Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.
Since I slowed down and only finished half of last year's goal of 52, I'm making this year's goal 30 books.

Here's my Goodreads profile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Dirty Frank posted:

2) The Secret Adversary by Agatha Christy

Utter shite, first book by Christy I've read I thought id like it based on Poirot off the TV. Apparently not. I'm interested if this is representative of her work or not.

That's not really a great one. I'd try reading one of her classics that stars Poirot, like 'The Murder of Roger Ackroyd', 'Death on the Nile', or 'Murder on the Orient Express' and see what you think. 'And Then There Were None' is also considered one of her best, and I loved 'Crooked House'. But if you don't get hooked in on one of those I mentioned, I'd give up, because they're all kind of a similar style after a while. I read them all as a teenager, but probably wouldn't re-read very many of them now.

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

ProfessorProf posted:

Ackroyd is unfair bullshit, but the rest of these are probably good suggestions.

Yes, I agree, but it was uniquely unfair bullshit that influenced the mystery genre significantly. However, Crooked House and And Then There Were None are hopefully a lot less frustrating to read. If I remember correctly, Crooked House was one of Christie's personal favourites.

• Locked thread