Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lady flash
Dec 26, 2007
keeper of the speed force
I want in on this. I didn't read much last year because I had a baby hoping this year will be better. I'm going for 20 books.
Goodreads is https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/10104702-kristina

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lady flash
Dec 26, 2007
keeper of the speed force
My original goal was 20 books this year. I've upped it to 35 but might go higher yet. Here's a YTD update

1. DMZ, Vol. 12: The Five Nations of New York
Wood, Brian
Totally unexpected ending but a great series overall, might revisit again one day when I can read all 12 volumes in one go.
2. The Hidden Icon (Book of Icons) (Volume 1)
Kuhlmann, Jillian
This book was written by a local friend, she's working on a sequel and I am looking forward to it. It took me a number of chapters to get into this but once I did it was hard to put down.
3. Hex Hall (Hex Hall, #1)
Hawkins, Rachel
A quick YA read. not the best YA book I've read but a nice filler and I'll likely read the rest of the series when I can.
4. The Chaperone
Moriarty, Laura
I really enjoyed this book. What a crazy life Cora wound up living. I can't imagine living with the kind of secrets that they all did.
5. Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened
Brosh, Allie
It was a funny and quick read but some of the stories were a little too out there for me. the first half was better than the second
6. The Astronaut Wives Club
Koppel, Lily
ugh. What a mess. I had to force myself to finish it. would not recommend. In hindsight I should have just dumped it after the first half.
7. Déjà Dead (Temperance Brennan, #1)
Reichs, Kathy
typical story like the tv show. might read some more but not dying to. ha. well written and suspenseful.
8. Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls
Sedaris, David
Most of this book was funny but I find as a (new) mom that humor at the expense of a kid isn't funny at all.
9. Pushing Up Daisies (Dirty Business, #1)
Harris, Rosemary
Somewhat obvious bad guy but still an enjoyable read.
10. Death du Jour (Temperance Brennan, #2)
Reichs, Kathy
Same basic mystery plot as the first with a little more romance and a lot more death.
11. Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers (audio book)
read by Frasier, Shelly written by M. Roach
I listened to this book so I'm sure I missed some things but was overall quite enjoyable, a little funny and I learned new things. I think I'm going to donate my body to science now.
12. The Fault in Our Stars
Green, John
One of only two books so far this year with a 5 star rating. I'm not sure still what I feel about the abrupt ending (although not as abrupt as An Imperial Affliction) but otherwise a lovely book that I'm glad I read.
13. Deadly Decisions (Temperance Brennan, #3)
Reichs, Kathy
Same as the rest of the series
14. The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) (audio book)
Collins, Suzanne
I still don't like the deaths, especially the last one but the story is good and I find myself excited to see what will become of them
15. Catching Fire (Hunger Games, #2) (audio book)
Collins, Suzanne
I listened to all three of these back to back that I have a hard time placing what happens here vs. three. Enjoyable though.
16. Fatal Voyage (Temperance Brennan, #4)
Reichs, Kathy
Same old same
17. Collins, Suzanne's Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, Book 3) (audio book)
Besides the loss of Primrose I felt that the end was tied up too neatly.
18. Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk: A Modest Bestiary (audio book)
Sedaris, David
what an odd book. can't say I'd recommend it unless you're looking for something quick and weird.
19. Water for Elephants
Gruen, Sara
I really enjoyed this book. It's funny and charming but also has sad and lonely moments. This was the other 5 stars so far, I would recommend to most anyone that enjoys fiction.
20. The River of No Return
Ridgway, Bee
I have heard there is going to be a sequel and I hope so because there is so much left unresolved. I did like the very last scene though.
21. The Swallow
J. Hucke
I beta read this debut(?) novel of a friend of a friend. If it ever gets published I would recommend it. It's a YA novel about a dark love story that tackles PTSD, addiction recovery, coming of age, and sibling/family relationships. It was a quick read but even with the darkness it was enjoyable.

Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/10104702-kristina

I think now I'm going to catch up on some comic singles and then I'm listening to the second to last Wheel of Time and reading something I haven't decided on yet.

• Locked thread