Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

I Have Had a nice 2 month break from reading since I completed my last years goal of 52 books.
That being said, I'am a low achiever, so put me up for Yet another 52 books for 2014.

1. Christopher Hitchens: God Is Not Great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Stravinsky posted:

Maybe I just don't understand the spirit of the challenge then. So would it be cool and acceptable that I put down on my list of fifty books I read this year the Monday morning newspaper from this week?

The whole thing is personal challenge not a public competition. What others do with their challenge, shouldn't affect your personal goal.
It's also a nice way to discover new books or "books".

Personally I don't count my comic reads as they take lot less time to read than any Novel or novelette, but don't grudge people that do.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

adhuin posted:

1. God Is Not Great, by Christopher Hitchens

2. Promise of Blood - Powder Mage #1, by Brian McClellan
3. The Way of Shadows - Night Angel #1, by Brent Weeks
4. Shadow's Edge - Night Angel #2, by Brent Weeks

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

adhuin posted:

4. Shadow's Edge - Night Angel #2, by Brent Weeks (Won't be reading the third part)

a 4 month update:

5. Mirror Earth: The Search for our Planet's twin, by Michael D. Lemonick
A bit disappointing accounting of the search of Exoplanets. Disappointing in that it was written by a journalist and instead of focusing on the Exoplanets, it was mostly about the scientists.

6-21 Dresden Files 1-14+Side Jobs+Rest of the Short Stories, by Jim Butcher
Mostly re-reads to prepare for the newest Dresden book. The Bigfoot-short stories were new to me & definitely worth the hassle to get. (They're only in unrelated short-story anthologies)

22. Words of Radiance (The Stormlight Archives #2), By Brandon Sanderson
Bit of a disappointment. I generally like Sanderson Magic with technical hard rules, but this book just kept meandering on and on. I'd probably read to 3rd book if it was last one, but apparently there's (too) many sequels left in series.

23-28. Merchant Princes #1-6, By Charles Stross
First fantasy series with Bush Administration as "bad guys". An entertaining leftist romp.

29. Legion, By Brandon Sanderson
Sanderson is best when he is writing shorter fiction. Very good novel concepts that don't overstay their welcome (see: Stormlight Archives) with thousands of pages.

30. Crimson Campaign - Powder Mage #2, by Brian McClellan
31. Hope's End, The Girl of Hrusch Avenue & Forsworn, by Brian McClellan
2nd Part of the Powder Mage + it's companion short story prequels. They were ok:ish continuation, but I'm smelling a "Destined fight to save world from ultimate evil(tm)"-end for the trilogy, which would be a bit disappointing.

32. Atrocity Archives, by Charles Stross
A re-read before reading the newest part of the series.

33-45. Otherworld #1-13, by Kelley Armstrong
Reading these was mostly inspired by seeing the trashy Urban fantasy series "Bitten".
I consider these ok, but I'm fan of the genre. I just left wondering how they're going to continue tv-series, as the protanists (and support cast) change almost completely every 1-2 books.

46. The Skin Game (Dresden Files #15), by Jim Butcher
This was a bit of a letdown. Read and

47. A Call to Arms (The Damned #1), by Alan Dean Foster
48. The False Mirror (The Damned #2), by Alan Dean Foster
49. The Spoils of War (The Damned #3), by Alan Dean Foster
Based on novel idea, that the Humans are the most brutal, vicious and capable killing machines on the whole galaxy*. With most "Civilized" Species being uncapable of killing, the humans are uplifted and recruited to fight the war against enemy coalition. Highly entertaining for a Mil-Sci.
*Or at least the local sector.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

adhuin posted:

4. Shadow's Edge - Night Angel #2, by Brent Weeks (Won't be reading the third part)
5. Mirror Earth: The Search for our Planet's twin, by Michael D. Lemonick
6-21 Dresden Files 1-14+Side Jobs+Rest of the Short Stories, by Jim Butcher
22. Words of Radiance (The Stormlight Archives #2), By Brandon Sanderson
23-28. Merchant Princes #1-6, By Charles Stross
29. Legion, By Brandon Sanderson
30. Crimson Campaign - Powder Mage #2, by Brian McClellan
31. Hope's End, The Girl of Hrusch Avenue & Forsworn, by Brian McClellan
32. Atrocity Archives, by Charles Stross
33-45. Otherworld #1-13, by Kelley Armstrong
46. The Skin Game (Dresden Files #15), by Jim Butcher
47-49. The Damned #1-3), by Alan Dean Foster

I finished mine during summer, but didn't bother to update. :effort:.

50 The Winter Long: October daye #8, by Seanan Mcguire
a Series that I should have stopped reading few books earlier when the series peaked. Pretty standard issue Female Urban Fantasy (FuF for short :v: )

51-57. Witcher #1-5+2, by Andrzej Sapkowski
2 Short Story collections about Witcher Geralt, which are an excellent introduction to the world or just to expand the knowledge for gamers (like me).
If you've played either of games or are anxiously waiting for the 3rd game, these books are made for you.
The 5-part main series is more a story of his adopted daughter Ciri, which start promisingly, but either the fan-translations are poor (which they probably are) or the story just falls little flat at the last 2 book.
Still very good books, but the short stories are essential reading.

After I read those books (during summer), I had a serious book burnout and didn't read anything for about 5 months. I Had nothing to read and didn't really look for it.

Then came notification from Harry Connollys kickstarter, that the books were finished. Originally they ought have been out in summer, but like many others, they were delayed.

58-60 The Great Way #1-3, by Harry Connolly
The Main product, that I kickstarted for based on his 20th palace books. Frankly they're pretty average fantasy. Premise of Predator-prey relations and how humans do, when they aren't top predator is a good concept, but Connolly can't handle it properly. First 2 books are interesting survival books, but 3rd book feels like 2 books worth of development is crammed in single book, with end twist that literally comes out of nowhere. Still pretty readable entertainment, that left bad taste from ending.

61 A Key, an Egg, an Unfortunate remark, by Harry Connolly
This one-off book from same kickstarter is the actually good book. An Urban Fantasy Conspiracy/murder story with an actual pacifist lead. And it works splendidly.

• Locked thread