.

Goodreads profile here

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
So I managed to read 4 books this week, which I think is a pretty good start! Hoping to surpass my goal of 52 this year.

I mean, I say :airquote: "books", but they're mostly comics. Still, this challenge is basically an exercise for me to whittle down my massive to-read shelf, which does contain quite a few comics!

1. Aldebaran by Leo - The worst BD translation in history. Bad story and bad characters. Creepily full of sex and discussions of rape. 2 stars.

2. Betelgeuse by Leo - Oh god why did I read this. Sex Adventures On Alien Planets 2: This Time It’s Sexier. Bad bad bad. "I have to fight to stop my hands from stroking your breasts." Great, thanks Europe. 2 stars.

3. The Sea Rover's Practice by Benerson Little - One of the best books on piracy in the Caribbean, I love history books like this one that are crammed full of excerpts from first-hand sources. The prose is amateurish, though. 4 stars.

4. Mr. A by Ayn Rand Steve Ditko - :smug:. 1 star.

Qwo fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jan 31, 2014

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I want to make it to 65 books this year, after managing the 52 last year rather easily.

shrimp fried rice 4-EVA
Feb 2, 2012

Holding my breath and I'm playing for keeps.
I'll give 52 books a go. Any thoughts on a minimum pages requirement or something?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Qwo posted:

4. Mr. A by Ayn Rand Steve Ditko - 1/5 - :smug:

Is that a Mr. A collection?

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Two down:

1. Beyond the Rift by Peter Watts. About 80% done at the moment; another pretty sweet collection of short stories.
2. Komarr by Lois McMaster Bujold. Something of a comfort reread (have been going through the whole series since some time last year, in between other books).

Both of these were not terribly long books so now I just started on this big fat fantasy thing Blood Song by Anthony Ryan because a bunch of goons were singing its praises. Less than 10% in, seems pretty decent so far.

Music For Cats
May 30, 2011

Put me down for 52 books. I'm slowly working my way through the classics and hopefully a goal will be helpful.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

I made 100 last year, I'll go for 100 again this year. I suspect it will be harder this year than last (instead of a 45 minute commute each way I'll be walking around 10 minutes, so less time for audiobooks), but then I'm pretty surprised I actually made it to 100 last year. If I don't make it, oh well. Also, I'm going to try to write a review (at least a short one) for every book I read on Goodreads. I started doing this last year and it's actually kind of fun. Plus, it makes it more likely that I'll win giveaways.
Here's my Goodreads profile, feel free to add me.

Florida Betty fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jan 8, 2014

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011

Mr. Squishy posted:

Is that a Mr. A collection?
I think it's Mr. A #1, a collection of early stories from '67-'73.

Metrilenkki
Aug 1, 2007

Oldskool av for lowtaxes medical fund gobbless u -fellow roamingdad
I managed to reach my goal of 52, so I'll be gunning for 75 books this year. Goodreads profile here. Book no. 1 is already down, a self-serving turd that was on christmas sale:

1. Confessions of an Economic Hit Man. Perkins J. 2005.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Well I totally flubbed on my goal of 40 books last year, which surprised me. It turns out I'm not the bookworm I used to be. After completing just 17 books in 2013 (:cripes:), I've decided to set a more modest target of 25 for 2014. Wish me luck.

Obligatory Goodreads profile

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Oh, I forgot to add my Goodreads profile as well: Goodreads.

Also, don't pay attention to my progress updates. I'm using it to get a sense of how/when/how much I read.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Busy couple of days:

2: A Fall of Moondust by Arthur C Clarke. I first started this probably 15 years ago, but it was a copy in a library on board a ship, and I couldn't take it away with me, and didn't finish in time. It's a great book given its age, as with all of Clarke's work I've experienced so far, but it similarly suffers a little for its age in relation to gender politics etc. It's also interesting that, in a book written between Sputnik and Apollo 11, Clarke's assumption was that the Russians would be the first to make it...

3: Prador Moon by Neal Asher. Good book, good introduction to the author, but short. Definitely going to follow up with more from this author.

4: Embedded by Dan Abnett. I've not read a lot of Abnett's non-40k fiction, but what i have read of it is good and this is no exception. Good action, interesting concepts, well-rendered characters, and I liked the ling-patched swearing, it was a fun addition. In general the language was done well for relatively near-future SF - different enough to be noticeable, but not different enough to be annoying.

5: Currently in progress on a reread of The Player of Games by Ian M Banks. As good as I remember.

(Had to accompany fiancee to a hospital checkup so spent a lot of time on buses and in waiting rooms. All relatively short books and I read fast...)

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I'll aim for 50 and set a few more specific goals once I clear some existing backlog.

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

5. Quirk: Brain Science Makes Sense of Your Peculiar Personality by Hannah Holms

A really intersting book about how brain biology and brain chemestry influence our personalities. It also looks at the evolutional purpose for personality traits.

6. The Psychopath Test by Jon Ronson
I love Ron's stuff. It's really amusing, but equally entertaining and informative. With Ronson's work, its not just about the subject of psychopathy. It's the story of Ronson's investigation of the subject, and the strange cast of characters he ends up interviewing. I caught onto this from a This American Life episode a couple of years ago.

Raven65
Dec 31, 2008
Thanks for doing this again AreYouStillThere, I found the 2013 thread accidentally which lead me here.

Trying to get back into my teenage reading habit after a shamefully long period with few books. I hope to surpass this but sign me up for 20 books this year.

I setup a Goodreads profile last night if anyone would like to add me as to provide some encouragement to complete a small review on each read. As you'll see from my profile I'm starting back with a focus on a few of my previous favorite genres so if you're a fan of any of the same please feel free to send recommendations.

h34rts
Aug 3, 2012

I drink coffee because
because I deserve it.
Lipstick Apathy
Still working my way through Arthur Conan Doyle ... I don't feel that a 40 page book really counts as a book, but I figure reading is reading, so it kinda counts.

Also, it feels weird reading a book and not writing a paper on it ... or is that just me?

mania
Sep 9, 2004
In for 52 books. Goodreads profile.

LittleFuryThings
Jan 11, 2012
Going to try for 50 books.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
#1 - Roadside Picnic by Arkady Strugatsky and Boris Strugatsky.

Not sure how I feel about this one. I think I still need to ruminate on it for a while to get the full significance. It seems to be more meaningful than what I pulled out of it initially. I'm also not sure how to process the end.

#2 - The Game of Rat and Dragon by Cordwainer Smith.

This was a short story, but I'm counting it because it was one of my gifts from the TBB Santa exchange. It was definitely entertaining, but it feels like it might or should be a part of a larger collection. It felt a lot like the first couple chapters of a much longer novel. It laid just enough ground to create a "universe" for a much larger story, but ended after hinting at a potential narrative. Also, I was a little weirded out by the Underhill/Lady May romantic aspect. It could have worked if it was a full novel and done tastefully (the emotional, not sexual part). But ending where it did left me with a "This dude is writing fan fiction about his cat" feeling. It didn't help that I read most of it in a vet ER waiting for news about my cat with a blocked urethra.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
5: Finished reread of The Player of Games - spent most of it trying to remember where the ending spoiler happened (i.e. Mawhrin-skel is Flere-imsaho) which was a little distracting, but otherwise it was good.

Moving on to 6: Hilldiggers by Neal Asher. Having enjoyed Prador Moon I'm continuing that series.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Blind Sally posted:

Book one down.

1. Supergods - Grant Morrison

***disclaimer*** I'm a huge fan of Grant Morrison's work in comics anyways ***disclaimer***

Brilliant. I had a really hard time putting this one down and read it in two sittings, though I feel the subject matter being something of keen interest to me had something to do with that. It's part anthropological study of how superheroes have supplanted gods, myths, and legends for the modern world, and part autobiography on how Grant Morrison became one of the biggest names in comics. The first part is interesting thanks to the bizarre nature of comics themselves, not to mention their ever-evolving industry. The second part is interesting thanks to Morrison's Comic Book Guy meets gonzo journalist voice. That, and his near-death experiences, world travels, tantric sex fetishes, and life-altering drug trips. He's funny too; I audibly chuckled at a number of points. I enjoy the fact that he comes across as a perfectly rational, scientific minded, concrete-sequential person while simultaneously sounding like he believes everything with an honesty that rivals Superman--that he's genuinely both an atheist and a theist; a believer in Christ, Buddha, Odin, the Flying Spaghetti Monster, and nothing at all; that a man at a San Diego comic convention dressed as Superman can be both an overzealous cosplayer and the Man Of Steel himself; that he can slip easily from reality, to non-reality, to hyper-reality within a single sentence or a single thought.

I'd recommend this book just for the writer's fascinating voice, but also to anyone with even a passing interest in superheros and their place in human culture.

2. Hawkeye 1: My Life As A Weapon/Hawkeye 2: Little Hits - Matt Fraction et. al.

I'm going to count large comics as a single entry and smaller trades as a half books. So these two count as one.

I enjoyed them. The art in Hawkeye is wonderful and it has a number of clever story-telling devices that I enjoyed immensely. The character of Hawkeye as a broody, sorry-for-himself kind of hero isn't the most engaging, but he has a great supporting cast, such as the new Hawkeye and Lucky the dog. A lot of fun.

3. The Chronicles of Prydain I: The Book Of Three - Llyod Alexander

I love the characters, I love the story. It moves along at a brisk speed, functions as a fully-realized and detailed world, and yet never gets bogged down in unnecessary world-building and details like so much other sci-fi and fantasy. I'd only read The Black Cauldron (and seen the film) before this, so I'm glad to go back and start the series properly. This is the kind of fantasy I'm happy and eager to recommend to youths or children.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Butch Cassidy posted:

I'll aim for 50 and set a few more specific goals once I clear some existing backlog.

So far:

1. Reaper Man by Terry Pratchett. Death retires, chaos ensues. Weaker writing than Pratchett's later work but one of his best stories.

2. Storm Front by Jim Butcher. Fun pulp noir.

3. Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut. Nihilistic existentialism ahoy. A great black comedy that I'm looking forward to my kids being old enough to read and discuss.

4. Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe. An anti-hero parable with a far more ambiguous moral than most readers want to accept and choose to ignore. Very well worth a read, but look at a biography of Chinua Achebe to appreciate that it is an early writing by a native Nigerian.

As for more specific goals, I want to read all of the books in my backlog that I have been gifted and loaned, catch up on some classics, get into more mystery and noir, start and finish the books I have started and never finished since high school, and pick up some books that I would usually pass by. And not sacrifice hiking/swimming/music/biking time to do it. So far, so good.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
Quick update:

#2: Fighting on the Home Front: The Legacy of Women in World War One - Kate Adie.
#3: Rome: A Cultural, Visual, and Personal History - Robert Hughes.
#4: Wake - Elizabeth Knox.
#5: When We Wake - Karen Healey.

h34rts
Aug 3, 2012

I drink coffee because
because I deserve it.
Lipstick Apathy
Got a snazzy Kindle handed down to me, complete with awesome books... working on Sign of Four currently ... aw yeah.

Couch Life
Aug 20, 2010

In for 52 book as well. Here's my Goodreads profile. Add me!

Already got one down:

#1: Promise of Blood - Brian McClellan.
Wow, what a great start to a promising fantasy series. Contains mostly everything I want - ambiguous heroes, inventive magic system (gunpowder as a magic source, and "Knacked", who are great at exactly one magical talent), and intriguing political scheming. I'm excited to see where this one goes, especially after spending most of last year going through half of the Wheel of Time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Couch Life posted:

#1: Promise of Blood - Brian McClellan.

Also just finished this and now am very upset about having to wait months for the second one.

(PS anyone have any recommendations for other books with crazy gunpowder magic?)

• Locked thread